Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Post Holiday Volume

I know we're only 1.5 weeks into the new year but things have really tailed off with the phone quiet and very little in terms of e-mail price quote requests. My December was actually decent as far as Decembers go but 2012 has really sputtered out of the gate. The weather has been good too and interest rates are very low. I'm probably jumping the gun but I just get antsy sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

How are you guys fairing in other parts of the country?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Post Holiday Volume

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post

How are you guys fairing in other parts of the country?
    I'm slow, I checked Jan 2010 and 2011 and it's about the same.
    Dec was so so, Nov was my 2nd best month last year.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Same here.
    Always slow early January so try not to freak out and work on other things while you have the time.

Makes you want to do draw jobs that you regret doing later once busy.

Slow here as well. We've got some snow on the mountains to do some skiing, but that's starting to thin out also.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Same slow here but never picks up till after mid month. Good time to do some boat maintenance.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Thanks Nick!!! It Worked. You gave me a chance to complain and I got 3 calls in the last hour.

They all want them tomorrow, Rest today, tomorrow 8-12 and 4 Pm

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Thanks Nick!!! It Worked. You gave me a chance to complain and I got 3 calls in the last hour.

They all want them tomorrow, Rest today, tomorrow 8-12 and 4 Pm
    Glad I could help Dan. It's funny but doing some complaining out being slow always seems to jump start things. That and taking a nap, going to the bathroom, and stuffing my mouth full of food.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

They always book in streaks
    Must be seo bounce.

Good fall overall.... especially Nov/Dec compared to most years. I even took a job on New Year's Eve and finished up the dark at about 5PM. Plus, I went into the first week of the new year with a few jobs scheduled..... and that's the way the first week ended - with a few jobs. Basically, the phones broke for a week.

Things did finally pick up on the phones at the end of last week and this week it good.... I managed to pull off 3 today which is rare with the lack of daylight this time of year. I'm somewhat optimistic about the year ahead but my company as a whole is still moving along at about 1/2 the volume we were doing back in the "boom". Not that I expect to get back to that but more than 1/2 would be nice.

Yep. Worked for me too. Set up two yesterday and have one pending after a phone contact today. It's eeeeeery the way it works.

If you want the inspections to start coming in, plan a vacation.

Rick

Four inspections last week. This week.......zilch.......and I think my phone only rang once. Makes for a loooong boring week.

dave koloskee Guest

Slower this Jan vs past years. Not sure exactly why. The weather has been unusually warm and one would think more conducive to home shoppers. Running a coupon to stir things up often works this time of year. As others have said, Jan is a good month to address other to-do's and collect thoughts.

inspections down--income up--bigger homes

but jan usually slow--so i go on weekend golf trips--florida--phoenix--good for my golf game

come on feb

cvf

I looked up past January's and made myself sick looking at 2007 and 2008. 2012 is way better than last year, but still not what it could be. The last week or so I have been very busy (8 - 9 per week). I'm taking Friday off to spend time with my wife (her birthday), otherwise this would have been a full week.

I am counting my blessings, because I know it could stop in a heartbeat.

Seems much slower, but I'm only 4 inspections behind last January with 5 work days left to go. But, only $675 behind last year.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

David Torres Guest

Nick,

I haven't posted much but your topic called me out. I live in Western MI and everybody with a flashlight, ladder and a screw driver is in our bizz. I was living on 2-3 inspections a week and still am trying to get pay back for blower door system. I get an occasional call for just the thermal imaging.

Now to the reason for my post, 3 days before Chirstmas I got a call from the president of a bank here in MI. He got my name from the 203k consultant list. I was presented with the task of inspecting and providing job cost work write ups. After the first one they hired me to GC the repairs.

I thought about the conflict of interest and decided not much there. Well For now I have dropped the low price inspections and have seen 3 times more traffic for inspections along with the 75% addition in income form the foreclosures.

In my middle aged years while struggling in this business and having a wife that has stuck by me, I have come to realize that there is something to be said for praying alot. I will always be a home inspector first but this other gig sure doesn't hurt

David Torres
    Nachi 10110406

david good for you. but what are low priced inspections from your post

cvf

I started skim coating my bathroom ceiling yesterday, so of course I booked 5 inspections yesterday. Two today, one Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

So that brings my inspection number equal to last January but income this year will be about $700 more.

