Vince Santos Guest

Default Streamlight Ultra Stinger

After three years of use my Ultra Stinger #170568 bulb burned out. Anyone know where I can purchase a replacement bulb online?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Streamlight Ultra Stinger

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Vince,
    Not sure why you need to buy the bulb on-line, but anyway......

Check in your area for a police/military supply stores. They have all kinds of stuff we use everyday.

JF

Tim Moreira Guest

You should have a spare in the tail cap, unless you just used the spare and now you want to replace it

Tim,

The Ultra Stinger doesn't have a spare in the tailcap.

Dom.

Vince Santos Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Moreira View Post
    You should have a spare in the tail cap, unless you just used the spare and now you want to replace it

You sure? I don't have the light with me right now but I thought the cap would not be large enough to carry a spare. That would be cool if I do have one in the cap though, thanks. If not I will use that site John posted.

Jack, I don't have the time to search around for a replacement bulb and find it easier to buy these types of things online.

Tim Moreira Guest

Dom,

Well what do ya know. You're absolutely correct.

I have three different Stingers, the smallest one (Streamlight Stinger xt) that is a little bigger than a little mag lite 7 1/2" long, has one in the tail cap becasue I already had to use it.

I *assumed* and guess what happens when we do that!!!

My bad, I'm sorry. I'll retreat to my corner now.

Vince Santos Guest

Thanks for the link Jack, picked up three of them. I suppose that should do me for the next 8 or so years.

Vince,
    do you have Batteries Plus.. store in your area? I get the bulbs and lights from there. Price about the same as internet sources with shipping.

Rick

After 5 years of daily use, my bulb is still going strong. Even the batteries have been charged every night and haven't failed me yet. Streamlights are great.

Vince Santos Guest

Red face Re: Streamlight Ultra Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    After 5 years of daily use, my bulb is still going strong. Even the batteries have been charged every night and haven't failed me yet. Streamlights are great.
    I thought it was strange that my bulb went out like that. Perhaps using it as a hammer was a bad idea after all...

BTW
    That AV is great!

Kevin McMahon Guest

off topic but do you guys keep your stinger on a continuous charge? I just got mine a couple of weeks ago so I have been keeping it on the charger until needed....

Strange about the stinger...when the battery drains...it just dies. Mine was working full power and then nothing....charged it and it works fine. thought it would just dim like normal flashlights when the battery was low...worried me as I thought the bulb went on it....thought I bought a $100 POS.

Scott Olsen Guest

Hi Kevin,

Both of mine dim before completely dying but the process is about 30 seconds to a minute. Once it starts to dim I usually go get the other one.

Kevin Luce Guest

I have to go off the subject for a second.

Rich Hurst, is there a different picture you can pick? This one is a little hard to look at.

If this is really you, your looking good.

I buy the bulbs at a local battery shop. I think they are around $6 and I always buy two at a time and keep the spare in my truck. They give little warning when they go out. I just replaced the battery pack in my Ultra, it cost $26 at the local battery shop.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mike Huppi Guest

I have seen them on ebay I get mine local in portland oregon for under $6.00. I go through one every 50 hrs or so.

I buy at least 6 at a time so I dont have to worry.

It is a great flashlight.

I saw one of the new lithium that stream light came out with and it is very good but I will wait untill they have on that is just a little bit more powerful.

I have had a switch go out and had the lens replaced once due to scratches.

Smile Re: Streamlight Ultra Stinger

Here's a link for one on e bay. Hope it helps.
    eBay Express: STREAMLIGHT 78914 BULB FOR ULTRA STINGER ULTRASTINGER - Description
    Jeff G

How much run time does everyone get? Mine died today in the back side of the crawl. Fortunately I was wearing my cap with the led light so I could see how to get back to the access.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Tim Moreira Guest

Mine died today in the back side of the crawl
    Isn't that always the case Mine usually goes in the very back of the attic. That is why I always carry more than one.

I have a little stinger that sits on my belt for just that occasion.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Once the battery starts to dim, it's best to put it away and get the backup light. Continuing to use it with a low battery shortens the future run time and will prevent it from obtaining a full charge.

My UltraStinger bulbs die a couple times a year per light. Then it's a short trip to the Streamlight factory service dept. for a free fixup. I have two Ultra Stingers and keep a Strion for a backup in my bag.

Louie Hoehn Guest

Hey Vince, you can Google ultra stinger and find all kinds of bulbs and accessories, here is a lint to the ultra stinger bulb, I hope this is the one you need....Bulbs

Vince Santos Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Hoehn View Post
    Hey Vince, you can Google ultra stinger and find all kinds of bulbs and accessories, here is a lint to the ultra stinger bulb, I hope this is the one you need....Bulbs
    That's a great price!
    I already picked up three for eight bucks each though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Santos View Post
    After three years of use my Ultra Stinger #170568 bulb burned out. Anyone know where I can purchase a replacement bulb online?

Thanks
    I bought a spare from Streamlight Flashlights - www.streamlight-flashlights.com from Streamlight-Flashlights.com
    $7.95 + $8.00 shipping. I needed a spare ring holder so I threw in a bulb.
    Resonable service.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I have both a Stinger and a Maglite... both are the basic 3 D cell size. I mostly use the mag and go through about a bulb every 6 months. I've never lost one in the Stinger. My biz partner uses a Stinger and I think has only lost one bulb in the last 5+ years.

It's strange that for two flashlights that put out basically the same light one goes through bulbs so much faster. The mag is very prone to blowing a bulb if it's dropped onto something hard. I've lost several by losing my light off my belt while heading into an attic.

I've always wondered why there is such a difference. In any case, both are great lights. This is probably the single best tool I have. I just love it every once in awhile when a buyer comes into a crawl space with me armed with his Acme red plastic flashlight. I think the glow off my cell phone has more candle power.

