Matthew Liang Guest

Default What kind of vehicle is appropriate for my Home Inspection business?

Hello everyone.

I am almost ready to start my home inspection business. I am currently driving a Ford Taurus SE for family use. I need a vehicle for home inspection bussiness.

What kind of vehicle is appropriate for the Home Inspection business? My biggest concern is the safety issue to carry a ladder on the top. An vehicle with a lower top is good for me because I am not tall man.

What is the safety requirement for carrying a ladder on the roof?
    Is a Ford Focus okay ?
    How about a Dodge Caravan ?
    Is it possible to use my Ford Taurus plus a rack on the top?

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Matthew.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Stephen G Guest

Default Re: What kind of vehicle is appropriate for my Home Inspection business?

I used to drag my 24' ladder around on top of my truck. I stopped doing that. I am now using my Little Giant. It fits inside my truck and stays dry. I will do the roof after the inside if its raining, so as not to bring a soakin wet ladder in the home.
    I have an Avalanche and its probably the worst vehicle for fuel consumption. This is the Clubman. My ladder should fit. But gas and comfort for those long trips are key. Gas gas gas.....Maybe next year

Default Re: What kind of vehicle is appropriate for my Home Inspection business?

I think that there is a significant advantage to a vehicle that's large enough to keep all of your equipment inside. Most homeowners will not like your bringing in a ladder that was out in the snow and salt.

Also, avoid anything that is rusting. Keeping a clean vehicle makes a favorable impression. Driving a filthy car (inside and / or out) also makes an impression.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Matthew Liang Guest

Thank you very much, Stephen and Eric.

I love the idea to put everything inside the vehicle. However I am wondering what kind of ladder can be tall enough for roof inspection and can be put inside of the vehicle. Could you please give me a general idea about the height of the ladder and what kind of vehicle can do the job?

Thanks again.

Bob uses an old Volvo station wagon for his inspections; he has a folding 17' ladder that stores neatly in the back along with all his other tools. I'm about to start outfitting my Safari van to be my inspection vehicle; not the best in mileage but it's the right color (green) and it's paid for. I plan to get a Little Giant as well; Bob uses a Werner and it's just too heavy for me to handle. We're waiting for the next home show to come around so we can buy it.
    The customer's perception of your vehicle is important. Make sure you spend the money on good signage; preferably not removable magnetic signs. Permanent vinyl lettering sends the message that you are a legitimate business. The vehicle should be clean and in good repair; keep it tuned and run it through the car wash on a regular basis.
    We have a picture on our web site of Bob standing by his vehicle, so we can let clients know exactly what kind of car to expect (as if the signage wasn't enough of a tip-off).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

There are lots of different vehicles from Mini Coopers to Super Duty pickups in use. I drove a Scion Xb for over 5 years and was one of the easiest and most versatile vehicles ever and great on gas. I could carry my large little giant ladders on top (if needed) and keep my smaller werner ladder inside.

Some of it depends on the homes in your area and your level of comfort with roofs. Beyond the ladder, almost any vehicle will do the trick but I agree that impression to the customer is a big thing. No matter the vehicle type, your vehicle choice says something to your customer about you, keep it professional.

By the way I'm in a 4-door F-150 now; a big change from my little box. A big change in fuel cost too!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I drive a Subaru Outback with a 28' ladder on the factory roof rack. No problems.
    I have a 12' folding ladder in the back.

If you're concerned about appearances, i.e., you want to look like a home inspector, whatever that means, I would say that the best vehicle to use is the one your clients see you drive away in after providing them with a great home inspection. Within reason, of course. Not an old clunker with smoke pouring out of the tailpipe. But you don't necessarily need a fancy pick-up or giant SUV, either.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I drive a Wagon with a rack for the most part. Don't need the rack much though. if its a big house and I need the big ladders I drive my truck. Wagons and SUV's seem to be pretty standard. A few guys I've seen and know drive pickups.
    As far as appearance think about your client base. 'Normal' folks don't care all that much from my experience. If you are doing high end that can be a different story.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

This is my ride.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I think your putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

You should decide what kind of ladder is necessary to safety and competently complete your inspections, in your specific region. Are the homes mostly 2 and 3 story? Are they ranch homes? Row houses? Are you capable of handling a large extension ladder?