David Torres Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    david good for you. but what are low priced inspections from your post

cvf
    165.00 1000sf and under

david

is that for a condo no roof or exterior inspection--seems low as per prices here in colorado, and we are not in new york or california-where i'm sure it is higher. i raise my prices every first of the year, just wondering what your charge is for a 1996 year old 2500 sq footer.

cvf

In my area, a 1996 2500 sq footer usually has a basement that's not included in the 2500 so you're really looking at 3500+ sq ft. Add the garage, deck...bla bla bla...

I'm not leaving the office for under $395 on these. Add radon and termite cert and you're pushing $550 or more.

BTW, Jan '12 has been a very good month for me.

David Torres Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    david

is that for a condo no roof or exterior inspection--seems low as per prices here in colorado, and we are not in new york or california-where i'm sure it is higher. i raise my prices every first of the year, just wondering what your charge is for a 1996 year old 2500 sq footer.

cvf
    That is any home 1000sf and under. There is a 15 mile radius from my home. I always walk any roof i feel comfortable walking on and have for 12 years now. 2001-3000 $365.00

Also does anyone know if stone in drain feild can be re-used?

February is picking up. Nine inspections already booked.

GARYKAUFMAN Guest

Nick,
    I am located in Cabo San Lucas, Baja Mexico and January was also very slow for some reason. Living in a tourist area this is the high season with most sales taking place over Christmas & New Years. The pattern seems to be slow for a week and then the phone gets busy with inspections lined up for the rest of the month and then it tappers off again. And who ever mentioned if you want business to pick up just plan a vacation is right, every time I take off I miss several inspections while I'm gone.
    Gary

Things are picking up on all fronts. More call volume and booked inspections.

Patrick McCaffery Guest

January was slow, but February is picking up.

14 inspections performed or booked for February already.

Quote Originally Posted by GARYKAUFMAN View Post
    Nick,
    I am located in Cabo San Lucas, Baja Mexico and January was also very slow for some reason. Living in a tourist area this is the high season with most sales taking place over Christmas & New Years. The pattern seems to be slow for a week and then the phone gets busy with inspections lined up for the rest of the month and then it tappers off again. And who ever mentioned if you want business to pick up just plan a vacation is right, every time I take off I miss several inspections while I'm gone.
    Gary
    Vacation? You're in Cabo for god's sake....... where do you go for vacation, the equator?

How's the market holding up with the constant string of bad news we always hear about Mexico? As in, the drug cartels taking over? I'd have to think this has it's toll on tourism and overall desireability of the area. Or, are we getting the straight story on the news here up north?

I vacationed in Cabo 3 times over a couple year period about 4-6 years ago and have to say I'm a bit skeptical to go back because of all the bad news.... realistically, it hasn't actually been a problem since my vacation budget these days isn't what it was a few years ago.

Frank Adame Guest

Even though we are not out of the doldrums, I had to cancell an inspection for this morning. The buyer demanded to know why I couldn't tell him if there was termite damage behind the walls or mold inside the ductwork. He also wanted to know why I couldn't predict soil movement under the slab or perform a refrigerant level test. I predicted a lawsuit in this one. That would not be good start for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    Even though we are not out of the doldrums, I had to cancell an inspection for this morning. The buyer demanded to know why I couldn't tell him if there was termite damage behind the walls or mold inside the ductwork. He also wanted to know why I couldn't predict soil movement under the slab or perform a refrigerant level test. I predicted a lawsuit in this one. That would not be good start for this year.
    Sometimes,
    your best inspection is one not performed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    Sometimes,
    your best inspection is one not performed.....
    +1 on that. I've had a few clients over the years where the money I got paid wasn't worth the headaches that came with the job.

Ted Menelly Guest

Inspection last Thursday

Realtor that never referred me before calls and sets up an appointment (says he did noit have the buyers number with him)

That is part of the bad part. I never set an appointment unless I talk to the client first.

The buyers shows up at that appointment all happy to hear about her potential new home. I started going over things with her and was a short way into it and the late Realtor and his boyfriend contractor shows up and asks if I am ready to go over the report. I said I already started due to the late hour and him and bo were late. He looks me straight in the eye and tells me that I have to start over from the beginning. Not the thing to say to an inspector.

I bit my tongue if you can believe that and pointed out wha the findings were I just went over. Them, the realtor and his boyfriend contractor, try try to dismiss everything I said.

