Brian Harwood Guest

Default Nightmare Roof Framing on Addition

Recent inspection of a Florida home built in 2002 home with a 2005 lanai addition. Roof framing has some issues... conventional rafters 2' apart, poor connections. I'm new to inspections and would appreciate the identification of other issues with the framing that I may have missed. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Nightmare Roof Framing on Addition

"Recommend evaluation by a licensed structural engineer."

Wow. Did they have drawings and/or permits for this addition? Are those pieces just resting on the old roof? They don't even look toenailed.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

HA HA HA!!! What a friggin' disaster. I bet you needed eye drops after looking at that crap.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

My comment would be something like "Amateur framing needs extensive repair by a qualified builder".

Some issues are 1) Those props should rest on a plank or plate laid flat on the old roof. 2) At the hip, the new rafters should be directly opposed to each other. 3) Rafter braces installed by a carpenter will typically be perpendicular to the rafter, coming down at an angle to the support below. 4) I doubt there are enough tie-down straps to satisfy Florida building standards. 5) Collar ties?
    6) The old roof should have sufficient holes cut in it to allow for ventilation into the new attic and for access.
    7) Nobody seems to worry about an attic fire, but if it happens, that will be a hot fire impossible to get at safely.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks to all for your responses, and yes, permits were pulled and the county inspection signed off. Scaaaaarrrry!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    Thanks to all for your responses, and yes, permits were pulled and the county inspection signed off. Scaaaaarrrry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    ... with a 2005 lanai addition.
    Anything happen around that time you can think of which lead to overwhelmed inspection departments? (I'm not making excuses, just pointing out facts which may have allowed that result.)
    Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne all hit Florida, and three of them crossed Central Florida, the first of which is now referred to as a "design event" storm.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com