Find out what the inspectors in your area use, and why.

Then buy a vehicle that fits your business needs.

I used to drive a Plymouth Voyager mini van. It worked great, kept everything out of the weather and got descent mileage.

When it was time for a new vehicle my wife was driving a Honda Odyssey and there was no need to have two mini vans. I picked up an extended cab Ford Ranger, put a cover on the back and a ladder rack. My tool box goes in the extended cab, Little Giant in the bed and a 24 foot extension ladder rides on top (for the occasional commercial building). It works fine, but not as well as the mini van.

Prior to having the pickup nobody said anything about me driving a mini van. Once I started driving the pickup I've had many comments basically stating that clients expect someone who knows a lot about houses to be driving a pickup. Stereotyping I guess. But driving a pickup increases your perceived knowledge.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Michael Civisca Guest

Matthew, with regard to ladder options for your vehicle, investigate the telescoping ladders from Xtends. I use the 15.5 foot length. It weighs about 25 pounds and I find it quite versatile and easy to store. There are shorter and longer length ladders available. I decided on the ladder when I was outfitting my Chrysler Pacifica.

Don has the correct approach.

--Define what you want to do now and potentially in the future.
    --Determine what you need to accomplish the tasks defined without making it difficult for yourself.
    --Test your tool decision by using them. Take a ladder for a walk around the outside of the building. You will then know if you can handle it on the job. Then raise it up to see how hard it is to handle. I have a 40ft 1AA alum ladder given to me that takes two people to use due to weight. Can do by myself but just not worth the strain.
    --Is the vehicle going to be used for more than HIs?
    --Gas/fuel economy is secondary to task performance

Do not restrict your performance by not having the ability to take a 34ft ladder to get to the roof.

Side note;
    And I did notice an increase in intelligence, experience and ability moving up from a F-150 to an F-250 diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I picked up an extended cab Ford Ranger, put a cover on the back and a ladder rack. My tool box goes in the extended cab, Little Giant in the bed and a 24 foot extension ladder rides on top (for the occasional commercial building). It works fine, but not as well as the mini van.

Prior to having the pickup nobody said anything about me driving a mini van. Once I started driving the pickup I've had many comments basically stating that clients expect someone who knows a lot about houses to be driving a pickup. Stereotyping I guess. But driving a pickup increases your perceived knowledge.
    Something like this?

For the truck rack to work, you need the low roof canopy. My Telesteps goes behind the seat, stays clean for inside. My folding Jaws goes in the back, along with a stepladder that's my portable desk. You need the 28' extension ladder for townhouses, and hardiplank haciendas on postage stamp lots. Everything else, a 15' folding ladder will do.

I feel safer going two storeys up from the ground than perching a collapsing toy ladder on a slimy balcony. The ladder on the roof says I'm professional, ready for anything you got.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

A thought and a word of caution.

Many of the roof racks that are being put on vehicles are cosmetic and have no carrying function.

They may list it as a roof rack, but ask about real function.

Motorbike | Tanzeelism

To eliminate the "unpleasant sound", attach a wheel.

www.allsafehome.ca

Darrel Hood Guest

I call my telescoping ladder "my $20,000 ladder". Because of it, I have operated from my Hyundai Elantra instead of buying a truck just to carry a ladder. It is the best $300 decision I made when I started this company. Other folks don't like the telescoping ladders, but I swear by it.

Bam...

I think the car/truck/van you use depends on the types of inspections you do. For me I use my wife's Nissan Versa that gets 36 mpg for my commercial and consulting work that I might need to drive a couple of hours for and I do not need a bunch of tools or my ladder.
    For my normal home inspections and residential draw inspection work I really need my F150 that has a good ground clearance as I do a good number of homes in rural areas and homes that are under construction that have crushed rock for the drives with ruts that would eat a car with low clearance.

