Thread: What is this

mathew stouffer Guest

Default What is this

Any ideas what this device is. Came out of the wall attached to a drain line.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What is this

It's an automatic trap primer, with what looks like a water hammer arrestor on one end.

And it needs an air gap to prevent a cross connection.

The piece on the end may be a water hammer arrestor, although it does not look like the ones I've seen, looks more like a stub out piece which would get the end cut off and a valve or something else attached to the end.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I've an idea that is a flow-through trap primer improperly installed as a dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    And it needs an air gap to prevent a cross connection.

The piece on the end may be a water hammer arrestor, although it does not look like the ones I've seen, looks more like a stub out piece which would get the end cut off and a valve or something else attached to the end.
    I agree it appears to be a stubout dead end.

However, these union types have to have the pin removed when soldering then replaced after installation, doubt this was done. As a dead end it compromises the potable water supply.

I disagree regarding what you said about airgap. When the pin is replaced it has a break/vacuum. But as pictured its not right for several reasons.

These must be installed horizontally on a horizontal cold water line with through capacity, at LEAST 12 inches above the drain or trap that they service, which this is obviously NOT, therefore, it again jepordizes the potable water supply with this straw outlet into the drain and the device and supply being so close to the rim (not at least 12 inches above.

It shouldn't be "strawed" down into the drain like it is, it should be via a proper port on the dry side of the trap and it should NEVER have an outlet if it has been installed as a dead end, it must be installed flow-through at a FREQUENTLY used cold water line (water frequently flows through).

Such a device must be located and fed by a line at least 12" above the flood rim of a stack, pan, fixture, or 12" above the floor in the case of outlet to a trap for a floor drain. It also must be in a "serviceable location".

As pictured it is improperly installed on many levels, is a plumbing defect and a health hazard.

Don't know from the photo the manufacturer, following are links to specifications for a modern Watts A200S and a Smith 2699

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/01012.pdf

http://www.jrsmith.com/products/floo...ttal/d2699.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    As a dead end it compromises the potable water supply.
    Quite correct and I missed thinking dead end when I looked at that stub out (which creates an intentional, put intended-to-be-temporary, dead end).

I disagree regarding what you said about airgap. When the pin is replaced it has a break/vacuum. But as pictured its not right for several reasons.
    Upon closer viewing I see the air ports, which Watts refers to as "Built in air gap".

Agreed on all other points.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    Regarding the air gap, you are assuming that the flex hose is submerged into the water of the drain (it may not be). So, doesn't necessarily need an 'air gap'.

Bob

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dalga View Post
    Jerry,
    Regarding the air gap, you are assuming that the flex hose is submerged into the water of the drain (it may not be). So, doesn't necessarily need an 'air gap'.

Bob
    Bob,

Making no assumption simply seeing that the hose enters below the flood level rim of the waste receptacle ... without regard to how high or how low the water level is, that does not matter, what matters is that it *COULD* fill to the overflow rim of the receptor.

A proper air gap is 2 times the diameter of the discharging line, i.e., a 3/4" discharge requires a minimum 1-1/2" air gap ... or a listed air gap device, which (in this case) is provide for in that trap primer valve ... IF that trap primer valve had been installed correctly, and as H.G. pointed out - that is designed to only be installed and used with a through-flowing water supply ...making the entire installation incorrect.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Good thread, I learned something! Great input HG! That made everything clear. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    Good thread, I learned something! Great input HG! That made everything clear. Thanks!
    Thank you Michael, but I cannot take all the credit; it was a group effort.

We do our best to build upon the contributions to find the best, accurate, factual and most complete response. If my own contribution was successful in that regard, I am gratified.