Thread: Tub Enclosure ?

Question Tub Enclosure ?

Any codes restricting such shelves as pictured below at tub wall?

Common sense says its a safety hazard if someone fell against it but the buyer (attorney) ask for code if present.

I told him I did not need a code to write it up as a safety hazard but he thinks he'll need a code stating its wrong to have the builder remove it and repair the tile.

I told him just to ask the builder to remove it in writing and attach his card to it.

Any opinions?

rick

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Michael Larson Guest

Default Re: Tub Enclosure ?

Would that shelf be any more or less a safety hazard than the faucet handle if someone fell against it? Why it could poke your eye out!

To be serious, I know of no code to site for your situation.

Jon Randolph Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Would that shelf be any more or less a safety hazard than the faucet handle if someone fell against it? Why it could poke your eye out!

I think that the difference would be the fact that the tile already has a sharp edge from the angled cut plus it would be more apt to break into sharp pieces if you fall against it than say a soap dish.

I don't think that I would write it up though.

So Michael, if I understand you correctly there should be some type of rubber bumper type device on the water faucet handle or maybe some type of eye protection equipment recommended for use in the tub.

Makes good sense to me.

rick

Michael Larson Guest

Yes Rick I think it best to wear goggles in the shower and a crash helmet too.
    Bathroom falls are common and serious.

Codes would not address an item like that. It is a design feature/hazard that I see fairly often.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

Any opinions?

rick
    Ball Peen Hammer and a chisel.

And of course safety goggles and crash helmet .

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I don't see where the valve handle would be much different. No one's going to suggest that it be removed as well.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I've added those into some of my own showers, not out of tile (which to me is risky) but out of marble or travertine and were much thicker.

I agree with the others that it is not much different than falling into the valve handle.

If falling were a concern such that that tile was a concern, no recommendation for replacement would be acceptable without a recommendation for a proper handicapped style, size, and located, grab bar (i.e., don't use a towel bar or a soap dish holder).

Not going to install a proper grab bar? I wouldn't worry about that tile. (Except that the thin tile with its unfinished edge looks el cheapo.)

It's soap dish / shampoo / conditioner shelf.

What about the shower head? If you fall and flail your arms around trying to grab something, you might hurt yourself on the shower head.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com