Thread: UPS curiosity

Default UPS curiosity

I know this may make me sound like a pathetic lifeless dork but nonetheless... Does anyone else ever lookup the UPS tracking info for a package? Is anyone else ever fascinated by the travels that your package takes?
    Whenever I'm expecting a package I check the UPS tracking, not because I need to. The package will get here when it does, not really critical for me. I check because I'm fascinated by the routes and transfers that packages go through.
    I know, bring on the slams

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Darin Redding Guest

Default Re: UPS curiosity

Absolutely! It is interesting to see your package bouncing around the U.S.

Maybe this is a case that WE have "too much time on our hands"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Does anyone else ever lookup the UPS tracking info for a package?

Huh?

You mean there is a way to track UPS packages?

I thought they either got there or they did not, and if they did not you get a call asking "Where is my package?" - I thought THAT was "UPS tracking".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I always do the same. That way I know where they lost it at.

rick

I do it too. Especially when it's to feed the flashahoilic addiction.

Am I the only one who simply drops it off and EXPECTS nothing but the finest outcome?

That the package WILL be delivered.

And who does not care where on earth (literally) it goes on its journey there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Its amazing how many chances they get to smash the item.

I find most of the issues are poor packing. Tried to order one item 3 times and it was broke every time.

The usps has a system that relieves them of a lot of claims.

The first person who handles the item can smash it and then the 2nd person slaps a sticker on it that says "damaged upon receipt"

Jim Zborowski Guest

I'm thinking if you maybe create a little UPS truck on a map, with your house on the map, it could be a bit more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Its amazing how many chances they get to smash the item.

I find most of the issues are poor packing. Tried to order one item 3 times and it was broke every time.

The usps has a system that relieves them of a lot of claims.

The first person who handles the item can smash it and then the 2nd person slaps a sticker on it that says "damaged upon receipt"
    About 10-15 years ago I had a notebook computer crash, send it back to Compaq under warranty, they repaired it, shipped it back, I was in my office and looking out the window to see the DHL person slid it up our front porch like it was a bowling ball and it hit the raised slab under the door with a crash - he just walked away.

I called DHL and Compaq and told them what happened, the DHL delivery person had just broken the display and explained how he did it.

They picked that up, replaced the screen, shipped it back, the DHL delivery person did the same bowling act and broke it again. Called Compaq and DHL.

Same thing the third time, called Compaq and DHL again.

The fourth time the driver walked it to the door, and knowing I must be there watching him, v-e-r-y carefully set it down, patted it gently, and said to whomever was in the vicinity "There, *I* did not break it this time.", and he was right, it was not broken.

I suspect he truly got reamed out and maybe even had to fork up some money for the other ones, I don't know, but I do know he was truly pissed that he kept getting caught.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Truss Guy Guest

For an additional fee you can also track pretty much any piece of mail sent through the USPS. The service is included for Express Mail. I used to sell things on E-bay and I did it all the time.

It is silly how far a package can go that you send to somebody in your own home town.

K Robertson Guest

When you absolutely positively have to have it through 3 countries before reaching you when it was sent from your next door neighbor! Hey, we all want to know we got our money's worth!

Mitchell Meeks Guest

On the rare occasions that I have had something come, I have tracked it as well. The drivers do not ring the door bell, they just throw it up on the porch. Because I have email alerts. I will call one of my kids to go get it off of the porch. If I am not sure whether it has come, I will go and check my wireless camera and see if it is there.

How else will you find out about the dreaded "Exception" status..

(It should really say, "You're hosed".)

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Exclamation Re: UPS curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Meeks View Post
    On the rare occasions that I have had something come, I have tracked it as well. The drivers do not ring the door bell, they just throw it up on the porch. Because I have email alerts. I will call one of my kids to go get it off of the porch. If I am not sure whether it has come, I will go and check my wireless camera and see if it is there.
    I once had UPS leave a package on my porch without any signature. The package contained a check for $200,000 for refinancing my house.

