Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ray J. Guest

Exclamation We Need Inspectors and/or People with Construction Experience

Hello Everyone,

We are in need of people who have construction experience and/or site inspection experience.

We have projects throughout the nation and we are always looking for good, reliable people.

Our business is constantly expanding into new locations and finding the right person for a specific location is important to us.

If you have a good eye for detail then you need to contact us.

If you think you might be interested, then you need to go to our pre-qualification questionnaire page to see if you are the right fit for our type of work. Please go to:

On-Site Inspector

Thanks for listening and we hope to hear from you.

--
    Ray

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: We Need Inspectors and/or People with Construction Experience

Hi Ray,

Do you have a website for this company?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Hi Ray,

Do you have a website for this company?

Or company name

Or last name

Or exactly what beside what is listed that you do and who for

and

and

and

I for one just love those no information adds and requaets for someone elses information.

Ray J. Guest

Hello Gentlemen,

Yes, we are a legitimate company, and no we do not use your information for any advertising of any kind. We don't work that way. We are professionals just like you.

We do have a website for the company, but due to certain restrictions of the parent company, I am not at liberty to post it.

I understand if that is frustrating - I would be too.

I can tell you this much; we do work all around the country and we look for qualified people for inspection type work.

I hope that helps....a little, anyway.

Respectfully,

--
    Ray

A.D. Miller Guest

Yes, we are a legitimate company
    Maybe.

and no we do not use your information for any advertising of any kind. We don't work that way. We are professionals just like you.
    Doubtful.

We do have a website for the company, but due to certain restrictions of the parent company, I am not at liberty to post it.
    B.U.L.L.L.S.H.I.T.

I understand if that is frustrating - I would be too.
    You are.

I can tell you this much; we do work all around the country and we look for qualified people for inspection type work.
    You appear to be looking for indentured shovel-leaners.

I hope that helps....a little, anyway.
    It did help to take up bandwidth.

Respectfully,
    Why, sure.

Aaron

Ray J. Guest

Hello A.D.:

I am sorry you feel that way. We're not twisting anybody's arms; including yours.

We are just looking for people who are interested. Obviously your not.

--
    Ray

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray J. View Post
    Hello A.D.:

I am sorry you feel that way. We're not twisting anybody's arms; including yours.

We are just looking for people who are interested. Obviously your not.

--
    Ray
    Ray: Nothing personal, you understand. I just don't like evasive tactics, especially from someone is asking for personal information on a forum intended to disseminate technical advice to inspectors.This is not a job fair.

Does the term slick evoke any images for you?

Aaron

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Ray,

I submitted my information to you.

Feel free to call if you have any questions or need additional info.

Bob Spermo Guest

Ray,

It looks like you do inspections for insurance companies. If that is the case they can fill in blank time and are not very difficult. Your pay scale is above most of the insurance inspections I have seen/done. I gave you a try and sent you the required info which wasn't very personal!

Ray J. Guest

Thank you Joseph and Bob, I saw that we received both of your profiles.

We will be looking both of them over and, most likely, be calling you to discuss more.

Thanks you.

--
    Ray

I submitted my information as well.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Fred Warner Guest

Seems like it's a fee company doing inspections for insurance companies. I once worked for 2 fee companies at the same time who represented many insurance companies. I made pretty good $$ and set my own schedule. There was a fast turn around in pay, too. There were a few days when I just happened to drive right by a golf course. Imagine the planning that took.

Ray J. Guest

Hello Scott:

We received your profile, also. We will most likely be giving you a call to discuss more. Thanks.

--
    Ray

Ray,

I sent off my info. as well.

Hopefully since you are in OR, you have work here as well....

I submitted my information to you.

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Ray,

I have submitted my information as well.

Talk to you soon.

MaMa Mount Guest

This has got BS written all over it. Wake up boyz.

Ron Bibler Guest

I that red hair? what happen to the blue. how about a blonde next time.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    This has got BS written all over it. Wake up boyz.
    MMM: That's what I'm talking about. This fast talkin' "inshowanz salezmin" has bowled these timid PC diplomats over with his sleaze.

