Default Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

1963 home with steelform fireplace. I don't understand what holds the liner tile up even though it has been there for 50 years, but it does not appear to be a problem. The gap at the corner of the steelform smoke chamber to liner connection has me more concerned. The wood framing through the roof in the attic has had a fire in the past. New wood sheathing (too small) suggest the problem has been addressed. Is the gap still a problem that needs to be repaired? Was it the reason for fire in the attic?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Steelform smoke chamber to liner connection

Photo 2 looks like water damage, not fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Photo 2 looks like water damage, not fire.
    The wood is charred at the end of the header.

You know Dom, I'm re-looking at this and wondering where the smoke went? The wood looks just like a piece of half burnt fire wood or charcoal, but you may be right!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    1963 home with steelform fireplace. I don't understand what holds the liner tile up even though it has been there for 50 years, but it does not appear to be a problem. The gap at the corner of the steelform smoke chamber to liner connection has me more concerned. The wood framing through the roof in the attic has had a fire in the past. New wood sheathing (too small) suggest the problem has been addressed. Is the gap still a problem that needs to be repaired? Was it the reason for fire in the attic?
    I also think that looks like water damage.

Looks like a combination of water damage, and perhaps some type of resin being drawn out of the wood? Saw something very similar in my girlfriends attic.

Can you smell any burnt wood or smoke in the attic?

James Kollhopp
    www.WeInspectItHomeInspections.com
    "Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."

Quote Originally Posted by James Kollhopp View Post
    Looks like a combination of water damage, and perhaps some type of resin being drawn out of the wood? Saw something very similar in my girlfriends attic.

Can you smell any burnt wood or smoke in the attic?
    No. That is why I am in agreement with the moisture damage, never seen it look so charred before though.

What about the gap in the steelform smoke chamber to flue connection? Anybody!

The gap between the first flue tile and the terminus of the steelform's smoke chamber must be sealed. This is one of the major defects in these fireplaces. They did not engineer them to mate up with the normally used nominal flue tiles but rather the true sizes, which are larger. Thus, the supporting edge is often too small.

A gap is a gap, whether from a missing flue tile, cracked flue tile, or missing mortar joint.

The 'burn' patterns suggest the fire started above. Possibly a roof ignition or framing too close to chimney. Regardless, all damaged wood should be cut away and replaced. New work should meet stated clearances. Some signs of moisture damage, too. Did you test this darkened area with a knife or screwdriver? Try to scrape some char away and smell it? Is the wood sponge or crunchy at the darkened areas?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Kinda looks like heat from the chimney caused the sap to bubble out of the wood along with water stains, but wasn't there to smell it

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Kinda looks like heat from the chimney caused the sap to bubble out of the wood along with water stains, but wasn't there to smell it
    Yeah I'm Smelling Something.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Creosote staining.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Creosote staining.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

More wasted bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    The gap between the first flue tile and the terminus of the steelform's smoke chamber must be sealed. This is one of the major defects in these fireplaces. They did not engineer them to mate up with the normally used nominal flue tiles but rather the true sizes, which are larger. Thus, the supporting edge is often too small.

A gap is a gap, whether from a missing flue tile, cracked flue tile, or missing mortar joint.

The 'burn' patterns suggest the fire started above. Possibly a roof ignition or framing too close to chimney. Regardless, all damaged wood should be cut away and replaced. New work should meet stated clearances. Some signs of moisture damage, too. Did you test this darkened area with a knife or screwdriver? Try to scrape some char away and smell it? Is the wood sponge or crunchy at the darkened areas?
    I did not scrape the area and now wish I had. I have supplemented the heating of my house with a fireplace for many years and the look of the wood was convincingly burnt. The wood had all the bumps and cracks of charred wood in my fireplace, though the pic's did not show it. The charred looking wood was on the back side of the framing and hard to get a picture of. This was a pre-listing inspection and the owners said they had only used the fireplace once since they bought the house, and I think they have owned it for 5-8 years. I recommended a full inspection by a licensed chimney sweep and pointed out the gap at the flue and the suspect wood framing.

Thanks for the steelform information and I will surely poke and scrape next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    More wasted bandwidth.