Default What inspecting method are you using?

How many of you guys when inspecting, scan an entire room doing for example all the elect, doors, floors, walls, ceilings etc... at one time? Or if your outside, walls, flatwork, trim...
    As opposed to the manner in which you only focus on one or two items for example, just doors and floors, or only receptacles and / or switches, or only windows? Personally, I usually scan multiple finishes, or whatever.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What inspecting method are you using?

so how many times do you circle through one house?

I would go into a room and look it over, then start my way around the room inspecting whatever I came across next.

That first look around the room lets you know if there are any suspect windows which will need to be measured for EERO size, possible leak stains, and other readily visible items (no smoke detector, smoke detector located in wrong place, etc.).

I would do the same on the exterior, first look at one side and the yard, etc., to take in the entire picture, then start inspecting what I came across as I went around inspecting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    so how many times do you circle through one house?
    Lol, lots of times. I tried inspecting houses so many different ways over the years, but my method seems to work best for me.
    I actually run 4-6 miles every day so I dont mind walking another 2 to 4. Besides, It gives me an opportunity to see things at least twice. Out here, the average year of the houses are about 1995-current. Pretty easy stuff.

Clint White Guest

I like to drive by real slow like and take a couple of exterior pictures for my report......I'll even stop the truck if I suspect any potential issues....... Just kidding

Ron Bibler Guest

Go to the right and stay right when you get back to the door you have been over the roon one time then repete this as many times as you need to.

With the Exterior 3 TIMES AROUND Every home...

This works for me. don't miss much. when I was young my brother in-law. Just about one of the best inspector I have ever work with .

Said if you miss something its because you did not look

I never forgot that.......

Best

Ron

Assuming I can get in the house first (big assumption), I walk the place fairly quickly - 5-10 mins for most places, then do all the outside things. Next, I go for mechanicals (furnace, water heater, electric panel, garage doors), then attics, then interior and lastly the underfloor crawl space.

The longer I do this the more I realize there's really not that much to see in any one interior room (especially bedrooms and living rooms) - So, to answer the question, I do it all while in a room - I can't imagine making separate trips through the house for different things.... this must be the method that leads to the 6 hour inspections I hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Assuming I can get in the house first (big assumption), I walk the place fairly quickly - 5-10 mins for most places, then do all the outside things. Next, I go for mechanicals (furnace, water heater, electric panel, garage doors), then attics, then interior and lastly the underfloor crawl space.

The longer I do this the more I realize there's really not that much to see in any one interior room (especially bedrooms and living rooms) - So, to answer the question, I do it all while in a room - I can't imagine making separate trips through the house for different things.... this must be the method that leads to the 6 hour inspections I hear about.
    Not really too long, two to three hours for 2500sqft decent shape. Dont get me wrong, if Im walking thru a house multiple times Im concentrating on one thing only, not sight seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint White View Post
    I like to drive by real slow like and take a couple of exterior pictures for my report......I'll even stop the truck if I suspect any potential issues....... Just kidding
    I almost fell out of my chair LMAO! Good stuff!

Russel Ray Guest

Clockwise inside starting at kitchen. That allows me to wind up back in the kitchen to make sure the dishwasher made it through its cycle and the over and burners are off.

Clockwise outside until I get to the swimming pool, which defines the end of the inspection until the barbecue and margaritas show up.

Exterior; twice around the house clockwise and then once around counter clockwise. It is amazing what you will see going from a different direction. I also do a quick look in the attic before I go on the roof

Inside; I use the kitchen as my base. First I turn the A/C down 10 degrees. Turn on the dishwasher (after I have checked the inside and connections). Then I head to the electrical panel and check it out. Back to the kitchen to make my notes, get a swig of water and get whatever else I might need.

Next I check each room (windows, doors, elec. outlets, light fixtures, etc.) As I come to a bathroom, it is checked. Back in the attic for a little more in depth look.

Last thing I do is the crawlspace

I also head back to the kitchen every now and then to tell my clients of my progress and to keep them informed of what I'm finding.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Clint White Guest

I also head back to the kitchen every now and then to tell my clients of my progress and to keep them informed of what I'm finding
    You actually make your clients wait in the kitchen? I prefer to have them hanging on my back like a monkey, breathing on my neck, whispering stupid things in my ear like ...... Can I pay your fee in monthly installments?

