John Stahl Guest

Default Asphalt Composition Shingles

First time poster and it looks like I'm having some difficulties uploading the pictures that I took of this shingle installation, so I will have to explain it as best I can.
    First off, this was not a property that I inspected, just happened to be at a friends home and noticed the way these shingles were installed and shot some photos. Anyway, this roof is asphalt compostion 2nd layer and they were installed in rows, starting at the eves and running to the ridge. Then the next row was lapped 2" and ran in the same direction from the eves to the ridge, and so on. So the rows were ran perpendicular to the eves and ridge, not parallel. Whoever did the work took his time because they were all nice straight rows and he had all the tabs on the shingles inline with the others. Never have seen anything like it before.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Asphalt Composition Shingles

I can't visualize it, I'm guessing we would have to be there or see photos

The uploading photo this is easy if the photos are not too big. There are some past threads explaining the process if you do a search or check the FAQ tab.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

John Stahl Guest

Jim,
    I think it's my computer, it's been acting up lately. Maybe I can help you visualize the roof. If you were standing on the roof at the eves (gable end)with a bundle of shingles in hand and placed one after the other with a 6" reveal and walked backwards along that gable edge towards the ridge placing the shingles as you go, like laying cards out on a table. So, basically the shingles are layed at 90 degrees to a normal installation without stagering the tabs. And once you're done with the first row,back down to the eves to start another row overlaping 2" on the first row. I hope this makes sense, I'll try to get some pics.

I think it's safe to say if they were not installed like this, they are installed wrong.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Dyslexic roofer?

Would love to see a picture of it, can hardly believe some one would lay the shingle that way. But I keep being amazed what people will do.

John Stahl Guest

Yes Chris nothing even similar to your picture. I've been in the construction industry for quite a while now and I've never seen this before. Whoever did the job took his time thinking he was doing a good job I'm sure, because ever tab is lined up perfectly, every groove lined up and the rows are straight
    like you would not beleive. I haven't had time to figure out my picture mishap but once I do I'll post them.

John Stahl Guest

I was thinking that if someone wanted to send me an email through the system and I might be able to send the pics that way. Just a thought I'll
    be heading out soon, so if I don't get back to you tonight I'll send them
    tomorrow after work.

Upload them to a photo sharing site and post the link.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Stahl View Post
    First time poster and it looks like I'm having some difficulties uploading the pictures that I took of this shingle installation, so I will have to explain it as best I can.
    First off, this was not a property that I inspected, just happened to be at a friends home and noticed the way these shingles were installed and shot some photos. Anyway, this roof is asphalt compostion 2nd layer and they were installed in rows, starting at the eves and running to the ridge. Then the next row was lapped 2" and ran in the same direction from the eves to the ridge, and so on. So the rows were ran perpendicular to the eves and ridge, not parallel. Whoever did the work took his time because they were all nice straight rows and he had all the tabs on the shingles inline with the others. Never have seen anything like it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stahl
    Jim,
    I think it's my computer, it's been acting up lately. Maybe I can help you visualize the roof. If you were standing on the roof at the eves (gable end)with a bundle of shingles in hand and placed one after the other with a 6" reveal and walked backwards along that gable edge towards the ridge placing the shingles as you go, like laying cards out on a table. So, basically the shingles are layed at 90 degrees to a normal installation without stagering the tabs. And once you're done with the first row,back down to the eves to start another row overlaping 2" on the first row. I hope this makes sense, I'll try to get some pics.
    Unclear on your "word picture", but it seems you are describing a 3-tab re-roof where the shingles rows were not staggered (and from what I gather - was installed as one would install barrel tiles (clay) on a roof). Of course 3-tab shingles need to be staggered, failure to do so is not only unsightly, but leads to water getting to the roof deck, exposes nail heads, and leads to quick errosion (nothing to brake speed and direction of shed water, granual loss, etc.) shingles are to be lapped from above, never on the vertical edge. As far as the rows, 2" lap would not be correct for 3-tab shingles (over-exposed). Perhaps you meant the shingles are under-exposed (such as using wrong size or trimming off exposed edge). Under-exposed shingles (esp. without trimming) would result in a significant increase in the weight of the installation (in lbs. per sq. dead-load).

Unstaggered installations are always wrong. It is not necessary to install the entire "row" before beginning the next "row", but the tabs and seams must be staggered. Orientation of shingles is critical.

You didn't indicate anything regarding slope, or a complicated roof (wings, ells, etc.), so I'm "picturing" a "simple roof".

Perhps sketching a simple diagram in "paint" or similar program?

You will need to re-size and re-format your photos to meet the limitations of the site to be able to load them, try using the "attach files" feature if "inserting" isn't working for you. You cannot "insert" photos direct from your HD, you can only "insert" photos hosted on the WWW somewhere. Easiest might be to "print to file" in .pdf format and upload/attach that saved file to a post in edit mode - as the .pdf file format is the most generous in file "size" restrictions (file size in megabytes as opposed to kBytes) and does not impose a 680x image size limitation). Many digital camera image file formats are not compatible, just the basics - jpeg, bitmap (bmp), gif, .pdf are allowed. Reformat/re-size/save new file ("save as") in your editing software to create new files and upload/attach files, instead of using the "insert" icon of the compose box. You can find at feature by scrolling down on the page while in the edit/composition mode in "the box" below the "submit reply" 'buttons', in a boxed area entitled "additional options" -- the "attach photos" option is in the middle.

A little unclear on your descriptions regarding additional overlap on what should be the vertical edge of a seam. Only cap shingles on the ridge, or a woven valley, etc. ("complications" excepting a simple roof) should be lapped on other than the horizontal row overlap. Generally these lapped areas in other than the horizontal edge require additional adhesive and flashing/drainage plane(s) (or in the case of the ridge vent, the vent cap itself provides most of same).

Perhaps I'm completely "off" in visualizing your "word pictures"...

HTH.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Sounds like a workman like installation; just 90o off. Assuming I've got the right idea, wind could blow water across the tab edges and onto unprotected roof. I wonder how they would work 180o off ? Or maybe granules down ?