Default bogus tilt locks

Something is missing here, right? I've never seen tilt locks like this and they were very difficult to operate. All the "new" windows in this condo look like this. They're just screws!?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

C.Johnson Guest

Default Re: bogus tilt locks

I have worked on and replaced many windows and have never seen that myself...ODD indeed!
    IMO it seems like there should be some sort of plate being held in place by those screws to assit in unlatching the window to tilt.
    Did you notice who made the window?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Johnson View Post
    Did you notice who made the window?
    Thanks. I did not see the manufacturer.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

I used to clean windows for a living. Those screws usually have an allen wrench slot. You have to unscrew both sides part way, then you slide the screw to the center where the key slot is, and the window will tilt in. I've seen them in commercial buildings where they dont want the users to be able to tilt the window in easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Jarvis View Post
    I used to clean windows for a living. Those screws usually have an allen wrench slot. You have to unscrew both sides part way, then you slide the screw to the center where the key slot is, and the window will tilt in. I've seen them in commercial buildings where they dont want the users to be able to tilt the window in easily.
    Scott - Thanks!
    Interesting. They did have slots for allen wrench.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Usually the type mentioned above have dust caps on each corner of the operating sash.

I do not believe that screw was meant to be turned by the occupant, but is a part of a cam lock system.

I suspect single hung windows.

If the lower hung sashes are indeed meant to be tilted in regularly by the occupant for interior cleaning of the exterior of the lower sash (not uilizing professional window washers from the exterior), I believe you will find a clip higher up in the chanel, which must be drawn down on each side to the top of the sash which said clip then pushes in the unlocked cam and allows the sash to be tilted in and pivoted on the lower sash side pivots.

There may also be a slide or push button(s) on the outside top of the operable sash which you can feel and operate only when the lower sash is raised above the bottom of the upper sash.

Does the sash lock have a push button or a sliding operator? Does it lock the sash in any position, or a multiple positions? (as opposed to a pop-out vent lock above on the face of the upper sash?

The plastic sash/tilt locks surface mounted retention clips found in homes rarely meet the standards for wind resistance, impact retention, etc. for higher structures.

Note these windows are over a drop below apparently entrance to underground parking or some such, so appears to be a significant distance above finished "grade" below.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-03-2010 at 11:43 AM.

The ones I ran across were not a cam lock. The screw head was backed out enough so it would clear the top of the window sash, and it would slide toward the center for tipping in. The spring hardware and the latches that engaged the window frame were stronger than what you would typically see in a residential application, but were similar in design. The windows would weigh a ton, and if the spring hardware was damaged, they would come down when opened like a ton of bricks. The top sash was always a fixed panel on the ones i saw.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Something is missing here, right? I've never seen tilt locks like this and they were very difficult to operate. All the "new" windows in this condo look like this. They're just screws!?
    Installed a lot of windows, seen even more. Here is plausible explanation.

The installer/contractor/condo owner was told by the condo management that the window tilt function had to be altered so that a child could not operate the tilt function, liability issue. The key as you stated, "they were very difficult to operate", is difficulty.

Condo Assoc may have had problem with an injury in the past. Or, lawyer for condo wanted to reduce the liability.

Many people do not realize the weight of the sash. Also, most do not operate the tilt function correctly. Have no idea how many windows that I have repaired due to the owner not knowing how to open the window correctly.

Personally I would have made it more visually pealing, at least could have painted screws white. Contractor may have had to come back and correct job for condo assoc by removing the tilt lever release bar and the contractor thought that the screw was a good idea/compromise. They could have just removed the vinyl tabs and left the slot open. The window could have been tilted by use of screw driver or similar spade object to retract lever assembly, but that may have opted out with the screw installation making it a little less difficult while still making its operation difficult for a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    ...The installer/contractor/condo owner was told by the condo management that the window tilt function had to be altered so that a child could not operate the tilt function, liability issue....
    Thanks Garry. You may be correct, although if a kid could operate the tilt function, the little bugger could even more easily just open the window and take a dive that way, right?

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Thanks Garry. You may be correct, although if a kid could operate the tilt function, the little bugger could even more easily just open the window and take a dive that way, right?

Its more about the window coming back on someone. (screws)

John -
    You are right about the "take a dive".
    New there was something I was missing in the picture.

I was only focusing on the screws and not the entire picture.

Looking back on the picture of the window it is interesting that there were no vent locks on the upper sash. The condo assoc should have required vent locks so that a child could not raise the sash. (vent locks located in the vertical sash rail of the upper sash which restrict movement of both sash to about 3 inches.)

I've seen those screw types before a couple of times here in the US on commercial office buildings. My understanding from the Arch was that they didn't want office workers opening windows and throwing off the balance of the designed mechanical ventilation systems. Sounds reasonable enough. Haven't seen them in residential.
    The first time I saw windows with screws like that though was in the mid 80's in Zagreb, Yugoslavia. I stayed in the only mid rise hotel in the town overnight on my way to Istanbul. Got into my room, the air was horribly musty and funky; went to open a window and encountered screwed windows; of course I had my multi-tool with me and unscrewed the windows for fresh air; within a few minutes people were banging on my door screaming to open up; turned out it was the hotel manager and 3 soldiers with rifles; they thought I was a possible sniper. Turns out all the windows were screwed shut for a reason. Since the hotel was the highest building around it had a history of being used by snipers to pick people off. Luckily I didn't have a sniper rifle in my luggage and they left me alone. Had to screw the windows shut though while they watched. My little multi tool both amazed and horrified them. I think they were swearing something along the lines of stupid american kids.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Its more about the window coming back on someone. (screws)...
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I've seen those screw types before a couple of times here in the US on commercial office buildings. My understanding from the Arch was that they didn't want office workers opening windows and throwing off the balance of the designed mechanical ventilation systems. Sounds reasonable enough. Haven't seen them in residential.
    The first time I saw windows with screws like that though was in the mid 80's in Zagreb, Yugoslavia. I stayed in the only mid rise hotel in the town overnight on my way to Istanbul. Got into my room, the air was horribly musty and funky; went to open a window and encountered screwed windows; of course I had my multi-tool with me and unscrewed the windows for fresh air; within a few minutes people were banging on my door screaming to open up; turned out it was the hotel manager and 3 soldiers with rifles; they thought I was a possible sniper. Turns out all the windows were screwed shut for a reason. Since the hotel was the highest building around it had a history of being used by snipers to pick people off. Luckily I didn't have a sniper rifle in my luggage and they left me alone. Had to screw the windows shut though while they watched. My little multi tool both amazed and horrified them. I think they were swearing something along the lines of stupid american kids.

Sorry Mark you missed something. Take another look at the pict of OP. Screws not in jam or side tracks. Screws in tilt lock release. Window will open unless you are in Yugoslavia, the line workers from the Yugo plant had to find other work and must have gone into the window business.