Thread: double flues

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default double flues

this is a condo with a fireplace at the 1st and second floor. each belongs to a different unit, but share the chimney where each flue is run. Is their a problem with these each being so close?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

jackie peeks Guest

Smile Re: double flues

The only place you would run into a problem is if the units were draft assisted unit or direct vent units meaning they pulled air from outside,if they have gas logs or burn wood the flues being close should not be an issue

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default Re: double flues

gracias

Jerome,

Depends.

Depends on what the fireplace fuel is.

Basically, let's presume the fireplaces gas, then those are vents, and vents for fireplaces fall under:

From the 2004 FBC-R.
    - SECTION M1805
    - - MASONRY AND FACTORY-BUILT CHIMNEYS
    - - - M1805.1 General.
    - - - - Masonry and factory-built chimneys shall be built and installed in accordance with Sections R1001 and R1002, respectively. Flue lining for masonry chimneys shall comply with Section R1001.8.

- SECTION R1002
    - - FACTORY-BUILT CHIMNEYS
    - - - R1002.1 Listing.
    - - - - Factory-built chimneys shall be listed and labeled and shall be installed and terminated in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

The latter above may well be the 1-2/8 rule for gas vents: 1 foot high minimum, 2 feet higher than a vertical obstruction within 8 feet.

How close it that other roof and how high in relation to these chimneys?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

my understanding has always been that they should have been staggered in height - one over the other. Since smoke rises.

unless they are gas venting units then it should be ok.

As long as both chimneys are buring the same fuel type and are properly installed it should be ok

or am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Laurieri View Post
    my understanding has always been that they should have been staggered in height - one over the other.
    I believe it was Bob Harper (when he was posting here) or Dale Feb who pointed out that one (if gas) should be higher than the other (if solid fuel). Or maybe I have that backward.

unless they are gas venting units then it should be ok.

As long as both chimneys are buring the same fuel type and are properly installed it should be ok
    I believe that is correct.

If they are both the same fuel, putting one higher than the other just means the other now needs to go higher than the first, will not take long to get those real high and still accomplish nothing.

Not sure if there is a minimum spacing between them as gas vents, only that there is a minimum height about the roof and a minimum distance to a vertical obstruction like a wall.

Maybe Dale will check in here and verify the requirements for installation like this. I know Bob lurks now and then, but is no longer posting here so I doubt he will answer the question.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com