Q-Tips are in order immediately following a mass blinder removal ballet performed with bleach water.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    MMM: That's what I'm talking about. This fast talkin' "inshowanz salezmin" has bowled these timid PC diplomats over with his sleaze.

Q-Tips are in order immediately following a mass blinder removal ballet performed with bleach water.
    Hey, it can't hut a thing to look into it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The information they are requesting is fairly benign.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Hey, it can't hut a thing to look into it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The information they are requesting is fairly benign.
    Scott: Sorry, I was being crass and judgmental as usual. Here's the thing though: I will not do an inspection for $175. Not any kind of inspection. I won't leave my office for $175. I won't drive for $0.48 per mile. Not one mile, AND, I will not work for insurance companies. Not any insurance companies. Not for any reason. No way. Won't work for lenders either. Not any of them. Lying-ass rip-off artists, the whole lot.

Hence my kind words for Ray With-No-Last-Name-and-No-Website-Address J. What DOES that J. stand for? Would you like some ideas on that?

But, in the spirit of following the herd, since everyone else did, and because it is simply the right thing to do, I hereby submit my profile to Ray J.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Scott: Sorry, I was being crass and judgmental as usual. Here's the thing though: I will not do an inspection for $175. Not any kind of inspection. I won't leave my office for $175. I won't drive for $0.48 per mile. Not one mile, AND, I will not work for insurance companies. Not any insurance companies. Not for any reason. No way. Won't work for lenders either. Not any of them. Lying-ass rip-off artists, the whole lot.
    Hey to each their own. If it was not for all of those $50, $75, $100, $150 residential draw inspections that I did this past year I would have had $41,300 less in sales. You just need to know how to work them and when to say that it is too far or you can't fit it into the schedule. Those little dollar inspections add up when you don't have the big dollar inspections.

I agree the mileage rate is a few cents lower than what the IRS allows.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Hey to each their own. If it was not for all of those $50, $75, $100, $150 residential draw inspections that I did this past year I would have had $41,300 less in sales. You just need to know how to work them and when to say that it is too far or you can't fit it into the schedule. Those little dollar inspections add up when you don't have the big dollar inspections.

I agree the mileage rate is a few cents lower than what the IRS allows.
    Scott: I grew up in a family where my father and step father were both insurance salesmen - yeah, buddy. Additionally, I have had v-e-r-y bad experiences with insurance agents and companies in the past. So, I just kinda don't like them much. I will say though that my current stable of insurance agents appear to be on the ball.

I just resent the whole idea of the insurance requirements imposed on me by law. Contributing my money to the sleaze that passes as business in companies like AIG, et al. is not my idea of fun.

And did I mention all of the exposes that come out weekly regarding insurers that red-line clients or just have corporate policies written in stone to deny claims? An insiders view of the business from an early age has permanently soured me toward these folks.

I have to deal with these bastards on the job from time to time when I pronounce a roof to be hail damaged and the crooks send out a half-blind moron adjuster who says nothing is wrong. I do get a bit of satisfaction from ripping them a new one at times like those, but it does not quite make up for having to be in such close proximity to known criminals.

So then, yes I completely understand that you may benefit from an association with them and still remain integrous. I just can't go there. I feel like the agent on the Matrix who is telling Morpheus, and I paraphrase here: "It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste their stink. And every time I do I feel infected by it. It's repulsive."

Well, you get the drift.

Aaron

Ted Menelly Guest

Now Aaron. Please explain. I am just not quite sure how you feel. Are you saying you don't like insurance folks???? I am not quite clear on your prospective.

Man. People actually think we folks that once lived in the north east are arogant and say things like they really are and how they really feel about them

Part of the beauty of running your own business is the freedom to choose who you do or do not work for. As a contractor, I wouldn't even consider bidding jobs for a developer or realtor. Life presents enough challenges at times without purposefully bringing sleazebags into it.
    As an inspector I don't work for anyone and everyone who calls. Would I work for an Ins. company? Maybe. I agree with Aaron that their paperwork is in it's own sleaze category.
    I checked this guys page, yes the info he asks for seems benign enough. However, with that info, (I) someone could gather the rest of the necessary info to steal your identity or create mischief.
    If someone wants to do business but isn't willing to say who they really are ... well no thanks.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Part of the beauty of running your own business is the freedom to choose who you do or do not work for. As a contractor, I wouldn't even consider bidding jobs for a developer or realtor. Life presents enough challenges at times without purposefully bringing sleazebags into it.
    As an inspector I don't work for anyone and everyone who calls. Would I work for an Ins. company? Maybe. I agree with Aaron that their paperwork is in it's own sleaze category.
    I checked this guys page, yes the info he asks for seems benign enough. However, with that info, (I) someone could gather the rest of the necessary info to steal your identity or create mischief.
    If someone wants to do business but isn't willing to say who they really are ... well no thanks.
    Amen.

Unfortunately, stealing one's identity is not difficult. Also, the info. he requested is readily available on the internet.........

Hey Ray,
    I throw my tw cent's also for northeastern Michigan

Fred Warner Guest

"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

I like that.

I tend to agree that the company should not be covert in their identity. The Fee Companies I worked for many years ago were very open. I was in my late twenties and doing these "fee" inspections for companies that worked for many, many insurance companies was fun and profitable.

Chuck Jones Guest

Ray,

Is there a fee for processing a formal application?

Were you once a sports professional? I seem to remember a previous request for applicants in another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    Just curious, any of you hear back from Ray J? Or is it too secret to tell us?

You weren't given the secret handshake and decoder ring? You are in trouble now ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Not yet.

Your survey responses have been recorded.
    This came up at the end when all the information was entered. I wonder what it actually means?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Not yet.

Your survey responses have been recorded.
    This came up at the end when all the information was entered. I wonder what it actually means?
    That means it was like just that ... a survey.

Like some of those other surveys "students" have posted here in the past?

Guessing you will not be getting that secret handshake and decoder ring, hmmmm ... does this mean Aaron was correct in his suspicions?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Not yet.

I haven't heard anything yet.
    Now I'm just waiting to see if I start getting spam from ole nickey or one of his associates to help him conquor the HI profession

Tom Phillips Guest

Dream on Dan. Don't think he would waste his time.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray J. View Post
    Hello Everyone,

We are in need of people who have construction experience and/or site inspection experience.

We have projects throughout the nation and we are always looking for good, reliable people.

Our business is constantly expanding into new locations and finding the right person for a specific location is important to us.

If you have a good eye for detail then you need to contact us.

If you think you might be interested, then you need to go to our pre-qualification questionnaire page to see if you are the right fit for our type of work. Please go to:

On-Site Inspector

Thanks for listening and we hope to hear from you.

--
    Ray
    So Ray, what does "Your survey responses have been recorded." mean? I haven't heard you saying anything more here.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That means it was like just that ... a survey.

Like some of those other surveys "students" have posted here in the past?

Guessing you will not be getting that secret handshake and decoder ring, hmmmm ... does this mean Aaron was correct in his suspicions?
    JP: Yep.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Bob Spermo Guest

I just received an email from the company. They are an engineering firm that does modular home foundation inspections throughout the country. They want home inspectors to look at the foundations, send in a report and their engineer signs it. It appears to be a legitimate operation.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    I just received an email from the company. They are an engineering firm that does modular home foundation inspections throughout the country. They want home inspectors to look at the foundations, send in a report and their engineer signs it. It appears to be a legitimate operation.
    Bob: Legitimate as in with a real street address, website address, phone number where you can speak with people with real names? That kind of legitimate?

Bob Spermo Guest

A.D.

They have Website, address, phone #, etc. I called and left a message. They do certifications for FHA/HUD loans for manufactured homes.

They want home inspectors to look at the foundations, send in a report and their engineer signs it.
    The HI looks at it, the PE signs it?

It appears to be a legitimate operation.
    And that is legit?

(I know, the PE can sign anything if they want to.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

The HI looks at it, the PE signs it?

And that is legit?

(I know, the PE can sign anything if they want to.)
    JP: So then, for the sake of argument, if you were prescribe me some pharmaceutical cocaine or marijuana, this company's doctor would sign the prescription?

That kind of legitimate?

MaMa Mount Guest

Mr. Aaron
    That would be the kind of medical plan I would enjoying having.

Bob Spermo Guest

Jerry,

Here is how a slab foundation is certified in Texas. Licensed engineer designs the slab and signs the plan and specifications. The pre-pour inspection may be conducted by the engineer or a "trained technician". The technician prepares the report and gives it to the engineer who then certifies the pre-pour inspection. Neither show up for the pour. About 2-3 weeks later the builder gets a signed/embossed seal copy of the slab certification. So yea it is legit for a non-engineer to look at the slab/pre-pour and have the engineer sign it.

Jerry,

Here is how a slab foundation is certified in Texas. Licensed engineer designs the slab and signs the plan and specifications. The pre-pour inspection may be conducted by the engineer or a "trained technician". The technician prepares the report and gives it to the engineer who then certifies the pre-pour inspection. Neither show up for the pour. About 2-3 weeks later the builder gets a signed/embossed seal copy of the slab certification. So yea it is legit for a non-engineer to look at the slab/pre-pour and have the engineer sign it.
    Which probably explains why we see so many bad foundations.

rick

Jerry,

Bob,

It can be done that way in Florida too, and here is it called Private Provider, but there is a difference ... a BIG difference ... here ... that 'technician' as you called them would need to be a state licensed building inspector (code inspector) and would need to be AN EMPLOYEE OF the engineering firm.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Jerry,

Bob: The practice is indeed common in Texas and elsewhere. Whether or not it is legitimate (as in "accordant with the law") is another question altogether. That is a matter that is decided on a case-by-case basis by a judge.

Most residential foundations in my part of the State of Texas are of the monolithic post-tensioned slab-on-ground type. Without dragging down the bandwidth to a dribble let's simply say this: Slab-on-ground, ribbed, mat or raft foundations on expansive soils shall be designed and constructed in accordance with WRI/CRSI Design of Slab-on-Ground Foundations or PTI Design and Construction of Post-Tensioned Slabs-On-Ground, International Residential Code R402.2, R403.1.6, R403.1.8 (and hence IBC 1805.8, as well as IBC 1805.8.2), R506, American Concrete Institute ACI 318-08, ACI SP-2(07), to include Post-Tensioning Institute CCS-1, and Construction and Maintenance Procedures Manual for Post-Tensioned Slab-On-Grade Construction, et al. as specified in the design professionals construction documents as they relate to the foundation.

It is the design professional's (engineer's) responsibility to both design and verify the construction of the foundation as per the prevailing building code and the referenced materials therein. If he personally oversees these matters he is performing due diligence. If he is delegating these responsibilities to a lackey without an engineering degree, he is not. Field inspections by non-engineer employees of engineering firms that result in reports which are submitted to engineers for their signature amount to testimony given by a witness who relates not what he or she knows personally, but what others have said, and that is therefore dependent on the credibility of someone other than the witness. In short it is hearsay.

Your statement that this sort of approval procedure by absent-from-the-field engineers is legitimate amounts to hearsay within hearsay. Or, in the common vernacular - doubly deep bulls.h.i.t.

Aaron

If he personally oversees these matters he is performing due diligence.
    Agreed.

If he is delegating these responsibilities to a lackey without an engineering degree, he is not.

In Florida he still is if ...

Field inspections by non-engineer employees of engineering firms that result in reports which are submitted to engineers for their signature

... if that "lackey" (your term, not mine and not that of the State of Florida either) is a "Special Inspector" (as licensed and certified by the State of Florida through the ICC) then that non-engineer, working for and under a duly licensed and registered engineer, then that person is not a "lackey" but a duly qualified individual who can serve as a Threshold Inspector under an approved engineering firm which is approved to do Threshold Inspections.

From the 2006 IBC.

SPECIAL INSPECTION.
    Inspection as herein required of
    the materials, installation, fabrication, erection or placement of
    components and connections requiring special expertise to
    ensure compliance with approved construction documents and
    referenced standards (see Section 1704).
    SPECIAL INSPECTION, CONTINUOUS.

