Default Refrigerant leak detection?

Should I use any refrigerant leak detection system on my standard home inspection? I am curious if anyone here uses it, what model and what are some of the pitfalls if I chose to add this check point?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Hi Dustin Zick and welcome to InspectionNews!

I hope you find everything you are looking for on this site.

If I can help you in any way just let me know.

If you are a business owner please accept this gift for making your first post: http://www.inspectionreferral.com

If you are a home buyer, seller or DIYer, this gift is for you: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-i...als/member.php

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Refrigerant leak detection?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zick View Post
    Should I use any refrigerant leak detection system on my standard home inspection? I am curious if anyone here uses it, what model and what are some of the pitfalls if I chose to add this check point?
    Leak detection/ location should be referred to an HVAC contractor.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zick View Post
    Hi Dustin, welcome.
    Refrigerant leak detection is beyond the scope of a normal home inspection.
    But you can add whatever you want as long as your local authorities permit you to do so in a home inspection.

I would however be careful how you market this since finding leaks, finding ALL leaks, and proving there are no leaks are very different and could easily add several hours to an inspection with very little benefit to the client.

Are you trained and proficient?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

New refrigerant is R410 Puron, old refrigerant is R22 Freon.

Freon use is no longer permitted, but there are still old units around which contain it.

Freon vs. Puron

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    New refrigerant is R410 Puron, old refrigerant is R22 Freon.

Freon use is no longer permitted, but there are still old units around which contain it.

Freon vs. Puron
    R22 can still be and still is sold. R-22 can no longer be manufactured and the cost to buy it will clean your sinuses due to taxes imposed by the Fed Gov.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Hi Dustin, welcome.
    Refrigerant leak detection is beyond the scope of a normal home inspection.
    But you can add whatever you want as long as your local authorities permit you to do so in a home inspection.

I would however be careful how you market this since finding leaks, finding ALL leaks, and proving there are no leaks are very different and could easily add several hours to an inspection with very little benefit to the client.

Are you trained and proficient?
    I believe Puron is a Carrier trademark for R410. Freon is also a trademark. Probably better to stick with R410, R-22, or just refrigerant.

I think you need to look at what you are doing in a different way - you are there to test systems not diagnose and repair. You test to see if it is working as should or not - so either the AC cools or it does not or if it appears weak you recommend an HVAC professional look at the system. Trust me if the system has a leak it is either empty or was just topped off

Also this type of thing opens you up to all sorts of liability and expectations - you are there to inspect not repair and you should not do the repairs if you are the inspector. Keep your position very clear with your clients as an inspector .

- - - Updated - - -

I think you need to look at what you are doing in a different way - you are there to test systems not diagnose and repair. You test to see if it is working as should or not - so either the AC cools or it does not or if it appears weak you recommend an HVAC professional look at the system. Trust me if the system has a leak it is either empty or was just topped off

Also this type of thing opens you up to all sorts of liability and expectations - you are there to inspect not repair and you should not do the repairs if you are the inspector. Keep your position very clear with your clients as an inspector .

- - - Updated - - -