Anthony Alderman Guest

Default attic sewere vent???

Found this this morning. There was a 4 inch sewer vent pipe at the rear of the house. Then there was this in the attic. Just a little puzzled. Can this be done?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: attic sewer vent???

Yes, but it should be within 3 feet of the attic access opening (the code is fuzzy on the distance, but it must be accessible, and, if there is no walkway to it, then it needs to be able to be reached from the attic access opening).

However, it still needs *at least one* vent open to atmosphere outdoors.

If that is the 4" vent, then that is likely the one intended to vent outdoors to atmosphere.

That is required to be 6" above the insulation, so it meets that.

Also, it needs to not be reduced in size, other than that is to be the Maxi-Vent and must be sized for 4" vent. ( STUDOR (R) inVENTive Technology (TM) - Air Admittance Valves )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: attic sewere vent???

It was not intended for that purpose but more for center islands or peninsular sinks and such. It is accepted by building inspectors and I do not think it shows anywhere that you cannot do it.

However I have found it before and wrote it up. I do things like that because I think what they did was foolish. Is not the roof right over that pipe. Someone else posted similar to this.

Again the intent was when fixtures were added somewhere that a vent was further away than allowed by code and a wall was also out of rach to add a vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    It was not intended for that purpose
    Ted,

It is "intended for that purpose".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Anthony Alderman Guest

The 4 inch is on the back of the house. This one is a 2 inch pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Alderman View Post
    The 4 inch is on the back of the house. This one is a 2 inch pipe.
    But is there "at least one" vent which vents outdoors to open air?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Anthony Alderman Guest

Your right but it just looked so totally out of place. Thats the 1st time I've seen that. Thanks
    Tony

Ted Menelly Guest

Mr Jerry

Actually vents are intended to be brought to the exterior unless there is not a possible point to do so. No, there original intent was not even for homes but were used in mobile homes and then accepted to be used in places like I mentioned above. If you have clear access to vent a plumbing vent to the exterior then it should be done. The vent you see in that attic is half *** work. They were able to bring it to the attic they should have continued it on to the exterior.

Did I just state code, no. I stated common good building practise.

Ted Menelly Guest

The actual history. I cannot believe no one called me on this.

Sture Ericson developed the air admittance valve in Sweden in the early 1970s. He introduced the valve to the United States in 1986 and was instrumental in the development of of the ASSE Performance Standards 1050 and 1051, as well as gaining code approvals in state and model codes. In 1988, Studor, INc. was established as the distributor for North America. Studor, Inc. was acquired by IPS Corporation in 1998.

Studor has pioneered AAV technology since its introduction in the USA, and accordingly the industry refers to AAVs as 'Studor vents', the brand name in the industry. The development of AAVs has led to new and different ways to vent a plumbing drainage system. AAVs are an innovative way to replace the vent piping for a sanitary drainage system that extends through the roof to the outdoors.

Millions of valves have been installed worldwide. In the future, when fully implemented , the use of Studor AAVs in building plumbing systems will create significant cost savings and contribute to a cleaner environment by keeping sewer gases in the sewer system.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Back to me. I still hold with good building practices. Valves can go bad and vent gasses where you may not want them to.

The actual history. I cannot believe no one called me on this.

Sture Ericson developed the air admittance valve in Sweden in the early 1970s. He introduced the valve to the United States in 1986 and was instrumental in the development of of the ASSE Performance Standards 1050 and 1051, as well as gaining code approvals in state and model codes. In 1988, Studor, INc. was established as the distributor for North America. Studor, Inc. was acquired by IPS Corporation in 1998.
    Actual history continued:

I have talked with Stu several times in years past. On the phone several times and once or twice in person. That said, I could see him today, if still alive, and not have any idea whom I was talking to unless I was told it was him (i.e., I did not 'get to know him', just talked with him).

Getting back to the other post comment ... I repeat:

"
    It is "intended for that purpose".
    "

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Let's see...
    The "code allows one to be in the attic.
    The manf. says it's OK to be installed in the attic.

If it was installed properly according to those two, I would have a real problem if someone told me it was wrong just because they didn't like it. Cant say I would travel down "that" road myself.

Ted Menelly Guest

Unhappy Re: attic sewere vent???

I think Jerry sized it up.

I actually made a purposeful fraudulent statement to get the history of the vents. I forgot the history behind them.

Sorry about that. It made it a bit more interesting. I guess I could have been boring and just asked.

I will still stick to my statement that they should vent to the exterior when possible and it is a lazy way of doing things. They can stop functioning. Why take care of venting possibly twice. Just a good building/plumbing practise.

I will still stick to my statement that they should vent to the exterior when possible and it is a lazy way of doing things.
    Agreed.

They can stop functioning.
    That's why they have to be accessible.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Now

You like the technical Mr Jerry

They are mechanical. What would mr book say about mechanics as far as a light and walkway?????