A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Never Use the "C" Word

Good post Aaron
    I have a similar story.

Seems that insurance companies are also tightening the belt.
    In an effort to reduce cost (increase profits) the insurance companies are now requesting a "Certificate of alarm installation" much more often than in the past.
    In order for someone to receive credit for having an alarm system, the insurance companies require a "Certificate of alarm installation" from the alarm company (me).
    No certificate = no credit for alarm system
    Certificate = Alarm company may be held responsible to reemburse the insurance company for some of the claims.

A certificate opens the alarm company up to sub-ligation from the insurance company for losses incured.
    Trade magazines advise to be careful as to how the certificate is worded.

Anyhow, now, whenever someone ask me for a "Certificate". I tell them:
    In order to issue a certificate I must first perform a series of test on the alarm system. For the alarm system test I charge XXX, plus XX for the certification.
    However as a alternative I can send you a "Verification of monitoring service", at no charge.

I send the "Verification of service" to my customer, they, in turn send it to the insurance company.

On the bottom I include:
    The holder of this document hereby agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the alarm company, it's owners, employees, and vendors, from all claims, by any person or entity, regarding the performance or
    non-performance of the alarm company, alarm system and or monitoring service.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    She is suing the inspector and not the roofing company.

I admit I have always been a little irritated when a homeowner has hired an inspector for a new home construction, but after reading this, I may insist that they have an inspector keep an eye on us.

Herein lies the problem: (underlining and bold are mine) "hired defendant Theodore B. Harp Jr. to certify the roof as being in accordance with the International Residential Code 2003 upon the roof's completion."

There is no way anyone should certify a roof when inspecting "upon" "completion". The only way would be to have been inspecting the roof at each step ... CONTINUALLY ... at each step, not just "stop by" inspections.

Of course, though, that would cost too much.

Any inspector who inspects a roof AFTER IT IS COMPLETE and CERTIFIES IT is a fool, and you know what they say ... "A fool and his money soon part."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

When people tell me they need a roof certification, I tell them all I can do is tell them what type of roof they have and what the condition of the roof is at the time of the inspection. And that my inspection is in no way, shape, or form a guarantee of future performance. When they say the bank wants to know the roof is good for two years, I again refer them back to my initial explanation of what I can do for them.

The bank wants somebody on the hook in case something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

I admit I have always been a little irritated when a homeowner has hired an inspector for a new home construction, but after reading this, I may insist that they have an inspector keep an eye on us.
    Chris, are you a builder in Rock Hill?

I do alot of new construction inspections, predrywall and finals and find most builders to be very appreciative of my report. Saved several builders from some major disasters. I have not done any inspections while the popular manufactured stone was being installed and feel that someone really needs to be heavily involved in that is this area even though it would delay the project and ruffle some feathers.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

CM: Be happy I am not in your area . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Herein lies the problem: (underlining and bold are mine) "hired defendant Theodore B. Harp Jr. to certify the roof as being in accordance with the International Residential Code 2003 upon the roof's completion."
    The other problem is that the roof of the flower shop was inspected "in accordance with the International Residential Code"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Weck View Post
    The other problem is that the roof of the flower shop was inspected "in accordance with the International Residential Code"

Good point, I blew right by that one.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Chris, are you a builder in Rock Hill?

I do alot of new construction inspections, predrywall and finals and find most builders to be very appreciative of my report. Saved several builders from some major disasters.
    Bruce,
    Yes I am a builder in Rock Hill, I also do a lot of remodeling (more remodeling than building the last 12 months ) I have read your post here and I can say that I would not have a problem with you, or any of the inspectors that post here, doing inspections on my projects.

The problem is that the inspector that I have had to deal with is an idiot. Notice I said inspector (no "s"), it was the same dumbas$ both times this happened, I will not call any names, but I am sure you would know who it is, or at least who his dad is .

I know for every bad inspector there a 10 bad builders, but before I found this site I thought that a competent home inspector was like Bigfoot, everybody has heard of one, but nobody has ever actually seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    CM: Be happy I am not in your area . . .
    Aaron,
    That has crossed my mind several times, and I am very happy.

Last edited by chris mcintyre; 02-02-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: replaced "an" with "a"

I use the C word. I use it in the following paragraph.

I will inspect the roof and give my professional opinion. I will put my findings in a written report. I do not provide a "certification" of any kind. If a "certification" is what you want or need, you should hire someone else.

archivoyeur Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Weck View Post
    shop was inspected "in accordance with the International Residential Code"
    I wondered about that myself...