Cory Bates Guest

Default trusses and horizantal beams??

I was in an attic today and found these beams, i have never seen this before, is this okay?? Does anybody see any issues here?? why would somebody do this? I would love the input and thoughts as to why this was done!!

DSCN5453.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: trusses and horizantal beams??

Manufactured truss systems are designed by engineers to strict specs. There will be no satisfaction for you as a home inspector in questioning the trusses themselves.

Watch for modifications or mistakes in the erection of those trusses. That is where you can gain an ounce of respect but again be careful what you say is wrong.

The trusses in your pic change direction because there is probably a wide open 'great room' below.

The OSB changes direction as well. Sometimes the builder will lay the sheathing up wrong, but it should almost always be laid with the strands perpendicular to the supporting members. There might be a screw up there.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

They are called purlins. You usually see them in "pole barn" construction.

I would call for further evaluation by licensed structural engineer. I can't remember ever seeing hangers used on the top cord of a truss to support other members. Doesn't look like factory job to me.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I've seen it many times. No different than joists sitting on top of a beam or hangered to the side of it. Except the carpenter has to cut to an exact length

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I would call for further evaluation by licensed structural engineer. I can't remember ever seeing hangers used on the top cord of a truss to support other members. Doesn't look like factory job to me.
    I agree - trusses are not permitted to be altered in any way, and unless the truss engineering shows that configuration ... it's a no-no.

I'd want to see the truss engineering or have a structural engineer say it's okay.

Except I would call it out without using "further evaluation".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm guessing the off framing is partially due to being modular construction. The purling framing is odd, by not necessarily wrong. If there is no sagging, movement, structural distress, you could tell your client that it is unusual and that you cannot determine if it is correct. If you want to recommend a structural engineer for CYA, you could.

Knock out to accommodate a future dormer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Bates View Post
    I was in an attic today and found these beams, i have never seen this before, is this okay?? Does anybody see any issues here?? why would somebody do this? I would love the input and thoughts as to why this was done!!

DSCN5453.jpg
    Questionably odd, that the 2x6 purlins are connected to the (2x4) top cords of the girder truss assembly with face mount 2x6 joist hangers. Unable to support with fasteners as manufacturer of hangers suggests, especially odd, seeings how those connections are taking half the load of the span. Based solely on the picture, venting may be an issue also.