Default Code of Ethics Question

In our questionable economy I am looking for other ways to increase revenue. So many times I inspect electrical panels that are not labeled correctly. I have the equipment and the know how to properly label the panel and perform a load calculation on circuits. Does anyone know if doing this as an additional service is considered working on the home which would be a violation of the code of ethics? Any input greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Code of Ethics Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anglin View Post
    In our questionable economy I am looking for other ways to increase revenue. So many times I inspect electrical panels that are not labeled correctly. I have the equipment and the know how to properly label the panel and perform a load calculation on circuits. Does anyone know if doing this as an additional service is considered working on the home which would be a violation of the code of ethics? Any input greatly appreciated.
    If it is part of the Washington SOP to note that a panel is labeled or not, then I would say that it would not be the thing that you would want to be doing.

I have found that if you have to question or ask if something is ethical or not then usually it is not.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I question it because the WA state SOP says that we cannot make repairs on a house for 1 year after the home is inspected. Is labeling a panel considered a repair? I guess I'm thinking of it more as an additional service as opposed to a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anglin View Post
    I question it because the WA state SOP says that we cannot make repairs on a house for 1 year after the home is inspected. Is labeling a panel considered a repair? I guess I'm thinking of it more as an additional service as opposed to a repair.
    If you call it out as a deficiency (I do) then to make it not be deficient would be.. a... (come on say it with me!) a... Repair!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Got it. Thank you

John Steinke Guest

Sounds like electrical work and engineering work; are you licensed to do work, either as an electrical contractor or as a professional engineer?