Mike Huppi Guest

Default dryer vent distance from gas meter?

What is the exact distance suppose to be for the meter and dryer vent?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: dryer vent distance from gas meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huppi View Post
    What is the exact distance suppose to be for the meter and dryer vent?
    There is no "exact" distance, but there is a "minimum" distance - 3 feet.

The dryer vent is a building opening, 3 feet from building openings to regulator.

Bob H., does the 3 feet also apply to the 'gas meter'? I would think not, just to the regulator????

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Huppi Guest

Wink Re: dryer vent distance from gas meter?

Thanks Jerry

Cool Re: dryer vent distance from gas meter?

Several ways to look at this. One could justify this as a "source of ignition" which would be required to be at least 3 ft. away from the meter. You could view the dryer vent as an intake source into the building and require 4ft. However, it is Not a mechanical intake but exhaust so most AHJs would let that slide, esp. with NG. However, with LP, they would be a lot more nervous.

Keep in mind what it is the codes are concerned with. If the diaphragm on the meter ruptures, you would have a vapor cloud of combustible gas so the idea is to keep it away from, a) sources of ignition and b) entering the house.

NG will rise and dissapate while LP will tend not to disperse but remain in an amophous blob for an extended period just waiting for a spark.

The functional arguement about dryers being intakes is when the house is under negative pressure, they certainly can be a source of infiltration. Those that have backdraft dampers, the valve plate is always coated with lint and won't close anyway.

HTH

HTH

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Keep in mind what it is the codes are concerned with. If the diaphragm on the meter ruptures, you would have a vapor cloud of combustible gas so the idea is to keep it away from, a) sources of ignition and b) entering the house.
    In the meter? Or in the regulator?

Both?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: dryer vent distance from gas meter?

Because the regulator vents to the atmosphere, it has the most potential for causing an Ooops! should the diaphragm rupture. The meter has a bellows affair but it is contained inside. Yes, both are clamshells with a gasketed seal. However, should that gasket fail, experience and testing tells us it will usually result in very low nuisance levels of fugitive gas. Still, it could lead to wastage you are paying for just like a running toilet.

FYI, indoor MP regulators must have a vent limiter device that allows a maximum leakage of 1 CFH at 3/4 PSI per ANSI. Otherwise, it must vent to the outdoors. There used to be appliance regulators with an internal bleed that fed back to the pilot flame. I think these may still be in use with commercial and industrial applications. I still see them once in a blue moon in residences.

HTH.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

I am familiar with the vent limiter because so many (almost all) of the ones I've seen were misused outdoors as 'vent protectors'.

Vent limiters and vent protectors are different, and are for different purposes.

Also, most regulators I've seen installed outdoors (other than the ones installed at the meter by the gas company) were installed incorrectly, with the vent opening not facing down.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

Bob. What does a vent limiter look like. I see a lot of basement gas meters that appear to be not vented. Any Pics?