Default Under stair protection R311.2.2?

Anyone know what happened to this provision? It's in the 2003 IRC, and the first printing of the 2006 IRC, but not the online 6th printing of the 2006.

"R311.2.2 Under stair protection.

Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with ½-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board."

The photo shows the underside of new construction main stairs with the main water service shut-off. This space is "accessible", and I would assume HAS TO BE accessible because of the shut-off. The builder is saying it's not a storage area so doesn't have to be drywalled.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Arnold; 11-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Under stair protection R311.2.2?

Now I see it's in the 2009 IRC, under R302.7, so I guess that online 6th printing must just be defective.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Anyone know what happened to this provision? It's in the 2003 IRC, and the first printing of the 2006 IRC, but not the online 6th printing of the 2006.

"R311.2.2 Under stair protection.
    Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with ½-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board."

The photo shows the underside of new construction main stairs with the main water service shut-off. This space is "accessible", and I would assume HAS TO BE accessible because of the shut-off. The builder is saying it's not a storage area so doesn't have to be drywalled.

Nothing "happened to it" it is there in the edition and "printing" on-line you cite.

It is certanly "there" in the on-line free version of the sixth edition of the 2006 IRC (clickable link, scroll down) here: Chapter 3 - Building Planning

International Residential Code 2006 Edition (Sixth Printing) on-line FREE at http://publiccodes.cyberregs.com

SECTION R311 MEANS OF EGRESS

R311.1 General.

Stairways, ramps, exterior egress balconies, hallways and doors shall comply with this section.

R311.2 Construction.

R311.2.1 Attachment. Required exterior egress balconies, exterior exit stairways and similar means of egress components shall be positively anchored to the primary structure to resist both vertical nd lateral forces. Such attachment shll not be accomplished by use of toenails or nils subject to withdrawl.

R311.2.2 Under stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, understair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with 1/2-inch (13 mm) gypsum board.
    R311.3 Hallways.

The minimum width of a hallway shall not be less than 3 feet (914 mm).

{end snippet}
    The question IS, is the under-stair space "enclosed" (fully). Strictly from what has been photographed and described, that has not been established.

The unsupported, sagging, unprotected or separated duct, and its relationship to the means of egress stairway brings up additional issues/concerns.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Nothing "happened to it" it is there in the edition and "printing" on-line you cite.

It is certanly "there" in the on-line free version of the sixth edition of the 2006 IRC (clickable link, scroll down) here: Chapter 3 - Building Planning
    I didn't realize I had to click on "Next Section" to get there. I was only seeing R311.2.1.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    ...The question IS, is the under-stair space "enclosed" (fully). Strictly from what has been photographed and described, that has not been established...
    Yes, it is fully enclosed.

I am not sure I am understanding the "enclosed accessible" part of this.

The below pictures are of a stairs in an as yet unfinished, but conditioned basement of a new house. Behind where I am standing to take these pictures are windows and a set of french doors leading to the back yard.

The lower run and landing are fully enclosed, but not accessible as there is no access door framed into the side walls. As I interpret the code this area would NOT need to have sheetrock installed.

The upper run are I believe fully enclosed, and accessible through the opening framed for a door into what is an under stairs closet. As I interpret the code this area would need to have sheetrock installed.

I have two questions.

1) Is my understanding/interpretation correct ?

2) Does the fact that these understair spaces are in a currently unfinished basement, although one intended to be finished, change how you would interpret/write up this particular example in your inspection report ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS. I hope this isn't too much of a hijack. I logged on to post this question and saw this thread at the top and figured it made more sense to join in an already existing discussion.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images