Thread: double vision?

Default double vision?

For some reason the sellers are insisting there is only one pump in this sump.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: double vision?

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    For some reason the sellers are insisting there is only one pump in this sump.

John,

They meant one "working" pump.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Did you ask about their one children?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Did you ask about their one children?
    It's Pronounced Chill - Drens !
    * thank you so much.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I see the float for the pump on the left. What about the one on the right? How will that one get activated.

You might have to teach me about a design that I don't know about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I see the float for the pump on the left. What about the one on the right? How will that one get activated.

You might have to teach me about a design that I don't know about.

Thanks
    Newer pumps have no external floats. They have some kind of internal mechanism I won't pretend to know in detail.
    However, I do know that some or all of the ones with internal activators have a little tube sticking out of the cord plug, and if vacuum is applied to that tube, it will cause the pump to run briefly. I imagine that true professionals have some kind of bulb they use to do this, but I like to keep my immune system alert so I suck on the thing and then quickly put my thumb over it to hold the vacuum while plugging it back in.
    I know, I know, it's not very sanitary, but I can't remember the last time I was sick, so...

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Ah yes, now I remember. Try one of these John.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    ...some or all of the ones with internal activators have a little tube sticking out of the cord plug, and if vacuum is applied to that tube, it will cause the pump to run briefly....
    I did a little research and apparently the tube projecting from the plug is there to provide air to regulate some internal diaphragm and not primarily there to provide a way of forcing the pump to run, which is what I use it for.
    I read that sometimes a spider will block up the tube, or presumably any kind of debris could, and cause the pump to run continuously. Who knew?

Rick Fifield Guest

That is a battery backup pump. See the deep cycle battery in the black box in the photo? It has a charger plugged in nearby. Power goes off on a rainy day - no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fifield View Post
    That is a battery backup pump. See the deep cycle battery in the black box in the photo? It has a charger plugged in nearby. Power goes off on a rainy day - no problem.
    I realize there is a battery backup pump, but are you saying the whole thing, all of the equipment in the sump, is one pump? That seems to be what the sellers are saying. I don't really know what their problem is. The was a warning light on the batter backup indicating that either the battery was bad or the terminals had bad connections. That's all I reported and for some reason they're arguing about how many pumps there are.

Ted Menelly Guest

I see what looks like in the pic solid oak flooring glued directly to the concrete basement floor. If it is I hope you wrote that up. Matter of fact I don't think the manufacturers of laminate harwoods or any laminate be glued directly to the concrete, or, a floating laminate over a basement floor. Obviously the water is right there under and around the slab and wall and the moisture coming up thru will be fairly extreme.

Actually I do believe all hardwood and laminate floor manufacs say not to be installed below grade.

Rick Fifield Guest

There are definately two pumps. One for 120 volts and one for 12 volts. I suppose they could function together in certain conditions, but the 12 volt pump is the backup during power failure. I'm not certain what the issue is. Two are better than one.