Chris Taylor Guest

Default Door between the house and garage?

I'm new to this site and need to see if I can get some help with a problem which I'm having.

On the door between the house and garage what passes? I know what the 2006 IRC 309.1 says, but still have questions.

What is a 1-3/8" solid core wood door(like the code states)? Is a 6 panel pine acceptable, what about a solid core 6 panel 1-3/8" masonite? Or is it saying that the door needs to be a 1-3/8" solid core birch with no panels.

HELP!!!!!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Door between the house and garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    I'm new to this site and need to see if I can get some help with a problem which I'm having.

On the door between the house and garage what passes? I know what the 2006 IRC 309.1 says, but still have questions.

What is a 1-3/8" solid core wood door(like the code states)? Is a 6 panel pine acceptable, what about a solid core 6 panel 1-3/8" masonite? Or is it saying that the door needs to be a 1-3/8" solid core birch with no panels.

HELP!!!!!
    Right. No panels. If it's a wood door, the entire thing has to be at least 1-3/8.

Chris Taylor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Right. No panels. If it's a wood door, the entire thing has to be at least 1-3/8.

So in your opinion would you say that a 1-3/8" solid core birch or solid core hardboard would be the only door to pass? Also, if I understand correctly even a 1-3/4" 6 panel door wouldn't pass because where the panles join the door is also less that 1-3/8"...Right.

Right

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Right
    WC Jerry,

What say you about the difference between "solid wood" and "solid core"?

I'm pondering it as though there might not be a difference, but then, right there it is in the code and the commentary ...

The code and the commentary specifically mention "solid or ... core" when referencing steel doors, yet specifically *only* mention "solid wood" when referencing wood doors.

And a "solid core" door *is not* a "solid wood" door.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    So in your opinion would you say that a 1-3/8" solid core birch or solid core hardboard would be the only door to pass? Also, if I understand correctly even a 1-3/4" 6 panel door wouldn't pass because where the panles join the door is also less that 1-3/8"...Right.
    Chris,

As WC Jerry said: "Right."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

2006 IRC - 309.1 Opening protection: Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8 inches in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 1-3/8 inches thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.
    No mention of species, just solid wood.
    But what does "solid wood" mean? Could it be solid like a solid glu-lam beam?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    No mention of species, just solid wood.
    But what does "solid wood" mean? Could it be solid like a solid glu-lam beam?
    Jim,

At least that would be better than those particle board core "solid core" doors. Notice that even the manufacturers do not call them "solid wood", they call them "solid core".

I wonder what the flame spread and smoke developed ratings for the adhesive for those particle board cores is? I wonder how close they actually come to performing as a "solid wood" door would perform?

I can imagine a fire burning off one skin and then the "solid core" falls out. Some of those doors are made very cheaply. Or the bottom rail falls out, allowing smoke and fire to pass through.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just a suggestion, if your unsure, buy a 20 minute rated door.

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer