Default attic hatch door in garage

quick question: An attic over the garage has a wood panel access hatch with a grate in it. Why? I have no idea. Anyway...I was ready to call this out as a potential safety / fire issue. But the wall in the attic against the house was rocked and taped all the way up to the roof sheathing with no penetrations. Does this void the need for a fire rated access hatch to the attic? Kinda think so, but what say you.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: attic hatch door in garage

If it serves no useful purpose, just say "Replace it". Or do you have to justify everything with a code rule?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thanks john. No i don't report on "code" issues. My question is more of is it necessary to block that opening in the hatch since there is a complete firewall in the attic itself. I kind of think not. Do you even need a cover over the opening to the attic? I think of an open truss ceiling with a fire taped wall. What's the difference really. Does that make sense?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Does this void the need for a fire rated access hatch to the attic?
    First, the attic access cover is not required to be "fire rated", it is just required to be minimum of 1/2" gypsum board - there is a *big* difference between the two.

Second, you are correct that if the garage wall goes all the way to the roof sheathing, then there is not even a requirement for the garage to have a ceiling, it could be open all the way to the roof.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

fire rated. sorry wrong terminology. Gypsum is what I meant. Thanks for the answer. That's what I thought.

I will take a stab at this. The attic access door in my house is in the garage and is gyp. It does NOT stay in place long as a result of the pressure change in the garage when the door is opened. A breeze comes in thru the large door opening and has more than enough pressure to push the gyp access hatch out of place.

To remedy this I put a grille in the center of the hatch and it now stays put.

There is no fire rating concerns as long as the wall between the house and the garage is 5/8' gyp to the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    It does NOT stay in place long as a result of the pressure change in the garage when the door is opened. A breeze comes in thru the large door opening and has more than enough pressure to push the gyp access hatch out of place.
    The easier and better solution is to install two locking type hooks and eyes, one each centered on opposite sides of the cover to the supporting trim, centered on the long dimension if not square. This holds the cover in place. If you really need to hold that sucker down, use two more centered on the other two sides.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Attic insulation

Viewed an attic today that was 20 years old and the roof was replaced an year or less ago. The insulation had a dark film on it. I did not touch or disturb it thinking it could be mold. Your thoughts? Picture included

Jim

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Default Re: Attic insulation

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Viewed an attic today that was 20 years old and the roof was replaced an year or less ago. The insulation had a dark film on it. I did not touch or disturb it thinking it could be mold. Your thoughts? Picture included

Jim
    Interesting that you would chime in on this thread. However, that looks like dirt to me.

Default Re: Attic insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    Interesting that you would chime in on this thread. However, that looks like dirt to me.
    Ditto Dirt.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.