The F150 is about ready to retire and become my 15 year old sons truck, with 280,000 miles on it I just do not trust it like I use to on my longer inspection trips. I have not decided what I'm going to get but even with 15-20 mpg the pick-up is just going to be hard to beat for comfort, reliability and overall durability when it comes to what I need it for. The Ford Escape, another F-150 are on my list and so is the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Gas millage is not all that it is cracked up to be when you are 6'2" and 265lbs; comfort takes more priority for me especially when you look at the miles I/we drive.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Oh man, I was hoping to be the first to do something goofy! Marc's is better than mine!

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Oh man, I was hoping to be the first to do something goofy! Marc's is better than mine!

Radon test canisters?

One factor to keep in mind - who is going to service your vehicle and how far away are they from your home? For me the Ford SUVs and local dealer have worked exceptionally well for me. For the past 10 years I've been in an Expedition which has been a great vehicle for comfort and carrying everything.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I use a Chevy colorado pickup and carry a little giant around in it, works great for me and is good on gas.Most roofs in my area that are 2 story you can get onto off of the garage or other lower area, if not i use binoculars.

Kevin Moore
    Ameri-Inspect/RadonPro Inc
    www.Buffalo-home-inspector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    The thread was begging for it. It was hard to resist.

At some point, that guys gotta start thinking about getting a bigger scooter..

Mike Inspector Guest

here is my inspection vehicle. 2004 the telesteps fits in the front seat and my tool bag in the trunk. You should see everyones reaction when I pull up to the inspection...priceless...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Something like this?
    Similar. Mine has a tanneau cover and a ladder rack made from 1" iron pipe.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Inspector View Post
    here is my inspection vehicle. 2004 the telesteps fits in the front seat and my tool bag in the trunk. You should see everyones reaction when I pull up to the inspection...priceless...
    you're kidding right?

Mike Inspector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    you're kidding right?
    Nope. I take it to at least one inspection a week

If I drove that car, I would have a robot jump out to do the leg work.

And here's why in my area I prefer the long ladder. I might go a couple of weeks without touching it, but then I'll get a series of these. The long ladder is faster and safer for 2 storey work. I've done the perch on the garage trick. No thanks.

www.allsafehome.ca

Wow, John; you would walk a roof that steep??

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Garry Blankenship Guest

I have recreational priorities, ( fly fishing for Steelhead & Salmon ), that involve a camper, so my one vehicle for all ocaisions is a truck. One add on that I really love is a bed slide. Being able to access the forward / cab area of an 8' truck bed w/ a canopy on it and not having to crawl in is a big plus. I have a shop that I built a manual trolly / crane system into using unistrut, trolly rollers and a chain fall. It pops the canopy off, the bed slide off and I drive under the camper w/ electric jacks and push a button. That entire process is some work and a bit time consuming, ( especially w/ the unloading and reloading of contents ). However; the cost of multiple vehicle operation, ( liscenses, maint., ins. etc ), makes it worth while. Short answer; a truck with a bed slide.

Honda Element & Little Giant since 2005. Good mileage, lot of room, comfortable (I'm 6'2" 240 lbs) and never a problem. Still on the original stoppers after over 75K miles.

All my stuff stays dry and somewhat secure inside.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Wow, John; you would walk a roof that steep??
    No, as a rule, there's no need to walk a roof like those in my pics. I get up to the gutter with my ladder, take a few pics, move to another section. But the clients like to know what the gutters look like, and that is something you can't see with binocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    I have a shop that I built a manual trolly / crane system into using unistrut, trolly rollers and a chain fall. It pops the canopy off, the bed slide off and I drive under the camper w/ electric jacks and push a button. That entire process is some work and a bit time consuming, ( especially w/ the unloading and reloading of contents ). However; the cost of multiple vehicle operation, ( liscenses, maint., ins. etc ), makes it worth while. Short answer; a truck with a bed slide.
    I like the idea, and used to do something similar with rigging and and a boom when I drove a fullsize PU.

www.allsafehome.ca

I use a Subaru Forester, with a StowAway MAX Hitch Cargo Carrier #24, A 28' extension ladder and a 6' step ladder on top, a 15.5' Xtend&Climb in the cargo box and a B&R Plastics folding step-stool (mostly to access over-height electrical panels).