The full-time
    observation of work requiring special inspection by an
    approved special inspector who is present in the area where the
    work is being performed.
    SPECIAL INSPECTION, PERIODIC.

The part-time or
    intermittent observation of work requiring special inspection
    by an approved special inspector who is present in the area
    where the work has been or is being performed and at the completion
    of the work.

For Special Inspector information, go here ( http://www.iccsafe.org/certification...09National.pdf ) and go to the bottom of page 5.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

In Florida he still is if ...
    JP: But Texas is indeed not Flahdah.

... if that "lackey" (your term, not mine and
    JP: It's a perfectly descriptive, though not technical, term.

an approved special inspector who is present in the area where the
    work is being performed.
    JP: The key term here is "approved".

Aaron

Rick Maday Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I sent mine in and got no reply as of yet.

Guess I just got scammed for my name, phone # and (infrequently used)email address.

Silly me.

From the 2006 IBC.

SPECIAL INSPECTION, CONTINUOUS.

The full-time

observation of work requiring special inspection by an
    approved special inspector who is present in the area where the
    work is being performed.
    JP: The key term here is "approved".
    You only included an excerpt of that, as there are two Special Inspection categories, you need to address each fully: Continuous or Periodic.

That said, the key term there is not just "approved", the key termS are "approved special inspector".

One can be "approved", but if one is not a "special inspector" it does not matter. Likewise, one can be a "special inspector" and if not also "approved" then it does not matter either.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

You only included an excerpt of that,
    JP: In this business nearly everything constitutes merely an excerpt. There is, to my knowledge, no authoritative statement in any endeavor that can be proven to end all others, with that of one's spouse.

Continuous or Periodic.
    JP: I am aware of that. But, you split hairs here. The are both required to be "approved". That is the key term, in my opinion.

One can be "approved", but if one is not a "special inspector" it does not matter. Likewise, one can be a "special inspector" and if not also "approved" then it does not matter either.
    JP: Agreed, but you take my statement completely out of context.

The crux of this issue lies in the fact that, at least in my experience, the design professionals send out just whichever schmuck happens to be malingering in the office at the time something needs to be inspected. There is essentially and technically nothing special about this person other than the fact that their number is up.

There are also requirements above and beyond what the ICC may address. A close reading of the PTI materials (and they are legion) will certainly lead one to believe that someone inspecting a PTI foundation must have a special skill set which qualifies him or her to properly conduct such an inspection. That goes for all of the other regs that chime in here - ACI, WRI, et al.

There's nothing special about many of the folks I have encountered in these circumstances: I perform a pre-placement inspection only to find 40 or 50 blatant violations of PTI, and therefore IBC and IRC, mandates. The municipal and design firm inspectors have preceded me and found nothing. Now THAT'S SPECIAL!

Aaron

Ted Menelly Guest

Hmm

I get a little giddy sometimes with being stumped for words at written posts on here.

I inspect pre pours all year (well, not much of anything right now)

Let me see. A hole in the ground and trenches running thru it , a bunch of steel running thru it, a set of stamped engineers plans for that foundaion with all the info you need, a tape measure, a little knowledge ???? What seems to be the problem.

You have a set of engineered plans, reviewed by the building department, stamped by the engineer and approved by the building department, you inspect the hole and the goodies in it to see if they match the plans

Whats the big deal???????????????????????????????

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Hmm

I get a little giddy sometimes with being stumped for words at written posts on here.

I inspect pre pours all year (well, not much of anything right now)

Let me see. A hole in the ground and trenches running thru it , a bunch of steel running thru it, a set of stamped engineers plans for that foundaion with all the info you need, a tape measure, a little knowledge ???? What seems to be the problem.

You have a set of engineered plans, reviewed by the building department, stamped by the engineer and approved by the building department, you inspect the hole and the goodies in it to see if they match the plans

Whats the big deal???????????????????????????????
    Ted: The "big deal" here, as you put it, is that there is a lot more too it than your simplistic statement might indicate. As an inspector it is not your job to depend upon the engineer or the municipal building inspection department to have done their jobs correctly. That is called assumption and not inspection.

