Thread: Opinion please

Default Opinion please

This question is somewhat silly but please bare with me. My credibility is being challenged by two different contractors as to what is "not" there, in these images which is what was stated.
    So if you guys (base on the pics) can tell me what things you see, if anything.
    I appreciate it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Opinion please

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    This question is somewhat silly but please bare with me. My credibility is being challenged by two different contractors as to what is "not" there, in these images which is what was stated.
    So if you guys (base on the pics) can tell me what things you see, if anything.
    I appreciate it.
    A vent is venting in the attic. It looks like there was a fire in the attic, vents pipe are coming loose.
    The photo was taken @ 8:30 or the clock was broken.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Round vent unattached venting to interior area, no thimble, no fitting, no transition or connection to vent to exterior termination. Eyes tired and not blowing up well looks like SW and as suggested by other photographs, in attic. Hard to determine scale or proximity. ABS plumbing vent shouldn't be w/in 12" of SW, releases cyanide when exposed to high temps or flames.

Unrestrained insulation in contact with Type BW(?)Vent. Rusting evident.
    Apparently pierced (or nearly) at least two places by nails.

Lacking/missing: insulation dams; clearance (shielding were required); fire stops/collars and supports - listed componants or field fabrications; and transition to exterior venting terminal.

I agree the clock hands are at 8:30. Might just not be wound, or pend. removed for moving around and while in storage.

If that is what I think it is (eyes tired, can't quite make out certainly looks like): UnGuarded lamps in attic used for storage; Ballasted portable type light mounted on ridge beam - also lacking clearance for reflector/housing type and apparently used as permanent fixture.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Tom Thompson Guest

The double wall piping wasn't joined properly. it's leaking up the outer wall. The nails were used as stand offs, some areas don't have 1" clearance to combustibles.

Is this a contest? The rafter framing is unconventional, but lapping the ends like that over a beam makes a strong roof. I don't see any charred wood.

There may be some leakage where you've put the arrows. Can't see the ends of the 2 nails. Standoffs sounds possible to me.
    The open vent pipe is wrong, but is it in use or just laying there?
    Could the open vent be causing the corrosion on the other?

The clock seems to have stopped because it still says 8:30.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Is this a contest? The rafter framing is unconventional, but lapping the ends like that over a beam makes a strong roof. I don't see any charred wood.

There may be some leakage where you've put the arrows. Can't see the ends of the 2 nails. Standoffs sounds possible to me.
    The open vent pipe is wrong, but is it in use or just laying there?
    Could the open vent be causing the corrosion on the other?

The clock seems to have stopped because it still says 8:30.
    No contest...just want to see, what you see in the images.

OK, I suspect the open vent pipe is an exhaust vent and is causing the stains on the upright vent pipe and on the rafter, just from the pics here. The insulation needs to be pulled back and checked for moisture.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Staining on the vent pipe suggests overheating of the vent pipe and possibly the adjacent ridge beam.

I'm going to be optimistic about human nature and choose to believe from what I can see that the open ended piece of pipe is just laying there and is not connected to anything...it's very clean on the interior portion we can see in the pic.

The clock did not stop at 8:30....the hour hand is just shy of the 8 and the minute hand is at 29....you guys have become too accustomed to digital clocks ...That clock is broken or the hands have been moved since the winding ran out last.

Tom Thompson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Thompson View Post
    The double wall piping wasn't joined properly. it's leaking up the outer wall. The nails were used as stand offs, some areas don't have 1" clearance to combustibles.
    The discoloration on the ridge beam and rafters is most likely due to the heat rise from the leaking combustion vent, it can reach in excess of 500 degrees, as you know heat rises, it will be hotter as you rise. Make sure the vent cap on the roof is in place and not restricted as this could greatly intensify the danger.

Ted Menelly Guest

The discoloration on the ridge beam and rafters is most likely due to the heat rise from the leaking combustion vent, it can reach in excess of 500 degrees, as you know heat rises, it will be hotter as you rise. Make sure the vent cap on the roof is in place and not restricted as this could greatly intensify the danger.

Severe fire hazard due to gross mistakes in the attempt to building proper flues for the venting of spent gasses as well as the flues that are actually connected they are attached to the wood and leaking severely. This home is a fire waiting to happen and the attached appliances should not be used until the proper Trade (HVAC, PLUMBER etc)

The fire department will be happy to entertain the fools as to what is and what is not a fire hazard/health hazard to any occupant in the home. While they are at it an inspection should be scheduled from the city as even the worse city inspector in any city will immediately note the danger of this system.

Ted/Tom/H.G. etc.., I agree 100%... right on. My inspection report even discussed the possibility of pyrolysis behind the BW vent as this area isnt visible. And being so close to that type of heat for so long (up to 20 years), I was afraid of the possiblity of wood decomposition.
    Anyhow, one of the individuals who inspected the area was a local FIRE CAPTAIN. Who said "this was not a fire hazard". HUH !?!? WTH?? Needless to say, everyone thought I was an idiot after that.
    The seller agent provided all the contractor analysis, So basically, my client is/was getting rail-roaded. Just another day at the office I guess...

Tom Thompson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Ted/Tom/H.G. etc.., I agree 100%... right on. My inspection report even discussed the possibility of pyrolysis behind the BW vent as this area isnt visible. And being so close to that type of heat for so long (up to 20 years), I was afraid of the possiblity of wood decomposition.
    Anyhow, one of the individuals who inspected the area was a local FIRE CAPTAIN. Who said "this was not a fire hazard". HUH !?!? WTH?? Needless to say, everyone thought I was an idiot after that.
    The seller agent provided all the contractor analysis, So basically, my client is/was getting rail-roaded. Just another day at the office I guess...
    Marc M;
    At least your an alive idiot, as the carbon monoxide leaking is deadly, maybe not an immediate fire danger.

Marc M;
    At least your an alive idiot, as the carbon monoxide leaking is deadly, maybe not an immediate fire danger.
    Yea...it was terrible up there. The exhaust fumes were pretty bad.

Question Re: Opinion please

What was that BW vent attached to?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

I think you all missed the most crucial point in that the clock was really at 7:29 and how do you know that it had stopped.

H.G. really surprised at you for making an assumption of fact not put into evidence, clock not working. You must have been tires when you posted.

Was the local Fire Captain trained and certificated in performing fire hazard inspections or just the sellers cousin.

Marc, did you perform a CO test?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    What was that BW vent attached to?
    Bob, its hard to say but If i had to guess, its the water heater. The B I believe is the furnace.