Works for me.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Most clients meet you for the first time at the inspection. They do not choose you based on your vehicle, unless you post pics on your website. If they are choosing you based on your vehicle, they have their priorities mixed up.

Decide what you need to carry and then choose a vehicle. I know one fella who drives a Prius but operates in a college town of liberals who prefer low carbon footprint types. Most in my area drive either small or full size pickups. The other popular choice is small SUV type things.

Of course your clients make a general overall impression of you and your business initally when they see your vehicle. Clean and relatively good visbile appearance. It may burn 3 qts of oil a day but sitting in the driveway they don't know if it is mechanically sound, only how it looks.

HGTV had a home inspector show a few years back. One fella drove his convertible porche to the inspection. Showing off for the camera. Operated in the Hamptons or someplace like that.

Currently I drive a mid-size Dodge Dakota pickup with a cap to keep my tools outta site and dry. V8 uses same fuel as full size truck. Shoulda bought a full size for about same price and fuel. No dents and paint is still shiny after 205,000 miles. Getting the tranny rebuilt next week.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Just went over 45K for my 2009 Subaru Outback. My 17' Little Giant and Xtend and Climb fit nicely in the back with a tote full of tool hidden behind tinted glass. The tint is a nice backdrop for my company name. 26-28mpg and so far only has needed 1 set of tires.

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

George Russell Guest

This is my ride.
    How are you liking it? I have been looking at those and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by George Russell View Post
    How are you liking it? I have been looking at those and really like them.
    That thing is the best inspection vehicle I have ever had. Fuel economy, versitility and just its presence (wrapped) makes a great first impression. Plus, if we tag team a structure, my guy and I have plenty of room for both (all) of our equipment.
    Wrap was only $1000 which is normally $2-3K...

George Russell Guest

That thing is the best inspection vehicle I have ever had. Fuel economy, versitility and just its presence (wrapped) makes a great first impression. Plus, if we tag team a structure, my guy and I have plenty of room for both (all) of our equipment.
    Wrap was only $1000 which is normally $2-3K...
    Did you invest in the on-board computer or the "Tool Tag"? That van comes with some really cool options!

Quote Originally Posted by George Russell View Post
    Did you invest in the on-board computer or the "Tool Tag"? That van comes with some really cool options!
    Neither...actually, when I bought this, they werent really available. There werent very many options. In fact, I had to have the rear (boxes etc...) custom made because it was so new.

This may be way of the future. Ladder location is an issue to be worked out.

Volkswagen Levitating Car

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post

Ladders won't be needed. Just put on your hover boots and pop up there and have a look. Won't even need to touch the roof.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post

Some amazing technology - - - thanks. I want to work in Volkswagon's development dept. For those days when I'm overbooked & gotta make time I turn to anoth Volkswagon product.

bugatti.com - Veyron 16.4

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    There are lots of different vehicles from Mini Coopers to Super Duty pickups in use. I drove a Scion Xb for over 5 years and was one of the easiest and most versatile vehicles ever and great on gas. I could carry my large little giant ladders on top (if needed) and keep my smaller werner ladder inside.

Some of it depends on the homes in your area and your level of comfort with roofs. Beyond the ladder, almost any vehicle will do the trick but I agree that impression to the customer is a big thing. No matter the vehicle type, your vehicle choice says something to your customer about you, keep it professional.

By the way I'm in a 4-door F-150 now; a big change from my little box. A big change in fuel cost too!
    Jim, I had to grin when I saw you were now in a 4 door F150. I remember posting a while back on car choices and I popped off and said something to the effect that I would never be caught dead driving a little Xbox car to an inspection. Then you said, Uh, I drive an Xbox. Oops

Anyway, I'm glad you came over to the dark, gas-guzzling side

I love my 4dr F150

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Thumbs up Re: What kind of vehicle is appropriate for my Home Inspection business?