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted: The "big deal" here, as you put it, is that there is a lot more too it than your simplistic statement might indicate. As an inspector it is not your job to depend upon the engineer or the municipal building inspection department to have done their jobs correctly. That is called assumption and not inspection.

Aaron

Yes that is all there is to it. An engineer has already done the investigation as to the type of soil and the area in concern and has designed the foundation to fit those conditions. The city reviews the engineers plans. They go to the builder then to the contractor doing the work. I get the plans (not all that often I do a pre pour inspection. Always get a call the afternoon before) I inspect the hole in the ground and the steel to see if they have followed the engineers plans and away you go.

There may be codes for foundations but the design/engineering/layout is put together by the engineer. Who is anyone to question the engineer about the engineering of the entire site and foundation design for that site. The design is not something they pulled out of there butt. Again the sites have engineering and the plans from the engineer are disigned for that site.

Yes, it is simplistic. The trenches, depth, steel, cables, connections etc. All on the plan.

That would be like saying that you found a bunch of concerns with a foundation. The engineer comes in and does his report and his layout for repairs and you say, ahhhh, nope, I ain't buying it. The engineer is full of crap.

Fact is. You have nothing more to go by other than the engineers plan. It is only your to to make sure the contractors abided by those engineered plans.

not arguing here. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I am guilty, often, of scanning and not reading the posts completely.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Aaron

Yes that is all there is to it. An engineer has already done the investigation as to the type of soil and the area in concern and has designed the foundation to fit those conditions. The city reviews the engineers plans. They go to the builder then to the contractor doing the work. I get the plans (not all that often I do a pre pour inspection. Always get a call the afternoon before) I inspect the hole in the ground and the steel to see if they have followed the engineers plans and away you go.

There may be codes for foundations but the design/engineering/layout is put together by the engineer. Who is anyone to question the engineer about the engineering of the entire site and foundation design for that site. The design is not something they pulled out of there butt. Again the sites have engineering and the plans from the engineer are disigned for that site.

Yes, it is simplistic. The trenches, depth, steel, cables, connections etc. All on the plan.

That would be like saying that you found a bunch of concerns with a foundation. The engineer comes in and does his report and his layout for repairs and you say, ahhhh, nope, I ain't buying it. The engineer is full of crap.

Fact is. You have nothing more to go by other than the engineers plan. It is only your to to make sure the contractors abided by those engineered plans.

not arguing here. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I am guilty, often, of scanning and not reading the posts completely.
    Ted: Five out of ten times I do a pre-placement inspection there is no geotechnical report available. When there is, 100% of the time it is incomplete.

The engineer is required by IRC, IBC and PTI to adhere to certain standards. Additionally, he is required by a whole laundry list of agencies to complete a general notes page replete with instructions as to what standards are to be met. He does not copy and past the text of these standards into the design documents, but merely refers to them by citation number. If the builder, contractor, inspector, whatever has the intent of being in compliance he must be aware of these standards that are to be met. Without that knowledge he is shooting in the dark.

It is very often that an engineer's plans are light in the general notes section, leaving the other parties in the construction process clueless of his intent. This is why we have these things written down. Everything else is presumptive hot air.

In the end, if you treat the applicable standards as you treat my posts by scanning through them, you miss a lot.

Aaron

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted: Five out of ten times I do a pre-placement inspection there is no geotechnical report available. When there is, 100% of the time it is incomplete.

The engineer is required by IRC, IBC and PTI to adhere to certain standards. Additionally, he is required by a whole laundry list of agencies to complete a general notes page replete with instructions as to what standards are to be met. He does not copy and past the text of these standards into the design documents, but merely refers to them by citation number. If the builder, contractor, inspector, whatever has the intent of being in compliance he must be aware of these standards that are to be met. Without that knowledge he is shooting in the dark.

It is very often that an engineer's plans are light in the general notes section, leaving the other parties in the construction process clueless of his intent. This is why we have these things written down. Everything else is presumptive hot air.

In the end, if you treat the applicable standards as you treat my posts by scanning through them, you miss a lot.

Aaron
    Ah, nope.

