Jim Dull Guest

Default Lots of Insulation

How do you inspect an attic when it is this full of insulation?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Jim Dull Guest

Default Re: Lots of Insulation

Sorry. Forgot the pic

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

All you can do Jim is look at what you can see and get to and disclaim the rest. I know some guys will not walk in an attic that has the floor covered with insulation and has no floor decking but if you take your time and feel for the joists with your feet, you can make your way around in the attic. You just can't see everything.

Jim Dull Guest

Thanks Nick. Yeah, I agree. I will always feel my way around if possible but this one wasn't.

Patrick Norton Guest

Jim, I will climb in the trusses or framing as much as I can but I don't disturb the insulation levels where not already disturbed.

I won't step on a truss or joist where I can't 'wiggle' the insulation away with my foot and see or feel wood. Too many mechanicals to step on, damage and/or be hurt by. A lot depends on the pitch of the roof. If I can basically stand up I'll make a run down the middle. Something like that picture? No way... I look from about the point where you took the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dull View Post
    "Attic was viewed from the access hatch. Attic was not entered due to restricted clearance, insulation covering joists and the possibility of damaging finished ceilings. Client is advised that inspection of this area was limited."

Either that or you swim through. Personally, I like getting insulation in all of my orifices.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

That being said, I still make an effort whenever possible to get to the areas around the heating flue pipes and other roof penetrations to look for evidence of leaks. If there is a type B flue vent running through the attic, chances are pretty good that there will be something in contact with the pipe that shouldn't be like piled up insulation. It's also good to push back the insulation around the flue pipe and make sure the penetration is firestopped.

Thats not really a problem.

You just take one of those gas powered lawn blowers and start working towards the rear of the attic.

When you make it to the end of the attic, you reverse the process but try to keep the insulation from blowing back through the attic opening.

rick

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dull View Post
    "Float like a butterfly"

I will not enter an attic space in which the tops of the joists are covered with insulation. Even though I can probably wiggle my foot around and find solid footing, the insulation is compressed or otherwise disturbed by walking on it, thereby reducing its insulation properties and damaging the insulation "system". My inspections do no damage. I report and disclaim.

I felt around with my foot once too.....and ended up with one leg in the bedroom below me.

Price of inspection: $275
    Price for repairs: $480
    Lesson: "limited evaluation"