Default Re: Global TV Home Inspection Report - Part 1/3

NACHI must be proud of their new inspector.

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    NACHI must be proud of their new inspector.
    A few points of interest:

1. This story is 1 year old and aired Nov. 2006 (Hardly qualifies as NEWS)

2. The house was inspected by an inspector that did not not belong to any association.

3. It might be helpful to go to the NACHI site and actually read both their membership requirements and their benefits. It's unlikely the NEW inspector has fulfilled any of the requirements beyond the test which she undoubtedly had help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kelly View Post
    "The house was inspected by an inspector that did not not belong to any association."
    Thats what the reporterette griped about just after she griped about the associations. Sorry miss, you can't have it both ways.
    I think home inspectors should do an expose on incompetent reporters. There's no shortage of them.
    Huh?

She *REPORTED* that the first inspector who missed those things did not belong to any association.

She *REPORTED* that an inspector from Independent Inspectors Association of North America found those things.

She *REPORTED* that two (or was it three) MORE inspectors who did belong to associations missed those things AFTER the inspector above found them and she had the house inspected as though she was buying it.

She *REPORTED* that all she had to do was take an on-line test and pay 300 bucks to become a Certified Home Inspector Fella with NACHI.

She *REPORTED* that Nicko accused her of fraud because she had help - which was kinda her point ... taking an on-line exam is meaningless.

She *REPORTED* the you can have help taking that on-line exam, because there is no one there watching over you - taking Nicko's argument away from him before he ever made it, but he tried to use it anyway.

She *REPORTED* ... hmmmmm, isn't that what "reporters" are supposed to do?

Fritz, you are not making any sense in your compliant of that news story - are you a full fledged, card carrying, Nicko Baby follower? Your post sure sounded like it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Belonging to an association and I mean ANY association does not guarantee you can or will perform a quality Home Inspection.
    The same is true for licensing/regulation which the story was attempting to demonstrate as needed and/or desireable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Belonging to an association and I mean ANY association does not guarantee you can or will perform a quality Home Inspection.
    However by belonging to an association you have hundreds of babbling associates claiming that it wasn't "his" fault, the world is at fault.

Captain

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Captain View Post
    However by belonging to an association you have hundreds of babbling associates claiming that it wasn't "his" fault, the world is at fault.

Captain
    You shouldn't talk about your friends like that Mitchell.

Mitchell Captain, the owner and incorporator, belongs or has belonged to the American Society of Home Inspectors, (ASHI) GulfStream ASHI (local chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors), SBCCI (Southern Building Code Conference International Inc), Independent home inspectors of North America, (IHINA) past senior inspector of NAPI (National Association of Property Inspectors). As well as the past editor and publisher of the Gulfstream Digest, a monthly newsletter to inspectors for inspectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kelly View Post
    Hah! No Jerry,
    Whew!

Why bring it up if you have already decided that the associations are worthless?

She didn't say that, she said SOME associations are worthless, like when you pass an on-line test and can become a Certified Home Inspector.

I like Nicko's response, as always, well thought out and intelligent: You committed fraud taking our test with help.

Yeah, Nicko, that's the point - ANYONE AND EVERYONE can do that with an on-line, un-proctored test.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You shouldn't talk about your friends like that Mitchell.

Mitchell Captain, the owner and incorporator, belongs or has belonged to the American Society of Home Inspectors, (ASHI) GulfStream ASHI (local chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors), SBCCI (Southern Building Code Conference International Inc), Independent home inspectors of North America, (IHINA) past senior inspector of NAPI (National Association of Property Inspectors). As well as the past editor and publisher of the Gulfstream Digest, a monthly newsletter to inspectors for inspectors.
    For some reason I have left them all except one. And that one leaves me alone.

Captain

Lewis Capaul Guest

A few points of interest:

1. This story is 1 year old and aired Nov. 2006 (Hardly qualifies as NEWS)

2. The house was inspected by an inspector that did not not belong to any association.

3. It might be helpful to go to the NACHI site and actually read both their membership requirements and their benefits. It's unlikely the NEW inspector has fulfilled any of the requirements beyond the test which she undoubtedly had help with.
    Tell us Mike, what provisions does Nachi, or InterNachi have in place to prevent, as Nick calls it, fraud? All your "qualifications" consist of online tests or training which, as has been demonstrated several times, does not prevent others from obtaining "Cerifications" for others. How many husband and wife teams belong to our association? Is it possible that a spouse received "assistance" in gaining his or her "certification"? As I have argued for several years, if Nachi wants to give its certifications credibility then it needs to require, at the least, proctored exams.

Even though this was aired a year ago, along with another series by the same reporter, just what has Nachi done in the mean time to prevent the fraudualant "Certifications" of anyone who wants the designation. Ms. Yong was probably not aware that for $175 more she could have become a "Certified Master Inspector".

There are a lot of very good Home Inspectors who belong to Nachi, but their qualifications are not because of Nick's online sales gimmicks, they're good because of their experience, training, and willingness to provide the best service they can to their customers, it's too bad that they are in the minority there and that if they argue for proctored exams and other increases in qualifications which would help increase the competency of members and the industry as a whole, they are attacked by members like you and the rest of the Bushart Pack. It appears that the majority of your members use the word "Certified" as a shield to disquise their competency and, in the case of
    CMI, often their honesty.

You said " It's unlikely the NEW inspector has fulfilled any of the requirements beyond the test which she undoubtedly had help with", that's probably true, but what does Nick, or his appointed leaders like Bushart, do to enforce their own rules and to prevent people like this reporter from performing inspections?
    Earlier this year you guys had "Operation Deadwood" removing all those who had not paid their dues from Nachi Membership, what ever happened to the promised phase two, that was supposed to remove all members who had not met the continuing or even basic requirements, did Nick realize that if he followed up on that, that his membership numbers`would be decimated?

