Thread: Guess What I Am

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Guess What I Am

I want to see who can guess what these pics indicate before I post up the rest of the pictures.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Guess What I Am

underground bunker

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    underground bunker
    You got it Rick. Bomb shelter. Here are the rest of pics. The entrance was built in to the rear wall in the basement. It was like stepping back in time walking into it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

My grandfather was a GC in upstate NY and he built a few bomb shelters during the cold war era. Always eerie looking, that one would make a great mother in law suite!

James McKinley, Certified CREIA Inspector
    Professional Property Inspections
    www.proinspectsocal.com

Quote Originally Posted by James McKinley View Post
    My grandfather was a GC in upstate NY and he built a few bomb shelters during the cold war era. Always eerie looking, that one would make a great mother in law suite!
    I almost said 1950's mother in-law suite.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The beginning of a real Man Cave .

When I was growing up, I had a friend whose family put in a bomb shelter. It wasn't attached to the house; access was via a hatch in the back yard. We used to play down there all the time. It looked a lot like this one: a cylindrical unit with two sets of bunk beds that folded down from the side walls. It also had a stationary bicycle that operated the ventilation pump. I don't remember there being a toilet, but there must have been one in there somewhere.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    I don't remember there being a toilet, but there must have been one in there somewhere.
    Are ya Sure ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    When I was growing up, I had a friend whose family put in a bomb shelter. It wasn't attached to the house; access was via a hatch in the back yard. We used to play down there all the time. It looked a lot like this one: a cylindrical unit with two sets of bunk beds that folded down from the side walls. It also had a stationary bicycle that operated the ventilation pump. I don't remember there being a toilet, but there must have been one in there somewhere.
    They must have gotten that idea from Gilligans Island where Gilligan pedaled the bike to recharge the coconuts.

Nick, On a serious note, do you think it would be worth mentioning that structural integrity (due to corrosion) could be an issue?

"the relentless pursuit of perfection"

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Peake View Post
    Nick, On a serious note, do you think it would be worth mentioning that structural integrity (due to corrosion) could be an issue?
    If there was a significant amount of visible corrosion and rust, yes. But I didn't see much aside from some general surface rust.

The buyer has already bailed on the purchase. The house had too many other issues.

I did an inspection on a house that the guy had a bunker in his master bedroom floor.

Problem was he had an electrical fire and he died 10 feet from his bed from smoke inhalation then all his ammo blew and moved the wall a 1-1/2 into the front room.

Moral of the story, bunkers only work if you get there in time

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

That bunker looks rather depressing. I'd probably rather just step outside and watch for the flash in the horizon...

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    underground bunker
    Rick, to beat me to it. I have only seen two here in central NJ. One was a fallout shelter built in the basement of a home we were looking to purchase. Looked just like in the movies with an enterance that you had to turn around to get in (blocked radiation). Built out of concrete blocks and even had sandbags on the "roof." Took up the whole basement. We passed on that one. The other was down the street from where we lived. Seemed that the person who lived there was a big moho in the Stock Exchange in NY. His company put this thing in his back yard. About the size of two double-seaters! Wouldn't want to be in that one for any time!

I see those all the time here in Texas but they are called Tornado shelters or storm shelters and are usually made of concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    If there was a significant amount of visible corrosion and rust, yes. But I didn't see much aside from some general surface rust.

The buyer has already bailed on the purchase. The house had too many other issues.
    I was going to say; from the first picture that the shelter may have fewer moisture problems than the house. I got claustrophobic looking at the pictures. Crawling a crawl is one thing, but being in an environment like that with a possibility of debris (after an "event") blocking my egress is too much to think about.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    That bunker looks rather depressing. I'd probably rather just step outside and watch for the flash in the horizon...

rick
    Or how about adding wings and a rocket engine? Might be able to ride the shock wave.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Unhappy Re: Guess What I Am

In 25 years of inspecting in Indiana I have seen only one. It was a dark and dreary place.