Mike Anderson Guest

Default Jetted Tub NOT Supported Properly In Master Bath

I recently purchased a seven year old home and noticed that the Jetted Tub in the master bathroom appears to not be properly supported and that it may only be suspended by the tub rim. I do not know the tub manufacturer to get the tub installation instructions. Also, the tub is not fixed to anything as I can slide the tub in a circular motion in place by about 2" to 3" on any side.

Can anyone tell me what I should do to properly fix the situation?

I've attached pictures for easy visualization.

You can see the four easy access doors from the one picture.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Jetted Tub NOT Supported Properly In Master Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I recently purchased a seven year old home and noticed that the Jetted Tub in the master bathroom appears to not be properly supported and that it may only be suspended by the tub rim. I do not know the tub manufacturer to get the tub installation instructions. Also, the tub is not fixed to anything as I can slide the tub in a circular motion in place by about 2" to 3" on any side.

Steps 8&9 on this link is how I've installed them. How to Install a Drop-in Bathtub | eHow.com

Then the rim should be caulked to the deck.

The plumbing line that looks like it's under the tub should be on the side of the tub.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I used to set the tub in place with nothing under it, caulk the rim to tub support surface and let that dry to keep the tub from moving. At this point it was essentially permanently in place.

Then, mix up a batch of sand mortar mix (very inexpensive and available at any big box or hardware store by the sack) to the consistency of nearly dry, damp sand that would hold a ball when crushed in the hand. Then through the access area of the tub support frame, start filling in under the tub beginning as far to the back as possible. When the pile gets up near the tub bottom at the back, a 2 x 4 on end is used to tamp and pack it as more mix was added and built up to a good, tight fit to the bottom of the tub. Insert and pack until the entire area under the floor of the tub is well supported. Let the mix dry maybe a couple of days before loading the tub and you will have a very solid base for the tub bottom to rest on as water and occupant(s) are added. It will not move or shrink over time and will carry the loads instead of the tub rim trying to do that and causing damage to the tub.

I have seen installers use expanding foam out of the can sprayed under there but that stuff will compress and loose support as it's loaded. Getting it back out can be a real chore too.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Mike Inspector Guest

As always refer to the manufacturers installation guidelines and specifications. Most require a mortar bed under them

Mike Anderson Guest

The problem with a mortar bed is the bottem of the tub is sitting about 12" to 16" from the sub floor. That's a lot of concrete.

The problem with a mortar bed is the bottem of the tub is sitting about 12" to 16" from the sub floor. That's a lot of concrete.
    ??
    The bottom of most of these tubs is only a few inches off of the floor. The installation instructions explain where to place the mortar, which is typically under the flat, bottom portion, and you don't fill the up the entire tub surround with it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Mike Anderson Guest

I'll have to have a plumber reroute the water line from underneath the tub to around the side. I'm guessing that was an oversight on someones part, perhaps the builder considering the tub is not supported nor fixed in place.

So, I guess I'll build a temporary rectangular base underneath the tub using 2x4's. Then with some Quikrete, (mixed on the dry side) I'll layer it in the temporary base until it reaches underneath the tub. Once set, (48 hours) remove my 2x4's.

Do I need to put down any plastic on the OSB sub floor prior to spreading the Quikrete on top?

IDo I need to put down any plastic on the OSB sub floor prior to spreading the Quikrete on top?

Around here, they use scrap roofing felt or rosin paper.