Dan Faith Guest

Default Re: Pictures: Scale of 1 to 10 what's your gut reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Faith View Post
    Are the walls separating from the roof in the pic showing the double-door entrance (from the inside)?
    Is that green stuff mold or just water stain?
    Inside, is that black mold?!?!?!?!

Thanks!
    Are the walls separating from the roof in the pic showing the double-door entrance (from the inside)?
    Is that a roof or a ceiling? The separation looks pretty consistent. What do you think?

I'd say algae.

If it's mold and it's black then it would be black mold. The color does not matter. It looks like this place sees alot of moisture so mold is a good bet. Why all the question marks and explanation marks?

Despite what you see in the news and what some inspectors say, unless you have severe allergies to a particular mold, it isn't going to hurt a healthy person unless you eat it. And even then it might be OK.

Please read:
    Indoor Fungal Habits

And for God's sake don't tell anyone they should have the mold tested.

This is from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
    CDC - Indoor Environmental Quality: Dampness and Mold in Buildings - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

CDC does not recommend routine sampling for molds. Generally, it is not necessary to identify the species of mold growing in a building. Measurements of mold in air are not reliable or representative. If mold is seen or smelled, there is a potential health risk; therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal. Furthermore, sampling for mold can be expensive, and standards for judging what is and what is not an acceptable or tolerable quantity of mold have not been established.

As far as a scale from 1 to 10. See the Inspectoon.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post

I'd say algae.
    I agree.

Also you might want to refer to this thread.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-problems.html

Looks like a typical POS repo...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

1) i'd say your still too damb cheap to hire a home inspector and by the time you are done trying to save 500 bucks you will have lost the house, deservedly so by the way!
    2)that house has been sitting vacant or unmaintained for quite some time and will need alot of repairs.
    having a general contractor do a walkthrough is also a good idea so you can get some real time estimates on those repairs.
    in my honest opinion you are in way over your head, as the damage to the home is very obvious in the pictures.
    so on a scale of 1 to 10 i would have to say
    "read #1 again"

A prepurchase inspection revealed mould around the attic hatch, by the time the inspector completed the home inspection and took tests of the mould and provided results he charged $1200. Then he recommended a mould remediation for the small area of mould around the hatch. Another $1200!

Talk about a rip off!

Dan Faith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Looks like a typical POS repo...
    LOLOLOLOL! Your picture oozes of someone named "Frank" that spends time @ the doughnut shop...drinking CAWfee....

Thanks!
    1) Wall separating? Sure why not possible deconjoining.
    2)Green stufff mold or stain? Both mold and stain and then some.
    3)Inside black mold? Why not, also maybe some blue mold.

Wow !!

That's a 10 fer sure !

Don't wait !

What a Deal !!
    *you'll need to take one of these to live in Best Value Gulfstream Stream Lite 22S Travel Trailer

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Dan Faith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Wow !!

That's a 10 fer sure !

Don't wait !

What a Deal !!
    *you'll need to take one of these to live in Best Value Gulfstream Stream Lite 22S Travel Trailer
    Agreed...I'm buying it. Another beauty....the deals, the deals!

70 Little Street Southeast, Atlanta GA - Trulia

Darrel Hood Guest

This is at least the second thread this guy has used to attempt to get free home inspections on the web. I suspect he is also a high risk to bring a suit if any of the free information is less than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    This is at least the second thread this guy has used to attempt to get free home inspections on the web. I suspect he is also a high risk to bring a suit if any of the free information is less than perfect.
    With No Money or Credit (now anyway) it's hard to " Buy " Anything.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Naaaaaa, I think he emotionally really wants the house and is just not willing to walk away. At the same time he is afraid to take on the unknown financial risk. Very typical with buyer/investors reduce the risk and increase the profit.

He already had the best advice, in that to, get a contractor to inspect the property in person. It is just hard for some people to just accept a situation and move on.

Since when is it verboten to ask for free advice? I see 'inspectors' posting inspection pictures on this forum asking for free advice all the time. I guess if they get bad advice they too can sue?

We can get sued for posting here? Criminy!
    Billy, I take back what I said about you in 2010. I am so sorry.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Dan Faith Guest

Thumbs up Re: Pictures: Scale of 1 to 10 what's your gut reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Wow !!

That's a 10 fer sure !

Don't wait !

What a Deal !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Naaaaaa, I think he emotionally really wants the house and is just not willing to walk away. At the same time he is afraid to take on the unknown financial risk. Very typical with buyer/investors reduce the risk and increase the profit.

He already had the best advice, in that to, get a contractor to inspect the property in person. It is just hard for some people to just accept a situation and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Since when is it verboten to ask for free advice? I see 'inspectors' posting inspection pictures on this forum asking for free advice all the time. I guess if they get bad advice they too can sue?
    You are exactly right Gary. Before I fly across the country and pay for an inspector, I was trying to get a proxy. Paying for an inspector in no way is the issue. Plus, I would not disrespect the livelihood of those that do this as a profession. I thought the board was intended for such guidance. Sorry I got the "brotherhood's" panties in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    We can get sued for posting here? Criminy!
    Billy, I take back what I said about you in 2010. I am so sorry.
    Too Late eh !

Johnnie Cockroach Will be Coming after the Whole Wardrobe.

*Dan if the property is in Alabama and your in Georgia couldn't you drive instead of flying across the Country ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

You are exactly right Gary. Before I fly across the country and pay for an inspector, I was trying to get a proxy. Paying for an inspector in no way is the issue. Plus, I would not disrespect the livelihood of those that do this as a profession. I thought the board was intended for such guidance. Sorry I got the "brotherhood's" panties in a bunch.
    It is not that panties are in a bunch rather it may be more about frustration. You have a limited number of pictures and a bad video that only generate additional questions. To answer what is going on over the door requires looking at all of the things that could cause the effect which we do not have access to. A picture of black stuff creates questions but without a very close view it is only a guess as to exactly what it is. Much of what Home Inspectors and Contractors do is intuitive as a result of decades of hands on experience. You seem to want an answer to a questions without providing enough information which is not uncommon. Even if you had 500 pictures to provide there may not be enough to provide conclusive answers because you needed 501. The process is very visual and acuity is critical. The fact that many say get a contractor to look at the problems and provide what the solutions are along with the cost involved to correct is a answer in itself. The contractor can also explain the causes behind the need for the repairs. Many here are willing to provide a definitive answer to any question if there is enough information, but failing enough information it is all just speculation. Members of this forum joke around and make comments that may be insensitive though factually true and correct. Many people seem to take comments which are direct and straight forward as hurtful, when it is just not shaded softened.

The real problem in your situation is that you need someone with experience to take the correct pictures that will afford someone else to be able to make a determination. Without the inherent knowledge of what to look for it becomes a situation of taking many pictures and hope that in those many there are the ones that are really required to make a determination. Some thing like taking an xray. If you don't know what you are looking for you have to take many to get the ones needed. Or with experience it is possible to only take the few that will show the problem.

You may have interpenetrated from reviewing this forum that we can make grand determinations on just a few pictures, well it is possible and happens. Then other times the pictures offered just cause more questions and possibilities with no concrete answers.

I can understand why you would have chosen this forum to seek your answers. Some of those same reasons are why I participate in this forum and only participate in other forums sparingly.

Some of the best advise is that which we dislike the most.