Dave Rose Guest

Default Brand new guy - need tool advice

Ok, I haven't even started training yet...just got a job offer this weekend....and would like to research tools. I'm an engineer by education, so please give me the "why" for something and not just tell me what to buy.

Also feel free to suggest stores to buy from or if anyone has a used item in good shape, speak up.

Also I apologize in advance, but I'm leaving this Tuesday for a 2 week business trip related to my old job in Australia...so you won't see anything from me until the end of July. Thanks in advance for your help.

Moisture meter - I've read some of the threads on this, but I have basic questions.
    1) Is the only advantage to non-pin meters that you don't have to penetrate the wall? What is the max moisture content I need it to read...some of them only to go 30% while others go to 100%.

Is this Tramex one that would work? Best Prices on Tramex Encounter Plus Moisture Meter (Non Destructive)

2) What type of heat monitors are commonly used and what are some of the key features I need?

3) The guy who hired me suggested the below little giant ladder...any thoughts on whether this is the right model or where the best prices are?

o http://www.ladderdepot.com/aluminum_type_1_altaone.html

4) What type of flashlight do you use? He suggested a Streamlight...said they were about $100 but they are very good.

5) Any other tips for me as I get started?

Thanks, and see you at end of July.

Dave (Indiana)

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Brand new guy - need tool advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rose View Post
    Ok, I haven't even started training yet...just got a job offer this weekend....and would like to research tools. I'm an engineer by education, so please give me the "why" for something and not just tell me what to buy.

Also feel free to suggest stores to buy from or if anyone has a used item in good shape, speak up.

Also I apologize in advance, but I'm leaving this Tuesday for a 2 week business trip related to my old job in Australia...so you won't see anything from me until the end of July. Thanks in advance for your help.

Moisture meter - I've read some of the threads on this, but I have basic questions.
    1) Is the only advantage to non-pin meters that you don't have to penetrate the wall? What is the max moisture content I need it to read...some of them only to go 30% while others go to 100%.

Is this Tramex one that would work? Best Prices on Tramex Encounter Plus Moisture Meter (Non Destructive)

2) What type of heat monitors are commonly used and what are some of the key features I need?

3) The guy who hired me suggested the below little giant ladder...any thoughts on whether this is the right model or where the best prices are?

o http://www.ladderdepot.com/aluminum_type_1_altaone.html

4) What type of flashlight do you use? He suggested a Streamlight...said they were about $100 but they are very good.

5) Any other tips for me as I get started?
    Hi Dave,

I use the rechargable Streamlight LED Stinger. Bright and the LED is supposed to last years.

Moisture meters. I like the dual type meter. The pinless does not leave a mark and you still have the option of using the pins, if necessary. Maximum? I can't say. If it's wet, it needs to be reported. I would not remark on the percentage in a report unless you are certain about the calibration of the meter.

Little Giants are useful, but rather heavy. I used an aluminum extension and a 6' fiberglass step ladder for years. Just recently switched to the Little Giant. I am fine either way, but I had to put the extension on the roof rack where the LG can go in my vehicle.

Code Check Complete.

Have a nice time down under.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Depending on your body weight, you might want to look at the Little Giant XE. It has a 300lb rating and only weighs 1.5 lbs more. Either way you will need to get the leg leveler for the LG. Worth the $30.

Lots of topics already about what are the minimum tools, which ones to buy and how soon to get them.

Used a rechargable Streamlight for 5 years. Very bright but heavy. I switched over to a high outout LED light about a year ago. Less weight to tote around and sufficiently bright. I use lithium batteries and don't have to worry about the Streamlight dying after every inspection and needing to be recharged.

Look into Insulated screwdrivers. They provide a basic level of protection against electrical shock. Important when playing around service panels. A few bucks more but how much is your life worth? $10 buck per screwdriver times 3. My life is worth an extra $30 bucks.

Orginally I bought all my hand tools so the they matched. When I replaced my handtools I have a different vendor for each. The handles are different colors and shapes. I can grab a tool out of my pouch by feel and dont have to look down because each handle is different. Doesn't look as nice but functions better.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Flashlight
    Camera
    voltage tester
    moiture meter
    ir temp tester
    tape measure
    GFCI tester/ outlet tester
    digital recorder
    magnet , to see what the main water line is made of
    co tester,
    screwdriver
    leatherman multitool
    PEN, so they can write the check!!!
    thats my whole bag, aside from an IR camera which you don't need right now

This will show my age but I far prefer a folding ruler with a slip extension over a tape measure. I carry both and never use the tape. I let clients use it to measure windows and such if they wish.

Handy for pushing smoke alarm test buttons that are just out of reach, measure an air filter in a ceiling, fish a screw or something that fell under or beside something like an air handler.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Roll of blue painters tape to mark defects. Helps the defect to show up in photos. I use sparingly but usually let the buyer have fun during final walk thrus on new construction.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Dave Rose Guest

Thanks everyone, some really good ideas. I have now bought almost everything listed, even bought a set of insulated screwdrivers. No one mentioned a folding chair of some sort...where do you sit to do your report in an empty house? In your car? I will have an ipad, and will carry a folding chair for now...maybe get a camping portable seat later.

I'm still looking at flashlights...there seems to be a lot of discussion about some of the LED lights such as this one...lots of technical discussion about using Li-ion batteries in some flashlights...but I can't find the real reason. There are 3.0V RCR123 batteries, and 3.7V, and they say using a 3.7V in a device only designed for 3.0 can be a real issue...but it's hard to tell what it was designed for...most of them don't say.

Here's a flashlight I found that looks good...any thoughts on this? The streamlight is just so darn heavy!
    Olight M20S Warrior Premium R5 Black Tactical Flashlight with Side Switch 320 lumens: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Battery discussion:
    AW Battery AW RCR123 Li-Ion Rechargeable 3.7V 750mAH Battery - AW-RCR123

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rose View Post
    Thanks everyone, some really good ideas. I have now bought almost everything listed, even bought a set of insulated screwdrivers. No one mentioned a folding chair of some sort...where do you sit to do your report in an empty house? In your car? I will have an ipad, and will carry a folding chair for now...maybe get a camping portable seat later.

I'm still looking at flashlights...there seems to be a lot of discussion about some of the LED lights such as this one...lots of technical discussion about using Li-ion batteries in some flashlights...but I can't find the real reason. There are 3.0V RCR123 batteries, and 3.7V, and they say using a 3.7V in a device only designed for 3.0 can be a real issue...but it's hard to tell what it was designed for...most of them don't say.

Here's a flashlight I found that looks good...any thoughts on this? The streamlight is just so darn heavy!
    Olight M20S Warrior Premium R5 Black Tactical Flashlight with Side Switch 320 lumens: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Battery discussion:
    AW Battery AW RCR123 Li-Ion Rechargeable 3.7V 750mAH Battery - AW-RCR123
    Good for you on your tool investments. For about the past 10+ years I have used the Ultra Stinger flashlight. A supper bright light that is fairly heavy duty. It's only drawback is it's bulb is fragile and has about an 90 min run time with good batteries.

I changed lights a few months ago when I did not have a replacement bulb for my Ultra Stinger and I was at a job and heading to anther job. I stopped by Lowes and picked up a light by Coast. I think it was around $45, I believe it is model 25. It has a red ring around one end of the light. It runs on 3AAA batteries and will shine a beam about 100+ yards it is about 4" long and around 1.5" around with a push button on off switch on the end. I can get about 2 weeks of good use and then I notice that the light dims a bit, but it is still bright. This light is also a natural warmer color light and that blue/white color that so many LED's have. It also just a few ounces and not the pound and a half for the Ultra Stinger amd for $45 you can not beat it!

I'm sold on the LED lights.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Re: folding chair, I've never felt the need. I will stay on my feet for 4 hours or more, then I sit in my truck with payment in my pocket. I have a stepladder with a tray attachment I added which can serve as a standup desk. This I use when there is so much stuff in the house, I can't find a foot of clear or clean counter space. Two-legged animals. In that case, I'll just set myself up out on the back porch, thank you.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I use the Fenix TK40 flashlight. Love it. It uses AA batteries so I don't have to worry about some funky proprietary rechargeable types. It's bright, too... 630 lumens.

I just got my new ladder: a Little Giant 17' Type 1A Revolution XE. I love the rocker locks!

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Dorcy 142 0175 220 lumens LED Rechargable Flashlight w/ Adapters
    Comes with both AC DC Re chargers, permanent bulb 220 lumens in a machined Aluminum case, Very Bright White Light and can be had for about $50 bucks.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.