I did say "and a little knowledge" The knowledge I am talking about is from doing this so long and being able to determine by your initial visual inspection that, yup, that just ain't right. I am sure not you or anyone on hear stands there with all the books open like you are reading a pryer over the grave site unless you see something that is just not right.

Not arguing at all.

It is just a hole in the ground with a bunch of stuff in it after a while. Miss something??? Only if I don't walk over to the hole. Yes I find things on most occasions. Any seriously major items. Not to often. A beam trench a couple inches to shallow or wide. Yup. Protective sheathing on the cables missing, yup. Not enough or near the configuration of rebar at a particular intersecting point, yup. Its not brain surgery,

Jerry misunderstood me once on a post where I mentioned that even walking a half mile it still only takes so many steps for the inspection. He thought it meant the amount of items I inspected. I was talking the physical steps at a half mile an hour. You are still going to be out of there in no time at a half mile an hour.

Trust me Aaron. I am not trying to take anything away from you, Jerry or anyone else but it ain't brain surgery. Sometimes, some folks just get a little to deep.

Just my opinion AND to much time on my hands. I am glad to see some folks out there that are still busy. I for one am not (at all) and I am usually busier than the masses.

Tom Phillips Guest

Would this company be HRES?
    They called me once (many months ago) and I have not heard from them since.

A.D. Miller Guest

The knowledge I am talking about is from doing this so long and being able to determine by your initial visual inspection that, yup, that just ain't right. I am sure not you or anyone on hear stands there with all the books open like you are reading a pryer over the grave site unless you see something that is just not right.
    Ted: I've been doing this since 1975, so don't play the tenure card on me.

Not arguing at all.
    Ted: But it sure sounds like you are.

Its not brain surgery,
    Ted: Never said it was brain surgery, only that one must use their brain.

Jerry misunderstood me once
    Ted: Just once? You're doing better than I am on that count then.

Trust me Aaron. Sometimes, some folks just get a little to deep.
    Ted: Just serious students of the game.

Just my opinion AND to much time on my hands.
    Ted: Me too nowadays.

I am glad to see some folks out there that are still busy.
    Ted: Not in my neighborhood.

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted: I've been doing this since 1975, so don't play the tenure card on me.

Ted: But it sure sounds like you are.

Ted: Never said it was brain surgery, only that one must use their brain.

Ted: Just once? You're doing better than I am on that count then.

Ted: Just serious students of the game.

Ted: Me too nowadays.

Ted: Not in my neighborhood.
    One of these days I am going to use my brain on this site and figure out the multi quote thing.

No offense to anyone at all. Like I said just a little irritated lately with my backside getting sore.

I also have to check my spelling and correct word usage. Gees. I just reread my post.

I just found out that the company run by Ed Harrison will not agree to being responsible for the costs if you have to pursue an overdue payment.

He said the payments usually come from the mortgage company anyway.

He did not comment on the error I pointed out in the pdf document that says it takes 5-15 minutes on site. You had better figure 40 to 60 minutes to do what they want and more if the crawl access is cluttered.

This program is very similar to the one that has been around for several years. That one is Hayman Residential
    Engineering Services, LLC
    I have been with them for several years and I might have one or two jobs a year from them. I simply do not have that many manufactured homes in my area.

Hayman is simple and easy to deal with. If I recall you will be paid in about 2-3 weeks after the inspection.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This program is very similar to the one that has been around for several years. That one is Hayman Residential
    Engineering Services, LLC
    I have been with them for several years and I might have one or two jobs a year from them. I simply do not have that many manufactured homes in my area.
    Scott,

At least they are not embarrassed to put their name out there for you to see it and be able to check on it.

These Ray J. guy and that "survey" has all the trimmings and trappings of 'let me get from you what I can, then you are on your own'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Scott,

At least they are not embarrassed to put their name out there for you to see it and be able to check on it.

These Ray J. guy and that "survey" has all the trimmings and trappings of 'let me get from you what I can, then you are on your own'.
    That is true.

I did not see that anyone had posted their website. This is it Nationwide Foundation Certifications :: HUD & VA Manufactured Homes Inspections and Compliance

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hey Ray J. I sent you all my info last week but no sign of a response from your end... guess you don't have that much going in Colorado eh? Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast