Default Crack in Brick Siding.

This brick veneer house has a crack starting from the roof and moving up through the mortar and finishing at the trim. The crack is at least 1/4" or greater in one spot. Not sure you can see it but it finishes above the shutter and goes around two bricks. It almost like you can lift them out. My question, how significant is this and do I have it evaluated further by an engineer. My customer is concerned. The rest of the house is perfect.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Crack in Brick Siding.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    My question, how significant is this and do I have it evaluated further by an engineer. My customer is concerned.
    Looks like the brick veneer at the corner over the roof as settled with the roof (the roof looks like it is dipping down there).

I would recommend a structural engineer design appropriate repairs.

The rest of the house is perfect.
    "The rest of the house is perfect."

I sure hope you did not miss other stuff then ...

I've only seen one near-perfect house, and that was when I was just starting out and only found 10 items wrong with it. I am sure it was not that the house was 'that good', it was that I was 'that bad'.

Oh, and down spouts discharging onto the shingles is not good for the shingles either, but you got that one too, I am sure.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry, I was really emphasizing that the rest of the siding was perfect. No, the house had other problems. You might see that the step flashing is bent up in one of the pictures and yes, I did get the gutter.

Jim Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    I was really emphasizing that the rest of the siding was perfect. No, the house had other problems.
    Whoosh, right over my head.

Whew!

You might see that the step flashing is bent up in one of the pictures
    I wondered if that was just an optical illusion from the angle as the ones on the side were okay.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com