Default Condensate & other liquid discharge

Once in a while I get interesting feedback from a client, the following is some that comes as a result of my recommendation that the leaky condensate be plumbed to the exterior (in addition to the leak repair). I follow the rule that if it aint sanitary sewer it goes to daylight but I do not have copies of the current mechanical or plumbing codes so I am looking for some help.

This is what they sent me....
    Seller will make the
    necessary repair to stop any further leaking from that fitting. In
    addition, the Seller will ensure the condensate will properly drain to the
    lowest point of the crawl space where a positive
    drain is currently present (by code) at the lowest point of the crawl space
    will let any water drain to daylight away from the foundation.

I can’t imagine that code allows you to drain the output from the dehumidifier and the washing machine into the crawlspace? Can confirm? I think I’d like to push them to continue the pipes to the outside of the foundation. However, if we drain them on the other side of the foundation (below grade), I assume they need to tie it into the drainage pipes?

Thoughts

OREP Insurance
    Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Default Re: Condensate & other liquid discharge

Your area may require a drain to drain out any water which accidentally gets into the crawlspace (from flooding, rain, etc) but the code does not allow water to be intentionally drained to the crawlspace.

In some areas it is up to the AHJ (the building official) as to what they consider to be an "approved" place of disposal.

From the 2009 IRC, I don't recall a NC amendment changing this section: (bold is mine)
    - M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Such piping shall maintain a minimum horizontal slope in the direction of discharge of not less than 1/8 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (1-percent slope). Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As Jerry noted, it needs to drain to the exterior or outside of the buildings envelope. It is completely wrong to drain it to the crawlspace in hopes that the foundation drain will take care of it.

It's not your battle... Tell the buyer that the seller is wrong and not to accept this for a proper repair.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Seller will ensure the condensate will properly drain to the
    lowest point of the crawl space where a positive
    drain is currently present (by code) at the lowest point of the crawl space
    I interpreted this differently to read there is a floor drain in the crawlspace at the lowest point which to me suggest the floor of the crawlspace is slopped to the drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I interpreted this differently to read there is a floor drain in the crawlspace at the lowest point which to me suggest the floor of the crawlspace is slopped to the drain?
    In NC it is going to be a dirt or gravel on the crawlspace floor. I'm 99% sure the owner is talking about the lowest corner of the crawlspace where a daylight drain (hole through the foundation wall with a drain pipe) that allows ground water to drain out of the area if it gets into the crawlspace.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

In NC it is a dirt crawlspace and the low spot will have some stone and an outlet to allow trap water to exit but condensate is still condensate and should not go into the crawlspace. I was just looking for some validation to help and I do go the extra mile when possible to help my clients fight the good fight.

Many thanks to all who participated.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post

I can’t imagine that code allows you to drain the output from the dehumidifier and the washing machine into the crawlspace?
    How did the washing machine get into the picture? I did not see anything in the post to suggest that the washing machine was draining into the crawl space.