brianmiller Guest

Default Ground rod thru slab? Thoughts?

Can someone explain what is going on here, what the builder's thinking is? This can't be right.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Ground rod thru slab? Thoughts?

Although I normally see them inside and I have not seen one like that, it might be a Ufer ground.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Looks like a driven ground rod that was not driven in all the way, that it was left out like that to show what happens when they are left out like that and left exposed to physical damage ... they were just being kind and showing why (one reason why) those ground rods should be driven all the way into the ground ...

It was probably bent over after having be hit with the lawn mower so many times over the years.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Looks like a driven ground rod that was not driven in all the way, that it was left out like that to show what happens when they are left out like that and left exposed to physical damage ... they were just being kind and showing why (one reason why) those ground rods should be driven all the way into the ground ...

It was probably bent over after having be hit with the lawn mower so many times over the years.
    Jerry- Am I missing something? I do not see a bent over Ground Rod. Left out to show what happens ?? All I see is a ground rod up against the foundation

Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    All I see is a ground rod up against the foundation
    Jack, that is angled towards the foundation, being as it is a bit difficult to drive a ground rod in at that angle with a house there I am guessing that it was bent over that way.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jack, that is angled towards the foundation, being as it is a bit difficult to drive a ground rod in at that angle with a house there I am guessing that it was bent over that way.
    Not Angled ( it's embedded ) top inch or so in the poured slab.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Not Angled ( it's embedded ) top inch or so in the poured slab.
    To me it doesn't look embedded, it looks like someone applied parging or something to the side of the foundation/slab and when around, and part way over, the top of the ground rod.

The ground rod would not have been driven before the foundation/slab was formed and poured, which means the ground rod was driven next to the foundation/slab and then bent over - probably at the time of construction and before the parging was applied.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kris Svendsen Guest

To me it doesn't look embedded, it looks like someone applied parging or something to the side of the foundation/slab and when around, and part way over, the top of the ground rod.
    Bingo. That's what I see too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Svendsen View Post
    Bingo. That's what I see too.
    Do you also see it was "hit with the lawn mower so many times over the years."

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

The ground rod would not have been driven before the foundation/slab was formed and poured, which means the ground rod was driven next to the foundation/slab and then bent over - probably at the time of construction and before the parging was applied.
    Embedded by " Parging " is Embedded no matter how you slice it. (" Not Bent Over")
    Bill Clinton It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is - YouTube

Embedded by " Parging " is Embedded no matter how you slice it. (" Not Bent Over")
    Embedded by parging IS NOT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens
    ( it's embedded ) top inch or so in the poured slab.
    You sound like "Mission Accomplished" and the mission had not yet even started ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Embedded by parging IS NOT:

You sound like "Mission Accomplished" and the mission had not yet even started ...
    Thank You, Thank you Very Much ! mission impossible theme song - YouTube
    * did they bend that with a Riding Mower ( or just an ole Push Mower ? )

* did they bend that with a Riding Mower ( or just an ole Push Mower ? )
    Sling blade

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Sling blade
    Wait a Minute ( that sounds like it has a History to it !!! ) Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade - Sling Blade (2/12) Movie CLIP (1996) HD - YouTube

Wait a Minute ( that sounds like it has a History to it !!! ) Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade - Sling Blade (2/12) Movie CLIP (1996) HD - YouTube
    You is a sick man
    ummm
    sick
    ummm

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    You is a sick man
    ummm
    sick
    ummm
    Karl: They turned me loose from the nervous hospital. 'Said I was well. un-hun

My guess is that the rod was installed horizontally into the slab before the slab was placed, and the end was bent down vertically 90 degrees to allow the form to be installed. After the form was stripped, the bar was pried away from the edge of the slab to allow for installation of the clamp, and the edge of the slab was then parged to cover the indention left by the bar. It should be easy to confirm by seeing how deep the bar goes down into the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post
    My guess is that the rod was installed horizontally into the slab before the slab was placed, ...
    Why ... why would the rod be installed horizontally into the slab at any time, before the slab was poured or not?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Why ... why would the rod be installed horizontally into the slab at any time, before the slab was poured or not?
    Too Protect it From being Run Over Repeatably With a Lawnmower.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

What was the OP? Oh ya, thru da slab. Usually, it is during back fill where the conscientious excavator gently moves the grounding rod out of harms way.
    Not his fault, way up there on top of his rig. It is not so much that the rod itself can be damaged (bending is of no concern) but that 8ft+ is in the earth/foundation and more importantly that the GEC & connection is protected.