Default Photo of T&P releasing steam / hot water

I tried searching for it but could not find it - someone posted a photo of a T&P releasing steam / hot water on a house next door, I think it was Richard Rushing or Richard Stanley, but not sure of that either.

I am trying to get a concise answer from A. O. Smith on allowing water heaters to set down into the drain pan with water in the drain pan.

They have acknowledged that that is not good, that none of their water heaters should be setting in water.

Then I addressed, as shown in their photo, T&P valves discharging into the drain pan, both for testing and for 'releasing and going off'.

Their latest response is: "When opening the relief valve, it should be closed back quickly. There should not be very much water. The water should drain out of the pan quickly and any residual water should be dried with a towel. Otherwise there could be rusting of the bottom of the unit."

I want to show them that there is more than a "should not be very much water". I've already showed them photos of the water being 1" deep below the drain outlet after the water stops draining out - I guess that is the water which "should be dried with a towel"?

Anyway, if anyone has a photo of a T&P discharging, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Photo of T&P releasing steam / hot water

Jerry, I think that photo was posted by Rick Hurst in a thread with a title something along the lines of "Almost Got Me".

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Thank you Nick. That's the one I was trying to find.

This is what got me in A. O. Smith's response "Otherwise there could be rusting of the bottom of the unit." - DUH! Why to heck do you think I've been trying to get a straight answer from you guys and gals - do you or do you not allow them to be installed where they can set in water, i.e., be partially submerged!

The answers I am getting are beating around that bush - I suspect they never considered that "water" would actually get in a drain pan intended to collect "water"?

Now that it's been pointed out, I wonder what they will do?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Now that it's been pointed out, I wonder what they will do?

Include an extra towel in the box with a revised Instruction sheet outlining the procedure for removing the water?