mathew stouffer Guest

Default Cracks in basement flooring

I write these up but typically don't make a huge deal out of it. These were about 1/4 wide, maybe a little less, with slight displacment. The place is only a year old. This is on the basement floor. In this case I am just thinking is may get worse. Your thoughts.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Cracks in basement flooring

The displacement is the part I don't like. I'd err on the side of caution and recommend a SE.

Basement floor is non structural, likely due to concrete mix, too much water, and shrinkage and subsidence due to disturbed soil under floor.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks. Do you ever recommend having the cracks sealed.

Yes if the floor is going to be finished buy I also advise homeowner not to be in rush to finish the basement and if they can wait for a year to ensure no leakage from foundation, let framing dry out, and to ensure the floor does not subside further...

David Bell Guest

I would take issue with picture 2 showing distress at a part of the wall that is carrying a beam above.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I write these up but typically don't make a huge deal out of it. These were about 1/4 wide, maybe a little less, with slight displacment. The place is only a year old. This is on the basement floor. In this case I am just thinking it may get worse. Your thoughts.
    From the pics you have posted here before of new construction in your area, it's a good bet that floor is a screw-up.
    That displacement is a sign of poor preparation, and the size of the crack could be due to way too much water in the mix. They do this to make the concrete flow easier, guys who don't stick around to see the results, that is.

After a month or so, shrinkage should be slowed right down, but settlement may continue as the loose dirt under there sags from the weight. Ray is right, give it a year to cure.

Where I live, the floor is almost always a separate entity from the foundation, so we don't worry as much about shrinkage cracks, but that much cracking would still get a negative comment.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Something about that 2nd picture doesn't look right... why is the perimeter foundation so close to the same level as the slab? It almost looks like the foundation sits slightly lower than the slab. And, what's the post sitting on? I can't say it's wrong from the picture but it just looks odd.

Edit - Is there even a foundation that is a separate pour from the slab? It looks like it might be the same.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Pic #2 shows anchor bolts securing those stud walls to the slab floor.

I've never liked the idea of advising somebody to live with the issue for a year to see if it gets worse or there is no change. If it does change for the worse and becomes structural, the problem is now all theirs. The inspection is the time to identify issues and look into repairs.

I'm not a "the sky is falling" type of person but if I didn't recommend any action for the cracked slab, I'd probably lay awake at night thinking about how that crack runs right under the wall that is built on the slab and worry about getting a phone call from my client saying they now have a big bill for repairs.