Default Electrical entrence on roof

Hi,

I came across an electrical entrance that was installed on the roof, going under a roof balcony. it is a contractor who renovated the building and I am not familiar with those kind of installation. I wanted to know is it safe?

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Electrical entrence on roof

Was there a service disconnect on the exterior anywhere? Where on the interior was the panel board located and how far does the SEC travel through the interior of the building before reaching the panel board?

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Was there a service disconnect on the exterior anywhere? Where on the interior was the panel board located and how far does the SEC travel through the interior of the building before reaching the panel board?
    Hello John,
    There was no service disconnect on the exterior, the panel board was located on the last floor of the building and the SEC was traveling about 10 to 12 feet before reaching the panel board.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Smith View Post
    Hello John,
    There was no service disconnect on the exterior, the panel board was located on the last floor of the building and the SEC was traveling about 10 to 12 feet before reaching the panel board.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure if the exterior routing across the roof is ok or not. However, the SEC should not travel the distance you listed without having a disconnect before it enters the building. And when a disconnect is on the exterior, the panel board then becomes a sub panel and the equipment grounds and neutrals should be separated. They should only be bonded at the exterior main disconnect.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure if the exterior routing across the roof is ok or not. However, the SEC should not travel the distance you listed without having a disconnect before it enters the building. And when a disconnect is on the exterior, the panel board then becomes a sub panel and the equipment grounds and neutrals should be separated. They should only be bonded at the exterior main disconnect.
    Great info, thanks a lot!

Where was the actual connection at the meter? Did it come up the wall and over the roof?

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

I disagree. The SEC are in conduit. There is no distance limitations until it actually enters the house. The photos don't show any problems with the service.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Those look more like a feeder or branch circuit instead of a service.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I disagree. The SEC are in conduit. There is no distance limitations until it actually enters the house. The photos don't show any problems with the service.
    My point was about the distance of SEC run on the inside of the building. I think you misunderstood what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    And it entered the hose as soon as it crossed under that deck. From that point on, the disconnect is required to be located 'close to the point of entrance' of the service entrance conductors, i.e., 'close to the point where it goes under the deck'.

Also, the conductors in those conduits need to be derated for being in conduit and on a roof.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com