Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Big Snow Coming - Postpone Inspections?

We're supposed to get at least 8-12 inches of snow here starting tonight and going into Saturday. Where as this may not be a huge amount in some areas, people around here get petrified by snow and drive appropriately. I have a job for Saturday morning and it doesn't look like it will be fun. I'm up in the air on whether or not to forge ahead or postpone it. I won't be able to get on the roof but with this much snow, I may not be able to get on the roof for a few days at the very least.

What do most of you do? I've only postponed a inspection once and that was because of monsoon-like conditions.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Big Snow Coming - Postpone Inspections?

If its a bad storm I would be inclined to reschedule, and have done so.

Recommend to your client to reschedule inspection. If they resist and you decide to go ahead, at least they were informed.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    We're supposed to get at least 8-12 inches of snow here starting tonight and going into Saturday.
    We are too hot this year. Please bring your snow here, the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olmypic Games is moving hundreds truckload of snow from hundreds miles away.

I won't be able to get on the roof but with this much snow, I may not be able to get on the roof for a few days at the very least.
    For my safety, I report "Snow covers roof, roof coverings condition unknown". Then, get into the attic, check any damage or leaking signs.
    I never walk on the roof, if it is wet, mossy, steep, too high, or too dry on cedar roof. But always make visual inspection using telescope from the street and enter attic. Always take photos for the roof and attic.

What do most of you do? I've only postponed an inspection once and that was because of monsoon-like conditions.
    I recommend to reschedule the booking, but it is up to the client's decision.

Last edited by Daniel Leung; 02-05-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Had a similar situation this week. We had snow/ice storm hit Friday evening. Roads were covered in5 inches of ice. Neighborhood streets are impassable.

I had one scheduled for Sunday afternoon and another Monday morning. School buses did not run until Thursday Morning due to road conditions.

I was not willing to risk driving based on the road conditions. I contacted both clients at least one day in advance and suggested we reschedule. Both agreed.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

If I postponed an inspection because of snow I wouldn't work from November 'til April. Leave early and drive carefully.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

The difference Ken is that you're in Minnesota where they know how to handle snow and people have learned to live with it. Here is PA, you'd swear flaming cannonballs were falling from the sky when they talk about snow. A one inch dusting becomes the lead story on the TV news and people scarf up all the bread, milk, and eggs they can find. Who doesn't sit around in a snowstorm and make french toast?

I think driving around here in the rain can be just as bad as snow with the way some people react to it.

It's pretty similar around here when it snows.... the city basically shuts down. We get the "Breaking News" alerts on all the local stations as though the world is ending.

As for inspections, I'll often try to reschedule but if I meet any resistance I'll just do it and disclaim what I can't see. I've gone back to finish up an inspection for no additional charge because of the snow. I'd never do that during normal times but in order to "sell" an inspection I offered it (and it was pretty close to home).

I actually bought my house with a snow covered roof. The seller was a RE agent and let me pretty much have access to the house for about a week and the snow just never melted. Everything else in the house was professionially done and there was no sign of a "weekend warrior" anywhere so I gambled (I did poke around the edges and it was good). Once the snow melted and I got on it and it was pretty much perfect (at least for a 10 year old roof). If nothing else it makes a good come back when buyers ask "what would you do?" - I usually respond that they don't want to know what I'd do.... I've done some pretty dumb things before

It's a classic blizzard. We've gotten about a foot so far, but it's snowing sideways and drifting like crazy, so it's a little hard to tell. I expect we'll have about 2 feet by the time it's over.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

John, a classic blizzard was predicted for North Jersey. It's not even snowing; now we might get an inch.

I postponed my inspection until later in the week and my client had no problem with it. I don't know if the roof will be clear by Friday but we'll see.

I postponed my inspection until later in the week and my client had no problem with it. I don't know if the roof will be clear by Friday but we'll see.
    More snow forecast for Wednesday, Nick!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    More snow forecast for Wednesday, Nick!
    But......but.....I just got done shoveling.