James Norman Guest

Default building rain water discharge.

Is there a code somewhere that addresses rain water runoff? I have a building that is shedding its rain water through a gutter system to the roof of the connected building and causing leaks. the owner of building "A" is saying its not his responsibilty to divert his gutters. These are buildings that was built in the 30's. Does anything address this?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: building rain water discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by James Norman View Post
    Is there a code somewhere that addresses rain water runoff? I have a building that is shedding its rain water through a gutter system to the roof of the connected building and causing leaks. the owner of building "A" is saying its not his responsibilty to divert his gutters. These are buildings that was built in the 30's. Does anything address this?
    So Your Building is Draining onto his building and you think the runoff is backing up and leaking into your building?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    So Your Building is Draining onto his building and you think the runoff is backing up and leaking into your building?
    No, he's an inspector of one of the buildings. Building A is dumping on building B.
    Seems cut and dry to me.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

"Does anything address this?"

Yeppers.

It's called: Small Claims Court.

Owner of Building B to Owner of Building A: Your roof runoff is causing a leak into my house, you need to correct your roof runoff system.

Owner of Building A to Owner of Building B: Ain't gonna do it.

(One Week Later)
    Owner of Building B to Owner of Building A: That big fat envelope you received in the mail today - from my attorney, huh?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    No, he's an inspector of one of the buildings. Building A is dumping on building B.
    Seems cut and dry to me.
    Ya Think ?
    *another olde but goodie Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five--Is You Is Or Is You Ain't - YouTube Good Night Ladies & Gents.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I agree with Jerry.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Chapter 11 of the IPC (2006 or 2009). (if IRC for example Ch. 33 of the 09), IPM, zoning codes, nuisance and tresspass ordinances.

Flood Control areas futher.