Most of my agents are pretty cool. they keep the client occupied for the duration, not that I mind. Either way is fine. I have to admit that about 10% of the inspections are w/o anyone there or they leave once it get boring to them. Bad thing about this are the phone calls afterwards.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Most of my agents are pretty cool. they keep the client occupied for the duration, not that I mind. Either way is fine. I have to admit that about 10% of the inspections are w/o anyone there or they leave once it get boring to them. Bad thing about this are the phone calls afterwards.

I almost never get phone calls afterwards. Seriously, just about never and my clients almost always only come at the end when I am done and on very many occassions not at all.

To tell the clients to be there but have them hang in the other room or outside or with a realtor makes absolutely no sence in having them there the entire time.

Better fight against liability because they are there hanging in the kitchen.....Not.

Keep the clients at work or at home where they belong until you are ready for them. It does you or them absolutely no good to be there the entire time. They will find out just as much if not more about there home if you spend quality time with them in the end when you are done and also can be much more organised about how you present it to them.

I know the answer to that is that you also spend time with them in the end. Now you are going over things twice and spending unnecessary time at the inspection. Doing a walk around with them once (not ten times) and then handing them the report that says exactly what you just went over with them creates a better understasnding, clearer trouble free inspection and no calls after the inspection. I don't even know what the figures are. Maybe 1 in 15 or 20 clients may call about the inspection but never literally about the inspection but more like if I had a name for a plumber or electrician and such.

I shake my head all the time because everyone says the same thing. Their clients are either hanging in the kitchen the whole time or they follow you for a few and get bored then hang in the kitchen. It does no one involved any good what so ever. All it does is extend the inspection time and create interuptions to an other wise smooth uninterupted inspection.

To be standing on the peak of a roof looking around at the roofing materials and flashings and such and to have a client standing on the ground stairing up at you is only a distraction. No matter how minor a distraction it is still a distraction. You need absolutely no distractions what so ever when performing an inspection. You don't need the client there to perform in front of. This is not a circus or magic act or comedy show.

A little edit here

Agents at an inspection ?????????????????????????????????????/ For what unGodly reason would I want an agent at my home inspection for. They are just increasing liability whether it is a buyers agent or sellers agent. An inspection is no place for anyone representing anybody to be. Influence??????? Probably not. But....Influence....maybe.....subtle little messages seeping out of the realtors brains and floating thru the air at the inspection and persuading you to be nice on your report.

Liability with agents there. You just increased it ten fold. Not to mention them roaming around the home while you are doing your inspection. You are the one scheduled to be there. You have permission to be in the home. The buyers or agents, if there, have no business being anywhere but at you side or planted on the rear patio or glued to a chair at the dining table and such but preferrabley not there at all ever.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 08-17-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Russel Ray Guest

I love the phone calls afterwards:

1 - Thank you! We got $50,000 for a new roof.
    2 - That doohickey cost $5,000 to repair. You were right!
    3 - Will you come to our housewarming party?
    4 - Would you like those plants that you were commenting on? We're relandscaping.
    5 - Is your offer to take us to some plant nurseries still open?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Go to the right and stay right when you get back to the door you have been over the roon one time then repete this as many times as you need to.

With the Exterior 3 TIMES AROUND Every home...

This works for me. don't miss much. when I was young my brother in-law. Just about one of the best inspector I have ever work with .

Said if you miss something its because you did not look

I never forgot that.......

Best

Ron

Ron,

I do the same thing except I start in the kitchen. Once I finish with the kitchen I go to the front door and start going to the right making a circle you might say through the home. I finish back at the front door knowing I've covered everything in the home.

I worked with a guy once that would go check all the windows, then go check all the doors, then the plumbing and so on. It would be an all day job on a 2K sq.ft. home. Not the way to do it as I've learned.

rick

I have designed reporting software (3-D) and laid it out in the order I like to do the inspection.

Now days, many of my inspections are REO's and there is no one living there. I often arrive a 1/2 hour or so early and have some time to prowl around on my own without being disturbed. I get the exteriors, grounds, roof, utilities and foundation all inspected most times before anyone arrives. I may need to throw my ladder over a fence to get in the back now and then. Once everyone shows up and I get inside, I handle the pre-briefing with the client to make sure they understand the process. Now I can continue with the interiors and any systems like furnaces etc. that I could not get to earlier. Enter the data into the computer, give the "verbal" report and call for additional inspection if needed, collect my check and say goodbye. Report comes within 24 hours, usually in 2-3 hours after I get back to the office. Typical house takes 2-3 hours on-site and 1 hour for the report and pics. I've gotten the process pretty streamlined after 7 years.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

