Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Good Thing I Had no Work Today or Tomorrow

I woke up this morning with a case of "positional vertigo" as described by my doctor. My balance was all out of whack. Walking and going down steps felt like I was on a trampoline. It was bad enough this morning I felt nauseous. My doctor checked me out and said I check out fine in all areas and that it's not an ear infection. He said give it a couple days and it should go away on it's own. I certainly hope so. I've never had this before and I definitely don't want it again.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Good Thing I Had no Work Today or Tomorrow

nick

it wasn't the weekend BOTTLE FLU was it

cvf

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    nick

it wasn't the weekend BOTTLE FLU was it

cvf
    I would have expected that on Sunday considering the night we had at a friend's place on Saturday night.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Nick - I had that. BPPV, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Debris in your semi-circular canals (I think) cause your brain to think down is up, etc.
    There is a treatment you can perform yourself which I'm sure you can find on youtube and elsewhere online. It's supposed to help reposition the debris into a part of the middle (inner?) ear where it won't cause so much trouble.
    My first attack was at the gym. I was stretching and turning my head a certain way and suddenly the room started to spin. Not pleasant!

BPPV -- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

John, I just got doing my Youtube exercises to "realign my crystals". I got similar recommendations from others and thought I've got nothing to lose. The exercises seem to have helped a bit. All in all, it has gotten a little better as the day has worn on. I felt terrible first thing this morning.

John, how long did it take for you to get over your symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    John, how long did it take for you to get over your symptoms?
    If memory serves, the worst was over in a few days, but it took quite a while, like months, before I felt I could turn my head to look up a fireplace chimney without danger of recurrence.

The "repositioning crystals" movements and positions, as you probably have learned, can exacerbate symptoms temporarily, too.
    There are professionals who are experienced at putting your head through the positions, like neurologists and some physical therapists.

BPPV is pretty common. I know several people who have gone through it.
    Don't worry, Nick, you're just getting old!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

How about climbing ladders?

How about climbing ladders?
    It was really set off by turning my head quickly, or all the way to one side while on all fours, like sticking my head in a fireplace and then trying to look up the chimney.
    I really don't recall any problems with ladders.

I guess I'll see how things go at tomorrow's inspection and go from there. Luckily it's a carriage house that doesn't require the extension ladder.

Could be a minor case of the Flu.
    Vertigo and dizziness may occur without all of the other symptoms..

Two days later now. It's still hanging around but it's getting progressively better. Other than this bouncy sensation, I feel fine.

Something else to consider (hope just the flu)
    A friend of mine came down with this and became disabled from Sunoco

Meniere's Disease

Meniere's disease: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Has been suggested as the cause of the health problems of Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by Joseph Hagarty; 02-01-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks for the cheery info Joe.

Nick, I experienced what sounds like the same thing about a month ago. Was doing an inspection of the underside of a deck and fell over like an Artie Johnson skit on Laugh-In. Had to hang on to something when I looked up for the rest of the inspection. (the roof got the binocular treatment). For about a week I had to put a hand on the wall after getting up in the morning, but was ok after about an hour. Didn't tell the wife, she would have freaked! All is well now so hope you have the same outcome.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Dave Brady Guest

That's smart advice. So much of social discussion success really does come down to old-fashioned good manners.

Don Burbach Guest

Wow, I also dread those days when I wake up feeling like dog doo-doo. My issue was a gout flare-up before I gave in to taking medicine and just controlling my diet didn't work anymore.

I watched my wife(60-ish) with your symptoms for two months. Doctor had her drinking more water(dehydration), did blood work, ear exams, and vision work. She couldn't lie down in bed or get up without the room spinning!

Same doctor then suggested the 'Epley Maneuver' as found on YouTube. Relief was in minutes!!! Came back in minor version once or twice within the last two years, but always went away easily!

I wouldn't have believed the answer was so simply, but I saw it as it happened! I think you've tried this, but here is a testimonial that it does work.

Epley maneuver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not gone but it is much better than it was on Monday. Those movements/exercises do help.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    Something else to consider (hope just the flu)

Meniere's Disease

Has been suggested as the cause of the health problems of Vincent Van Gogh
    Nick, you may want to wear a muff over your left ear and lock up the sharp knives.

Seriously, don't walk that roof till you're 100%.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Nick, you may want to wear a muff over your left ear and lock up the sharp knives.

Seriously, don't walk that roof till you're 100%.
    Too late. I've been on 3. I'm was only off balance on Monday which was the day it hit me and I had my first inspection on Wednesday. I probably feel it the most when I have to get down on my hands and knees.

I got that same thing from a sinus problem Thanksgiving weekend, waking up in the middle of the night with the room spinning. Then getting motion sickness when you are sitting still was terrible and I have never had motion sickness prior to that. I was out of commission for 3 days and couldn't drive for about a week. Even then pulling up to a stop sign and having to look both ways turned into a carnival ride. I am still not 100% but can easily function as long as I remember not to try to change directions too fast.

I was at the doctor a couple of weeks ago for an unrelated problem and mentioned my sinus problem and vertigo to him. He said it was not unusual for the effects to last for some time before you get back to normal. Getting old sucks!

I woke up this morning with a case of "positional vertigo" as described by my doctor. My balance was all out of whack. Walking and going down steps felt like I was on a trampoline. It was bad enough this morning I felt nauseous. My doctor checked me out and said I check out fine in all areas and that it's not an ear infection. He said give it a couple days and it should go away on it's own. I certainly hope so. I've never had this before and I definitely don't want it again.
    Ever think you might want to visit the Cardiologist? Your vertigo might be a sign not enough oxygen to the brain because of clogged arteries. Could be a warning sign of possible stroke symptoms. Mine turned out to be my arteries were stiffining up. Got the proper medication and I are fine now. I've had more energy than ever.

Default Good Thing I Had no Work Today or Tomorrow

I'm newbie reading this old post. I've encountered your symptoms as well. It's probably simple DEHYDRATION. Drink lots water - it takes nearly 2 weeks to hydrate body cells.

It appears that the inversion table I have been using has been great for lower back pain, but may have the undesireable side effect of bringing back the positional vertigo. Glad I saw this post a few months ago, thanks Nick. Now I have due the repositioning thing. Hope it works!

Hope you feel better soon Vern.

It took about 4.5 months but the symptoms are all pretty much gone now hopefully to never return again.

Hope you feel better soon Vern.

It took about 4.5 months but the symptoms are all pretty much gone now hopefully to never return again.

The symptoms are fairly mild this time, I think I will stop shaking my head to loosen neck while inverted though!

Did you do the "Epely maneuver" to clear the symptoms?

I did. They seemed to help too.

Getting old does suck, but the alternative...........!

Damn, I'm only 42. Has it started already?

Smile Re: Good Thing I Had no Work Today or Tomorrow

I know this is an OLD OLD post, but I have suffered from vertigo since 1986.. Same dizziness, weaknesses. I still have occasional bouts of "shakiness and weak knees".
    I still climb roofs. attics but must know exactly where my feet are at all times.. Hang on to rafters and trusses..

ALSO> l did find that artificial sweetners such as Nutrasweet, Aspartame, Saccarhine and others aggravate or "make the condition" worse.

I haven't had an artificial sweetner since the late 80's. Untill recently. I was having an occasional headache and dizziness. I found out that the gum I was chewing everyonce in a while had an artificial sweetner. Stopped chewing it. Things got better.

(BTW, my wife had bought the gum..) I blame her. but my fault for not checking.

If you drink diet drinks or use any artificial sweetners, try doing without them for a while.. See if your condition improves.

good luck all, and stay out of the heat if at all possible

RES