Last edited by Mike Truss Guy; 05-28-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Add quote

Whenever I tell this story people don't believe it but it is true. My son was waiting for a new radio for his car from Crutchfield. Fed Ex could not find the package. It was supposed to be a two day delivery and it was over a week late. While waiting for Fed Ex to process the loss claim and get another radio from Crutchfield I drove my son to a neighboring town for a visit. As we turned into the street I was driving him to, we spotted a package in the street gutter, in plain sight, and dry as a bone, evidently recently lost.

Yes it was. Yes they did.

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    Whenever I tell this story people don't believe it but it is true. My son was waiting for a new radio for his car from Crutchfield. Fed Ex could not find the package. It was supposed to be a two day delivery and it was over a week late. While waiting for Fed Ex to process the loss claim and get another radio from Crutchfield I drove my son to a neighboring town for a visit. As we turned into the street I was driving him to, we spotted a package in the street gutter, in plain sight, and dry as a bone, evidently recently lost.

Yes it was. Yes they did.

You have got to be kidding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Meeks View Post
    You have got to be kidding!!!
    See? That's what everyone says. But I did make him return the second radio as a lesson in honesty.

Matt Vozzella Guest

I only track packages when they are goodies for me. Exhaust, intakes etc. If it's the wife's special skin moisturizer/sunblock I could care less.

archivoyeur Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Am I the only one who simply drops it off and EXPECTS nothing but the finest outcome?

That the package WILL be delivered.

And who does not care where on earth (literally) it goes on its journey there.
    Jerry, I'm with you. I have enough anal micromanagement to do without monitoring UPS -
    HOWEVER - IF I ever did want to know where my package went after Albany, D.C., and Chicago - I could just ask the architect at the next desk who keeps the tracking displayed window-in-window every time a package leaves the office, until it meets it's destination.
    Really... Oh, umm, Hi C.H.!, just talking about you...

Quote Originally Posted by archivoyeur View Post
    without monitoring UPS -
    HOWEVER - IF I ever did want to know where my package went after Albany, D.C., and Chicago -

If my package wanted me to know where it was 24/7 it would send me e-mails saying "Hi, I just left London and am en route to Antarctica to the Polar Research Station, from there my itinerary shows my next stop is Paris, I am scheduled to be back in town and across the street after stopping by Beijing."

Hmmmm ... maybe UPS or FedEx will institute a new program where every time a package is scanned it sends out an e-mail like I posted above - that would be cool ... at first, then I'd tire of it ... 'How on earth do I keep that friggin' thing off my screen, it is driving me crazy' (ummm ... or am I already crazy?)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Actually all you need to do is give them your E-mail address and they can automatically notify you whenever there is a status update right up until your package is delivered. It take very little effort other than reading the E-mails.

Your package is sitting outside Dunkin Donuts in the truck.
    When the driver is done with breakfast we will let you know...

pathetic lifeless dork but nonetheless...
    You said it! Not me!

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Russel Ray Guest

I just tracked a brand new Canon digital SLR camera from Brooklyn to Connecticut to Connecticut to San Diego to Chula Vista to me. It was exciting knowing almost exactly when it was to arrive at my office door steps, and since I know when the UPS guy comes by my office door step, I knew almost exactly when it was going to get here. The UPS guy came three minutes early that day.

I once shipped a FedEx package overnight from downtown San Diego to Escondido, 35 miles north. I just didn't want to drive it up there. It got delayed for three days in Frankfurt, Kentucky, I believe it was, due to a horrendous ice storm. Huh? You shipped my package to Kentucky when it only needed to go 35 miles north of me? That was the system at the time, and that's when I started tracking packages just to see what kind of journey I was sending them on.

Be sure before you go ripping a package open you found on your front porch that is actually yours.

I had a UPS package on our porch and tore into it only to find lets say some unusual "toys".

It was for my neighbours across the street. They were on vacation so the delivery guy left it on my porch. They put packages on the porch like they were paperboys as I once was. Hit the porch from the street.

Once I seen they were back from their trip, I dropped the package off on their porch at like 3 am. one morning. I didn't even tape the box back shut.

Not a word have I ever mentioned to them about it.

rick