Thread: Newb in need

Default Newb in need

Hey guys. I came across this Home with an underground propane tank. My question is do some homes have both propane and gas or is it just one or the other. The water heater had a "propane" sticker on it but the furnaces didn't. I found this shutoff from what looked like what I normally see a gas meter connected to but there was no gas meter. Is this for the propane tank or am I missing something. I know this is a stupid question but I haven't done many inspections at all and haven't come across any type of propane yet

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Newb in need

Really no need for both types of gas, I only see one or the other in a home (not counting the occasional BBQ hook-up). The gas appliance needs to be factory set up or field converted for either type of gas (different orifice or nozzle).

Photo 1 shows a regulator with a remote vent pipe, pretty standard setup for a propane service.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Really no need for both types of gas, I only see one or the other in a home (not counting the occasional BBQ hook-up). The gas appliance needs to be factory set up or field converted for either type of gas (different orifice or nozzle).

Photo 1 shows a regulator with a remote vent pipe, pretty standard setup for a propane service.

Dom.

thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!! Greatly appreciated!! Is there anything specific maintenance wise or anything I should tell them? I can't find anything online really specific for how to maintain it properly

Around here, you don't own the underground tank tank, you lease them. Have it checked or tested by the gas company when taking ownership.

Otherwise, they need regular maintenance on the gas appliances as usual, no matter the type (NPG or LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Around here, you don't own the underground tank tank, you lease them. Have it checked or tested by the gas company when taking ownership.

Otherwise, they need regular maintenance on the gas appliances as usual, no matter the type (NPG or LPG)

yea the client said they are renting theirs so I will be sure to let them know thanks

Did you check the direction of flow? There is a cast-in-place arrow which shows the direction of gas flow, the regulator needs to be installed in the correct orientation (direction of flow) to operate properly.

I ask because my recollection is that the vent is always on the outlet side direction of flow, not the inlet side direction of flow, for most of the regulators I see and have seen, such as is shown in these installation instructions: http://www.maxitrol.com/Literature/F...3577d3ef7f.pdf (page 17 shows a cut-a-way view and shows the vent on the outlet side direction of flow.

Which brings up this question: Is that regulator supplied by the piping from the building, or is it supplied by what looks to be a higher pressure line coming up from underground from the tank? You want to make sure which is the supply end before verifying the direction of flow and direction of flow arrow.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Underground tanks can be filled to 90% of capacity, while above ground tanks are 80% of capacity. Most water heaters come in either LP or natural gas. Most furnaces are delivered set up for nat gas and have a conversion kit for LP. In the kit is a sticker that the installer should place on the furnace as evidence of conversion. However, I sometimes see where the installer documented the conversion with a felt pen on the furnace. In any case, proof of conversion must be visible. I often write up "no evidence of conversion to LP", even when I am reasonably confident from the flame appearance that the conversion was done.

Around here, in summer time, open the valve hoods with caution because there is a 90% chance of finding a wasp nest.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

It appears the underground propane tank feeds the regulator at the building, by the copper out of the tank and the copper into the regulator. Not sure of the sizing going on there.

Something else to include is the (exterior) ABS must be painted.

thanks a ton guys really informative!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

I ask because my recollection is that the vent is always on the outlet side direction of flow, not the inlet side direction of flow, for most of the regulators I see and have seen,.
    For what it is worth, I checked the regulator on my spa heater and the vent is on the supply side, not the appliance side.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Scheuerer View Post
    Hey guys. I came across this Home with an underground propane tank. My question is do some homes have both propane and gas or is it just one or the other. The water heater had a "propane" sticker on it but the furnaces didn't. I found this shutoff from what looked like what I normally see a gas meter connected to but there was no gas meter. Is this for the propane tank or am I missing something. I know this is a stupid question but I haven't done many inspections at all and haven't come across any type of propane yet
    What you have there is the UG LP tank with the 1st stage regulator (the red one)that cuts tank pressure down to 10 psi then at the building wall the green regulator cut the pressure down from 10 psi to 11 inches WC (water column) a little less than 1/2 pound. Real common here in WV.