Brian Cooper Guest

Myabe I'm lucky, but my 10 year old Maglite still has it's original bulb.

Is the Streamlight brighter than the Maglite? I'd hate to spend $100 for a light that is just as bright as my old Maglite.

I think that the Ultra Stinger has a CP rating of 70,000 and the Maglite has a CP around 40,000.

Once you use an Ultra Stinger you won't be able to go back to a Maglite. If you shop around you can find bulbs for around $5. I buy them at a local Battery Plus store. I go through about one bulb a year, some times they last a little longer. I always keep a spare in the truck.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I use the Ultra Stinger myself. Used the Maglite's for years, but switched to the Streamlight after seeing how much brighter and lighter it was.

Every time I walked through a hardware store though, I have to stop and look at the flashlights. Some kind of addiction I quess.

rick

I'm right there with you Rick, I have to check out all the lights, ladders, etc. and USUALLY talk myself out of a purchase, but you never know...
    My only trouble with the Ultra Stinger is that it is TOO bright when trying to highlight a slight crack in sheetrock or read a label in an attic. Sometimes it just washes everything out.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I got me one of them SureFire G2 flashlights that Jerry Peck mentioned a while back - as a back-up. That is a nice little flashlight. The lithium batteries are supposed to have a 10 year shelf life, too.
    G2® Nitrolon® Flashlight available in Black, Green, Yellow and Tan from SureFire

Vince Santos Guest

Angry Re: Streamlight Ultra Stinger

Believe it or not I've actually burned up all three bulbs already. I dn't know if I'm just rough on my flashlight or what but three bulbs in just over a year seems a little much to me.

Vince,

I picked up one of these at Sears.

Supposed to have a forever bulb.

AC & DC charger included.

220 Lumens Light output.

Small Surefire's rated at 65 lumens

On the rack price of $49.95

http:Dorcy International - Flashlights, LED Flashlights, Flashlight Batteries, Flashlight Bulbs

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Vince,

I picked up one of these at Sears.

Supposed to have a forever bulb.

AC & DC charger included.

220 Lumens Light output.

Small Surefire's rated at 65 lumens

On the rack price of $49.95

http:Dorcy International - Flashlights, LED Flashlights, Flashlight Batteries, Flashlight Bulbs
    I didn't see any dimensions on the Dorcy, but it weighs four times what the Surefire G2 weighs. I'm not suggesting the G2 as a primary flashlight. It's so small you can put it in your pocket and forget about it until you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I didn't see any dimensions on the Dorcy, but it weighs four times what the Surefire G2 weighs. I'm not suggesting the G2 as a primary flashlight. It's so small you can put it in your pocket and forget about it until you need it.
    John,
    Dorcy is a little less than 9 inches long.

I've had a Surefire G2 for several years nice little light ( they get very hot in continuous use) be careful which pocket you stick it in. About 45 minutes run time then $8 to $9 bucks to replace the battery's.

Shelf life on the Surefire CR123A battery is great. I keep the G2 on a spare ammo belt for my house gun.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post

I carry the Surefire G2 wherever I go.

I found that they are too large for the standard 'small' flashlight holders, and too small of larger ones, but that a 9 mm clip holder works perfectly.

I carry a double one similar to the D407 ( Don Hume Magazine Holders ), holds my use-for-anything-utility tool ( NEW Schrade ST1N 21 Function Multi Tool Knife CLEARANCE - eBay (item 140252270311 end time Jul-30-08 23:11:40 PDT) )and the Surefire G2 flashlight.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

I use a Maglite LED flashlight. Been on the same two D cells for 2 months with no problems.

James, I have been looking at the LED conversion bulbs to use my old mag lights as a backup to the Ultra Stinger. Have you ever compared the light output of the LED to the regular mag or to the Ultra Stinger?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

James Duffin Guest

Yes....it is not as bright but is more than adaquate for my use.

Brian Thomas Guest

Its kind of odd that streamlights tell you to keep it on continuous charge and dont let it run down all the way because it will shorten battery life. Yet, most other devices that use rechargeable batteries(cell phone, cordless drills etc.) tell you to run the battery down as low as you can before you recharge it again to avoid shortening the life.

I guess it just must be the type of battery that these devices use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    Its kind of odd that streamlights tell you to keep it on continuous charge and dont let it run down all the way because it will shorten battery life. Yet, most other devices that use rechargeable batteries(cell phone, cordless drills etc.) tell you to run the battery down as low as you can before you recharge it again to avoid shortening the life.

I guess it just must be the type of battery that these devices use.
    From what I understand, the deep discharge advice is old news for old technology batteries, not for newer technology batteries.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

James Duffin Guest

Update...still on the same two D cells in use on 7/31. I have about 70 inspections on these batteries with the LED bulb.

If you turn on your Stinger too soon after taking it out of the charger, it will seriously shorten the life of the bulb. Give it a few minutes or more and your bulbs will last a long time.

Brian Thomas Guest

I havent heard that one before matthew but I will give it a try

I have a rechargeable Mag-lite, an D cell battery LED Mag-lite and an Ultra-Stinger.

The Ultra is my preferred weapon of choice for my tool belt. Can see the deepest corners of the attic with it and can do three inspections in a day without it going dim. I do use the LED for crawlspaces. The light is more white/blue that takes some getting use to. The reason I use it instead of the Ultra is that when the Ultra give out it goes quick. The LED goes on forever but I still change out the batteries every 3 months.

The rechargeable Mag-Lite? Its been relegated to back-up status. If I break the Ultra or it gets borrowed and not returned (happened last June :-(( I pull out the rechargeable. Its still nice and bright but its a heavy weight makes it less desirable.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956