Default cost of fire sprinkler system

OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: cost of fire sprinkler system

Answering my own question, I found $1.00 - 1.50 per square foot. Anyone think that's realistic, or not?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Answering my own question, I found $1.00 - 1.50 per square foot. Anyone think that's realistic, or not?
    John:

The NAHB, the biggest whiners since the ICC's decision to require the sprinklers, says in their propaganda that the median cost is $5573 on the median size home of 2271 s.f. So that's about $2.45 per s.f. Of course, that is the cost to the builders. The final cost passed on to the home buyer is $6677 or $2.94 per s.f.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Except in some circumstances - homes far from fire departments, or homes built with 5' of separation from each other, IMO sprinkler systems in single family detached homes as unnecessary. Oh well, what are you going to do? Home builders will just pass the costs onto the consumer.

Some might think that the building code is written with only the interest of the public at heart. This is not entirely true. Just like politics, there are representatives from various industries who put forth recommendations to add or subtract items from the codes that help their industry. In this case the people who sell fire protection systems won. Does it protect the public? Perhaps, but I've seen far more water damaged homes than fire damaged ones.

Thomas Watt Guest

That's because the water-damaged homes are still standing.

Thomas (a sprinklerman)