Every time I tried to direct my comments to the buyer he treated her as an idiot and interjected on everything like this third time home buyer was dumb as rocks, completely insulting.

I tried everything I could to explain directly to the buyer and was not only losing ground fast but someone was about to take the wrath full on.

The seller shows up and suddenly I did not exist and the buyer did not exist and the realtor starts endlessly chatting with the seller.

The biuyer goes to the living room and is literally waiting for the realtor to finish the long winded talk the realtor is having with the seller.

I walk into the living room and walk directly toward her and started to ask her if she was comfortable with the findings and if she needed further explanation on anything and her thoughts of the home. The boyfriend to the realtor (contractor. I will mention more on that shortly) chimes in before I was even finished and steps between us and starts talking of all the winderful features and great potential.......I step forward and tell him under no uncertain terms, that could not be ignored, that I was not talking to him and could he go away and allow me to talk with my client.

Now I had some calming to my client to do being pulled in every direction from these two clowns. I get her so she is feeling comfortable again and explain a few things to her about how this whole process was suppose to take place and what her options are. As I am explaining the Realtor comes back with his boyfriend (contractor that is giving price quotes as intending to do the work for her) and buds in and says "Now, what have I missed? Oh yes, where were we? and wants top literally go over where I left off before he went on with his half hour rant with the sellers.

I put my hand out to the buyer which just paid me and told her I would talk to her when I got home and to have a nice day and we can go over things further about what I was discussing with her. The Realtor is trying to interrupt and ask this and that and I totally ignored him and went on my way..

Anyway I had a long talk with the buyer on the phone and explained what these clowns were up to only to find out that they did the same thing before at the last home she bought and the Realtor and boyfriend quoted her pricing for a kitchen remodel and did the work after the sale.

Yeah yeah

Thoughts, comments. I know what I already did. And you would have?

Back to the thread. It was pretty dicey half way thru Dec and all thru January for sure. Things have not picked up that great yet but I must say I literally refused a lot of work due to such wildly low prices coming back from the clients as what they were already quoted. I did not even do my normal follow up on most of them because I will not do home inspection and termite inspections (I have someone else do the termite) for 250 and under on 3000 sq ft homes or 4000 sq ft homes for 300 with a termite.

I did some commercial remodeling instead.

Frank Adame Guest

I got 2-3 inspections a week for 6 months from a realtor last year. He works exclusively with investors who finance their own sales to buyers who do not qualify for a home loan from conventional lenders. These contractors always did a fabulous interior cosmetic job but never addressed the bigger issues. Without fail I found an average of $15,000 worth of repairs to be made on each house. I dutifully documented every deficiency for the buyer. The realtor said that the contractor would not repair or credit anything. Yet he and the contractor consistently sold almost every home.

I didn't get it. I also didn't get it that the realtor never once questioned me, down-played anything or tried to get me arrested for being honest and thorough. Then I found out from his buyers that he had been minimizing and in most cases not even discussing my reports with them behind closed doors. He promised them a perfect home and I felt I was a party (by association) to leading these clueless sheep to slaughter regardless of how well I performed.

Even though we are hit with hard times, I couldn't bear the Jim Jones tactics they were using and the cool-aid they were pouring so I told the realtor I would not accept anymore referrals from him. It still makes me sick to know he is still in business.

GARYKAUFMAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    I got 2-3 inspections a week for 6 months from a realtor last year. He works exclusively with investors who finance their own sales to buyers who do not qualify for a home loan from conventional lenders. These contractors always did a fabulous interior cosmetic job but never addressed the bigger issues. Without fail I found an average of $15,000 worth of repairs to be made on each house. I dutifully documented every deficiency for the buyer. The realtor said that the contractor would not repair or credit anything. Yet he and the contractor consistently sold almost every home.

I didn't get it. I also didn't get it that the realtor never once questioned me, down-played anything or tried to get me arrested for being honest and thorough. Then I found out from his buyers that he had been minimizing and in most cases not even discussing my reports with them behind closed doors. He promised them a perfect home and I felt I was a party (by association) to leading these clueless sheep to slaughter regardless of how well I performed.