I start in the kitchen and do the circle thing except I bear to the left going clock wise around the house along the outside wall inspecting everything as I go. I will go back for a few things like shower pans and hydrotherapy tubs.
    I like the several trips around the exterior in different directions method.
    There roof and attic are done according to the weather. Roof and attic is done first thing if it is a morning inspection unless it is raining. Crawl space is always last (thankfully I see very few of those).
    I never take notes, just lots of pictures and never do the report on site. Report within 24 hours by email.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Arrive half hour early to get the bulk of the exterior done. 2-3 laps around the house at least once in opposite direction. Meet & greet customer and sign contract in kitchen. Move to front door and either circle around left or right depending on layout. When back at front door, inspect anything in the "middle" that was not hit during the circular sweep. Inspect all items within a room before moving on. Garage is inspected during interior inspection when reach that door. Once back at front door, move to addtional floors, attic and then crawlspace. 90%+ have crawls in this area. That way get dirty and then out the door. Report emailed to client by midnight the following day. Photos are only notes taken. Customer is usually attached at hip for entire inspection except roof, attic, and crawl. Usually 3.5 hours from arrival to pulling away.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Top down, and outside in! Quick walk around the outside, then up on the roof first. The basement or crawlspace is last. Same thing in the individual rooms, entry door, ceiling, walls, then once around checking switches, outlets, windows, etc.

I'm intrigued by the differences in who's there & when. Some mention they don't want anybody around, and others can't get in till someone comes to let them in. I trained in Chicago where the RE agents insist on letting you in and being there for the entire inspection. The people up there couldn't believe that I had a Supra key. I rarely go on an inspection where I don't have the means of letting myself in when I get there, and I'm frequently by myself for much, if not all of the inspection (the contract gets signed before I make the trip in those cases).

I encourage my clients to accompany me everywhere but the roof, the attic, or a crawlspace. They get a lot more out of the inspection, I get a lot less phone calls later, and they usually get bored after a bit and wander off, leaving me to do my thing. But I still find them and brief them on findings as I finish each general area.

Terry Neyedli Guest

How many of you guys when inspecting, scan an entire room doing for example all the elect, doors, floors, walls, ceilings etc... at one time? Or if your outside, walls, flatwork, trim...
    As opposed to the manner in which you only focus on one or two items for example, just doors and floors, or only receptacles and / or switches, or only windows? Personally, I usually scan multiple finishes, or whatever.
    Arrive early and even eariler if in an unfamiliar area.
    Take visual notes of same/similar surrounding homes.
    Note the lay of the land, view the general outline of the building, vegetation, note any oddities all the while the camera has been working overtime.
    Walk around the building once in each direction. All this befor the clients/realtor arrives. Timelapse maybe 10 minutes. Meet and greet all handing out business cards. Smiles galore.
    Have the client sign the contract. Explain the rules of the inspection process and ask clients for their concerns/comments.
    Start on the roof once in each direction take pictures and mental notes.
    Walk around the building explaining your findings in plain language as you go but do not rush. Next up into the attic space, then room by room examine/explaing and starting with the living room, bedrooms then the baths ending with the kitchen (this is where most of the waking hours are spent). This allows the clients to become familiar here. Pause here to ask for any questions/comments.
    The garage/carport comes next and possibilly the basement/crawl too.
    Next comes the testing of the outlets, windows, doors etc.
    Move on to the plumbing then heating and finally the electrical system.
    Total time involved between 3-4 hours for first time buyers somewhat less for seasoned purchasers.
    Thank yous all around hand shakes and with the cheque in hand the final goodbye to your clients.

I vary this process from time to time.
    This works very well for my clients.
    T.Neyedli CHI
    BPCPA #47827
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca

Restoration Guest

I like to go slowly taking in every minute detail in every room as well as the exterior very carefully. And this works best for me.

hey all

first thing i check is the gas meter for leaks--so if there is one i call energy company which is xcel in colorado---they show up in thirty plus minutes and you start out as a hero. then exterior twice, inner guts, furnace and water heater then attic and last that nasty crawl

charlie

Exterior 1st
    Once I get inside I do the primary floors and rooms. I do everything in the room regardless of what it is at that time. My report is set-up on a room by room basis also.
    Then mechanicals, since for us mechanicals are all typically in the basement I do the basement as I do the mechanicals.
    Any specialty items, extensive detecting or investigating is done last since it may take a few minutes or a while.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"