Interresting to read how inspectors choose the right vehicle by considering the gas consumption, how it would impressed the clients etc... I'm from up north (I mean way up north) and the only thing all of the home inspectors have in common here are their vehicles. They may have different meters or testers or whatever but they all drive Pick-up trucks. If you're a home inspector you drive a pick-up truck, may be extended cab, long box, short box, whatever but a pick-up. Although gas is $6.40/gal. (northern Ontario) it's never been an issue, funny hey.
    I love reading these threads they are so informative and they make you pause and think "why exactly am I doing what I'm doing or using what I'm using" Thanks guys........

Here is a gas saver!

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Jim, I had to grin when I saw you were now in a 4 door F150. I remember posting a while back on car choices and I popped off and said something to the effect that I would never be caught dead driving a little Xbox car to an inspection. Then you said, Uh, I drive an Xbox. Oops

Anyway, I'm glad you came over to the dark, gas-guzzling side

I love my 4dr F150
    I have always been a truck guy (mainly Chevy but in reality the little Xb was one of the best inspection vehicles I have used. But talking about the dark side, my dad may be rolling in the grave to know I'm driving a Ford!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Skalski View Post
    Here is a gas saver!
    Yeah, but you have to feed the cow even when you're parked at home.

That thing is clever but none too stable, BTW. A climb up a steep hill would be an adventure, to say the least.

www.allsafehome.ca

Mini Cooper S for the last 8 years as well as a motorcycle for few years which was just awesome for LA traffic. Telesteps ladder always...maybe one roof a year presents an issue where an upper level deck, lower lever roof or neighbors roof is not available (I've asked many neighbors if I could use their roof and have only been denied once...I've even asked neighbors with a similar model of the clients home if I could see an interior feature--usually fireplaces-- so I could confirm a modification).

Over the past 38 years we have used cars, trucks, mini vans, a step van and full size vans. Last year one of my realtors bought a new car and sold me her Explorer. It is a 1998 model and had 149,000 miles on it. I knew the vehicle as she had driven it to all the WDI s I had done. She bought it new and had all the service records. I paid $2,300.00 and it is one of the best deals I ever made. Even though it is a V8 (5.0) it gets around 19 MPG. It is comfortable and holds all my tools and equipment as well as chemical supplies. We use Rangers for pest route work and an F150 for termite treatments but for me the Explorer is the best I've ever used for day in and day out inspections and radon measurements. It does not have the third row seating so this gives more room for supplies. I'm 6' 2" and 290 Lbs so comfort is important. With this car I get comfort and some measure of economy. There many good used Explorers out there for less than $5,000. I will buy another when this one dies. I hope to get 300,000 + miles before that happens.........

This month I retired my 97 Toyota T100 (206K miles) and changed over to my Wife's Highlander.
    After realizing that I have been carrying around a bunch of stuff I never needed/used, I got all the gear situated in the new ride. The one thing I noticed is the "noise" of the stuff shifting (mostly the ladder) when I'm driving. I never heard anything before because everything was in the bed of the truck inside the shell.
    Well, it will be nice to be able to stand at the back and be out of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I have always been a truck guy (mainly Chevy but in reality the little Xb was one of the best inspection vehicles I have used. But talking about the dark side, my dad may be rolling in the grave to know I'm driving a Ford!
    Years ago we bought a Dodge minivan for the family. My dad was visibly disappointed.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Garry Blankenship Guest

With some recent thread life I thought I might get a bit more realistic than the Volkswagon Bugatti, ( $ 1.2 mill, and 400 + mph is a reach for some inspectors ). I drive a Ford F250 standard truck, a canopy w/ roof rack and a bed slide. If and when needed, the rack handles the too big for comfort extension ladder. Plenty of storage and one of my favorite toys / the bed slide is a great tool. Being over 30 years of age, ( substantially over ), the bed slide makes most everything grasp accessible and no need to crawl in there, eliminating the risk of not being able to get back out It also serves me as a multi-task vehicle in that I can pop that canopy & bed slide off w/ a manual shop crane, drive under my older than dirt 8' camper and set about my real life's passion of being a fish bum. Oh yea; the truck can also serve as a truck, ( hauling stuff, towing, etc. ). Small block V8 gas engine that wins no Green points @ 14 mpg, but considering no need for a car or RV, it should.