Here's another old Youtube you won't like

YouTube - Phoenix TV's 3 on Your Side "Inspecting the Inspector"

Last edited by Lewis Capaul; 10-30-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted Account Guest

I believe the argument for a proctored exam is valid, not so much because home inspectors are dishonest by nature, but because it is a point of weakness that unscrupulous people can employ to sensationalize a point of view that in most cases is simply a non-sequitur.

One of the very first projects Florida NACHI will undertake is having all Florida NACHI members certified through proctored testing, this is already the norm in states where it is required for licensing.

I don't expect proctored testing will present much of a change in the big picture though as most of the home inspectors I know have an insatiable appetite for knowledge and their current education level far exceeds that which is necessary to pass an entry level exam.

Lewis Capaul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    I believe the argument for a proctored exam is valid, not so much because home inspectors are dishonest by nature, but because it is a point of weakness that unscrupulous people can employ to sensationalize a point of view that in most cases is simply a non-sequitur.

One of the very first projects Florida NACHI will undertake is having all Florida NACHI members certified through proctored testing, this is already the norm in states where it is required for licensing.

I don't expect proctored testing will present much of a change in the big picture though as most of the home inspectors I know have an insatiable appetite for knowledge and their current education level far exceeds that which is necessary to pass an entry level exam.
    That's good Joe, although your buddy Bushart would bitch if anyone else required that of a achi member. You've been a big supporter of Bushart and others "Conflict of Interest" arguments, how does that work with your other announced requirements for Florida Nachi members to become ICC or IRC Certified, with your and Greg's involvement in ICC Training vendorships?

I think ICC is a good idea, but when it is being pushed and made a membership requirement by the chapter president, who is one of the owners of a company providing ICC Training for a fee, isn't that even a bigger conflict of interest than Reltor referrals? Of course as a past memkber of NachiI realize that is the way Nick does business, CEU's provided by NACHI Vendors.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Capaul View Post
    I think ICC is a good idea, but when it is being pushed and made a membership requirement...

Where did you ever get the idea that ICC certification was a Florida NACHI requirement, who said that? The truth is programs of all sort will be made available to members who choose to take the courses. The only thing that is required is passing a proctored exam and all current HI exams are honored, ie. FABI, NHIE etc.

In regards to who will be running Florida NACHI, no one but Florida NACHI members will have any say as to the management of Florida NACHI, from it's inception it will operate as a separate 501(c)6 non-profit corporation with its own charter.

One of the reasons that low-cost ICC Certification training is being offered is because there is a glitch bill in the works through Senator Wise' office that would establish two-tiered licensing with ICC certified inspectors at the top and we want to make sure that Florida NACHI members are well represented in that upper group if the bill is enacted.

Lewis Capaul Guest

Where did you ever get the idea that ICC certification was a Florida NACHI requirement, who said that? The truth is programs of all sort will be made available to members who choose to take the courses. The only thing that is required is passing a proctored exam and all current HI exams are honored, ie. FABI, NHIE etc.

In regards to who will be running Florida NACHI, no one but Florida NACHI members will have any say as to the management of Florida NACHI, from it's inception it will operate as a separate 501(c)6 non-profit corporation with its own charter.

One of the reasons that low-cost ICC Certification training is being offered is because there is a glitch bill in the works through Senator Wise' office that would establish two-tiered licensing with ICC certified inspectors at the top and we want to make sure that Florida NACHI members are well represented in that upper group if the bill is enacted.
    I got the idea from your statement in another thread, "My partner Greg Bell has just been voted the president of Florida NACHI, one of his goals over the next three years is for each & every Florida NACHI member (about 600 members) to be certified as an ICC Residential Combination Inspector.".

I see it was just a "goal" not necessarily a requirement, but your Buddy Bushart would still bitch if anyone else pushed that goal, and a serious conflict of interest does exist between the goals of the the new Nachi Florida President and his business interests concerning providing the service, for a fee, to meet those goals.

I like the two tier ICC "glitch", doesn't that "glitch" go against your arguments that licensing does not raise the standards of the Home Inspection industry? It seems inspectors in Florida will be able to exercise their right to freedom of choice, they can choose what level of professionalism they want to operate under, of course that option may upset those who purchased Nick's wonderful CMI designation in Florida, at least, it seems an Inspector will have to prove that he is qualified for a higher designation.

As far as your ICC training goes, it seems you and Greg are following in the footsteps of your Idol Nick, creating a captive audience for your marketing, the InterNachi way.

Deleted Account Guest

As far as your ICC training goes, it seems you and Greg are following in the footsteps of your Idol Nick, creating a captive audience for your marketing, the InterNachi way.

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success", from your lips to Gods ear.

Lewis Capaul Guest

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success", from your lips to Gods ear.
    I don't question the "success", I question the ethics of creating a captive group for your products while claiming that you've done so for the "betterment" of the group and not the profit you actually seek.

As far a "success" goes an interesting study would be to measure the "success" of the members of Nachi, Ashi, and NAHI and give a result as a percentage of of the membership numbers of the different associations, based on profit and longevity. From experience with Nachi we know that a large percentage of its members disappear after their first or free year of membership expires, and many more disappear after the 2nd and 3rd years. Maybe that's true for all the associations, but I'd be interested in who loses the most.

If you measure success by measuring the profit made from selling "soap" to newbie inspectors, then Nick and Nachi win hands down. Just how many Vendors are their on the Nachi rolls, and do they as "members" have to pass the online test and other ongoing requirements, do they even pay their membership fees?

Michael Larson Guest

....................... then Nick and Nachi win hands down.
    Oops! That's not really fair as I quoted Lewis out of context.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you at your former association.