Default AC into Mechanical Room

Today was fun. I saw a lot of things that I had never seen before.

In a large garage, the previous owners had built a cold storage room. It was probably for beer or wine, but who knows. They made the room by installing a small window AC unit in the wall. The other side of the wall is the mechanical room, with a boiler and water heater. The mechanical room has plenty of external combustion air, and a door sealed between the mechanical area and the garage.

What are the ramifications of having the back of the AC in the mechanical room? It doesn't draw air into the cold storage, so it should maintain neutral air pressure. The area is all separated from the living space properly. It looks wrong, but I can't really think of a reason why it is wrong offhand.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: AC into Mechanical Room

Where does the condensation go? If a "slinger ring" then the humidity on the mechanical room will rise substantially when the unit is running and will likely cause water dripping on humid days.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

True. I didn't think of that, but there was nothing in place for the condensation. Not that we get much here.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

David Bell Guest

The only real issue I see is the lack of firestopping around the A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    The only real issue I see is the lack of firestopping around the A/C.

If the both the cooler room and the mechanical room are in the garage which is (should be) separated from house with a fire wall, then why would the AC opening be a concern with or with out a fire stop?

David Bell Guest

My thinking was because the mechanical room was seperated from the garage, that it should be seperated from the cold room too.