Thread: Butt flashing

Default Butt flashing

Was this ever a flashing option with Hardie Board? Home is 2004 and I only have 2007 installation instructions.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Butt flashing

H channel is approved, but not with a nail through it. Kind of defeats the purpose.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    H channel is approved, but not with a nail through it. Kind of defeats the purpose.
    The good news is; all of the moisture damage will be localized down the center of the walls.

I didn't remember the exterior flashing being an option with Hardie Bd.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Vern Heiler; 04-01-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add pic

Butt flashing? Isn't that something kids do sitting on the couch with a lighter?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I just had a house with this flashing a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I could recall seeing it. At first I thought is was some home cooked attempt at fixing crappy siding but all the houses on the street had it..... or, at least the ones that hadn't re-sided. FWIW, the siding was completely trashed, especially around the flashing.

I think I know why I haven't seen much of it

That looks like MaxiTile MaxiPlank more than HardiePlank.

I have HardiePlank installation instructions back to 2001 and none of them show that "H" clip at the ends.

I only have a 2013 MaxiTile ( MAXITILE | MaxiPLANK Lap Siding ) MaxiPlank ( http://www.maxitile.com/installation/maxiplank.pdf ) and it does not show that "H" clip either.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

http://www.certainteed.com/resources/fc017.pdf pg 36 Not Hardi plank instructions but I don't believe the picture shows Hardiplank. Hardiplank recommends back flashing but accepts "other approved meathods". Joints should be staggered by at least 2 stud bays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    http://www.certainteed.com/resources/fc017.pdf pg 36 Not Hardi plank instructions but I don't believe the picture shows Hardiplank. Hardiplank recommends back flashing but accepts "other approved meathods". Joints should be staggered by at least 2 stud bays.
    thanks for the link Ken. I do not know that it is "Hardie" but most of the cement board installed in this area is, and I am guilty of calling it all "Hardie" kinda like all tissue is "Kleenex". I did find the H' clip in the certainteed installation instructions; the flashing in the op is not an H' clip! I also noticed that Certainteed does not have a 2" clearance to roof and other surfaces as Hardie does.
    Thanks again to all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I did find the H' clip in the certainteed installation instructions; the flashing in the op is not an H' clip!
    It's not an H clip? If it's just a piece of metal nailed over the surface it's wrong. Well, any way you look at it it's wrong.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Butt flashing? Isn't that something kids do sitting on the couch with a lighter?
    I thought butt flashing was what plumbers do when they bend over and their shirt is too short.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey