Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Those Sales People

So I get to my inspection this morning and quickly discover my camera is not in my tool bag (I left it in my hunting backpack after going turkey hunting Saturday morning). So my choices are to either drive the 30 minutes back home to retrieve it and start the inspection 1 hour late or just suck it up and go buy another camera at the closet store I find. I found a Staples, told the sales guy there my situation, and said "I'll take that camera and that memory card". As he's ringing me up (he must have been new), the assistant manager is hovering over his shoulder as he tries to sell me on their extended warranty program/accidental damage coverage. No, just the camera thanks. Then the assistant chimes in and starts asking me if there is anything wrong with the other camera. "NO. I left it at home and have no time to go back and get it". He tries selling me on the warranties too. What the hell is this?????? I've already explained I have no time and you're trying to upsell and get me roped into a warranty? JUST GIVE ME THE #$%&*@# camera and let me get out of here.

I guess they didn't get it that I consider these cameras fairly disposable if I'm just willing to buy a new one rather than drive another 30 minutes to go back and get my other one.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Those Sales People

Keep this incident in mind when you try to up sell a radon or termite test.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Except that might actually be of some value to someone

I get the same spiel on the cameras and shut them up quickly... I just ask if they will give me a new one when I lose it under a house? I always tell them once that's covered I'll buy it.

They're just doing their job, just like we do. They probably get a cut from each warranty sale, just like we do when we up sale.

I actually had an extended warranty on a digital camera once. It stopped working about a week prior to the warranty running out. Had it fixed for free. I had to buy another camera while it was in the shop for two weeks, but that's besides the point

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I don't mind them asking ONCE. Seems like I have heard before, No means No, and what part of NO do you not understand?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Would you like fries with that?

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I understand they are just doing their job Ken. But there's a little difference here. I was in a rush and running late which I told them. How many people do you talk to when setting up an inspection that are in such a rush they don't have time to talk about additional inspection services or options.

$50 camera warranty ......$150 for the camera (value is 1/3 the cost of the camera)
    $80 - $90 termite inspection (potential cost of $1,000 or more to treat a property for termites)
    $120+ for a radon test (potential cost of $1,000 or more to remediate radon levels)

I'd say the value to expenditure ratio is in our favor here.

Again, I wasn't begrudging them for the job they do. But........when I tell you I'm running late and the only reason I'm buying this camera is because I don't have time to run home and get my other camera, you don't need to ask me how old the camera at home is or if I've had any problems with it.

A few years ago I bought a $15 rabbit ears antenna (you young people will just have to look it up) at Radio Shack.
    The guy actually asked me if wanted the extended warranty for $5.
    I just laughed and he got the message.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

This is why I keep 4 cameras 3 flash lights 3 tester 2 cordless drills 2 ladders in the truck at all times.

could use another me some times...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    This is why I keep 4 cameras 3 flash lights 3 tester 2 cordless drills 2 ladders in the truck at all times.

could use another me some times...

Best

Ron
    I keep two trucks in my Subaru Outback.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Should have just carried the camera back and got you money back after you took the pictures. Keep the memory card and tell them you didn't like the camera.....

Booked a job at a 700+ unit condo, the salesperson was apparently giving the client problems about the inspection as he "only had time for a walk through".

I explained to the client that the only way I was going to do the job was "right", client calls back and says they had "made arrangements" to do so if I could do the job early in the morning.

I get there at 7:30, and am met by the Construction Manager, who does the walk through with the client.

Turns out he's *super* competent and knowledgeable guy - has a checklist for *everything*, and goes through the unit explaining everything to the client - all the FYI stuff I normally explain, plus lots I don't have time for.

Also, they are still building out some of the units, so all trades are on site - as fast as I am finding (small) problems he's putting together a list, and once I'm near the end of the inspection he calls guys down to fix them on the spot!

Now THAT's how to deal with a "problem" inspector.. left me nothing to report!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Wow... has anyone here posted this link?

http://www.youtube.com/v/gnDrpWAjBWI&feature=related

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

PLEASE!!, That fn B face realtor has been seen before and only gives us all nightmares.
    If there was a realtor clone, she would be it.
    if there was a dumb B clone, she would be it
    Please delete that link so it does not defile the site any more than it already has.
    Haunting!!

Post Re: Those Sales People

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Wow... has anyone here posted this link?

A dripping faucet. Conversely, perhaps a video should be done regarding real estate agents. How is it that real estate agents know so much about home inspections that just isn't so?

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Dan Kuznitsky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    So I get to my inspection this morning and quickly discover my camera is not in my tool bag (I left it in my hunting backpack after going turkey hunting Saturday morning). So my choices are to either drive the 30 minutes back home to retrieve it and start the inspection 1 hour late or just suck it up and go buy another camera at the closet store I find. I found a Staples, told the sales guy there my situation, and said "I'll take that camera and that memory card". As he's ringing me up (he must have been new), the assistant manager is hovering over his shoulder as he tries to sell me on their extended warranty program/accidental damage coverage. No, just the camera thanks. Then the assistant chimes in and starts asking me if there is anything wrong with the other camera. "NO. I left it at home and have no time to go back and get it". He tries selling me on the warranties too. What the hell is this?????? I've already explained I have no time and you're trying to upsell and get me roped into a warranty? JUST GIVE ME THE #$%&*@# camera and let me get out of here.

I guess they didn't get it that I consider these cameras fairly disposable if I'm just willing to buy a new one rather than drive another 30 minutes to go back and get my other one.
    At any big box type store like that the employees are required by mgmt to push warranties/service plans.... I'd be willing to bet that if the mgr was NOT perched over the guys shoulder he'd have heard your reasoning and left it alone.

Reminds me of when I go to a Best Buy though When I don't need help I get assaulted by every floor person in the store every 3 minutes... When I need help there's no one to be found.

Philip Guest

The realtor is scary. She is planning on making a living by not selling houses but giving advice in what to look for in buying a home, to make the buyers be their own inspectors. All I can say is in buying three homes in my life the realtors lied on every occasion.

That video has been around for a while and is just embarrassing to watch. Poorly made, poorly narrated, completely without any merit.

Is that realtor a man or a woman?

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey