Thread: Gas dryers.

Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Gas dryers.

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-20-2007 at 07:48 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Cool Re: Gas dryers.

There are jurisdictions (many) that don't enforce the 18" elevation rule in garages under the premise that gas-fired automatic clothes dryers are “attended” appliances. Yep, and if you ask them I'm sure those same jurisdictions have a bridge somewhere to sell you.
    It's a lame deal at best and I always wrote it up as a hazard to occupants. Did any of my clients ever raise em? Ya, right!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Default Re: Gas dryers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    There are jurisdictions (many) that don't enforce the 18" elevation rule in garages under the premise that gas-fired automatic clothes dryers are “attended” appliances. Yep, and if you ask them I'm sure those same jurisdictions have a bridge somewhere to sell you.
    It's a lame deal at best and I always wrote it up as a hazard to occupants. Did any of my clients ever raise em? Ya, right!
    I second West Coast Jerry's comments.

I never could find the 'Exception: Gas clothes dryers need not be elevated'. Anyone every find that exception?

Didn't think so.

Tell the builder that if he raised the appliances like he was supposed to for protection from vehicle damage, *they would be "elevated"*.

How were the appliances protected from physical damage (I know, I know, *I'm assuming* they were protected here - but 'were they')?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Gas dryers.

I believe the requirement is that the flame must be 18" above the garage slab. There are some dryers where the burner is not down near the ground but up high in the rear corner.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Joe Nernberg Guest

Cool Re: Gas dryers.

"Place dryer at least 18 inches (46 cm) above the floor
    for a garage installation." See page 3 of clothes dryer installation instructions: http://www.estateappliances.com/data/8562589.pdf