Even though we are hit with hard times, I couldn't bear the Jim Jones tactics they were using and the cool-aid they were pouring so I told the realtor I would not accept anymore referrals from him. It still makes me sick to know he is still in business.
    It is a tricky place where home inspectors are; we work for our clients - the buyers and want to do a thorough inspection report but it is the real estate agents who actually give us the work. I am located in a resort area in Mexico where the real estate agents were not used to having home inspections. For the last year I have hit the streets meeting with every broker & their agents and slowly I have been able to penetrate into the real estate community. There are times when I inspect an older home or even with new homes that have many problems and the client was happy that I discovered them but you could tell the real estate agent was not and I felt I would never get another call from them. AS I mentioned earlier our clients are the buyers, but the real estate agents are the ones who refer us to new clients. All you can do is be honest and report on what you find. At least now in this market the sellers are more flexible to the repairs that come up in my reports and are willing to cover the cost one way or another either by paying for the repairs themselves or deducting the costs from the asking price.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GARYKAUFMAN View Post
    It is a tricky place where home inspectors are; we work for our clients - the buyers and want to do a thorough inspection report 1. but it is the real estate agents who actually give us the work. I am located in a resort area in Mexico where the real estate agents were not used to having home inspections. For the last year I have hit the streets meeting with every broker & their agents and 2. slowly I have been able to penetrate into the real estate community. There are times when I inspect an older home or even with new homes that have many problems and the client was happy that I discovered them but you could tell the real estate agent was not and I felt I would never get another call from them. AS I mentioned earlier our clients are the buyers, 3. but the real estate agents are the ones who refer us to new clients. All you can do is be honest and report on what you find. At least now in this market the sellers are more flexible to the repairs that come up in my reports and are willing to cover the cost one way or another either by paying for the repairs themselves or deducting the costs from the asking price.
    1. Sad state of affairs that the Realtors are in charge of the purse strings. That has to change.

2. Sad state of affairs that inspectors have to suck up to them on a daily basus. That has to change.

3. Sad state of affairs that the folks counting on a sale get to pick and chose the inspectors that they like the looks and sound of and if that turns out not in their favor they drop that inspector faster than they found them and move on to the next one.

Some Inspectors appear to be blessed by the Gods. They never have a story about Realtors and all "their" realtors are baby kittens and sun shine, sugar and spice and all things nice.

As far as the part about just doing a good job and be honest? Well that is great but it does not delete the Realtors you dump or the ones that dump you. You for not putting up with them. Them for you going about what you should be going about doing. They just move on to the next inspector.

I inspected the first time for a friend when I was 20 and an now approaching 58. Year after year after year after decade things keep going further and further in the wrong direction. Maybe by the time I drop things will turn back into the right direction and the purse strings are taken away from the realtors for good.

The Realtors control the purse strings That even has a dirty sound to it. I gotta go wash my hands.

My area has had a early spring run with inspections. January was ok, but this month is going to be possibly a record for a Feb.

Wishing you all a great busy season.

Rick Hurst

I don't know what to make of the market yet. I'm getting work in spurts (a few days on, a few days off). It's coming around though.

I would have explained to the client what they were doing while they were standing with me and the client, and also let them both know that the BBB abd the office manager would be hearing about it.
    Along with ALL their comments that I recorded.
    OH you didn't know that I record all of every inspection.
    I told you all at the beginning, OH thats right,
    You were late

I'm with Rick.... busy, busy, busy. It's nice for a change to not have to knock down my wife and kids to reach my phone when it rings. I still try to catch every call.... I just don't miss a meal when I miss a call like a couple years ago.

Here's hoping the worst is behind us... we're far from a "healthy" housing market in my area but at least the phone rings.

Frank Adame Guest

I actually had to start using a recorder with some type of inspections and buyers. But I wasn't taping realtors or contractors, instead it was the buyers. Three buyers last year got me into trouble with their realtors because they went and reported that I said the property was over-priced or that it was not worth buying. I never said anything of the kind. Or two other times where they reported that I said the foundation would need repair. I always leave that final say so to an engineer or a foundation company. Needless to say, the realtors came at me like a pack of rabid coyotes on peyote. One realtor threatened to file a claim against me with TREC.

All the realtors believed the buyers and not me. Why couldn't they see that the buyers were using me as an excuse to cancel the contract or to negotiate the price down.

With these types of problems, I'm glad my busines is still off to a much better start than the same time last year.

A little lull last week but I'm ending February with 30 inspections this month (I'm taking Wednesday off). Not a record but probably the best February in the past 4 or 5 years.