Default good camera deal

If you need a camera or might want to get a really nice backup, do it now. This is a really good deal.

The black one can be purchased online but must be picked up at store.

Panasonic - 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - ZS5 Black

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: good camera deal

Thanks! I just ordered one and I can pick it up today!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

If it only took AA's, I'd order it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    I used to feel that way. Then I started using Sony cameras with proprietary lithium batteries and I've never looked back. I have two back-up batteries and chargers but almost never have to use them.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    Neal,

It comes with a hefty L-ion battery. My current TZ5 is the same platform and the battery has never gone even half way down during an inspection. Great battery life. You can always get a back up battery on ebay for pretty cheap. I have one but I've never needed it.

I've been using a Lumix camera for a few years now. I really like thge 10x zoom. I will ONLY buy a camera with rechargeable batteries. I always buy an extra battery and have it in my belt case. I carry an extra charger in my computer bag, so when I have to change batteries, I just plug in the charger and put the dead one in. Its charged in about 1/2 hour.

Panasonic makes a great camera, but when it comes to inspecting homes, getting in crawlspaces, taking pictures in freezing weather and rain, or dropping it on a basement floor these cameras just can't hack it.

I just got rid of that same model. The retractable lens got dust in it and froze up. The lens closure device also sticks. The camera freezes up in the winter and doesn't like to get wet. Had to throw it in the trash.

I recently purchased the LUMIX DMC-TS2 which is virtually indestructible. It is water proof, dust proof, and can operate in freezing temperatures.
    So far its works just great. No turning back now.

I highly recommend a more robust model.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Ken,
    I don't know any camera that is OK with being dropped on a basement floor or getting wet unless they have a special configuration with those features built in.

The LUMIX DMC-TS2 is a lot more money, and has a much smaller zoom. While I would like the "tank" aspects of that camera, I would really hate to give up my 10x zoom. I have the older mdl DMC-TZ4 and it has been great for me, and i'm in a lot of crawlspaces.

Don't take a camera into a dusty crawlspace if it has moving lens parts.

Here is one that keeps dust and water out for $199:

Olympus - Stylus Tough 12.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Green - Tough 3000 Green

and more for less:
    Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 10 MP Digital Camera (Orange)

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Mike Inspector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Don't take a camera into a dusty crawlspace if it has moving lens parts.

Here is one that keeps dust and water out for $199:

Olympus - Stylus Tough 12.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Green - Tough 3000 Green

and more for less:
    Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 10 MP Digital Camera (Orange)

I got two at Office Depot last week for 119 each

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann
    I don't know any camera that is OK with being dropped on a basement floor or getting wet unless they have a special configuration with those features built in.
    Jack,

This camera is rated waterproof up to 10 meters, is dust proof, can sustain a drop of 2 meters (6.6 ft) and operates in temperature range of
    -10C - 40C.

I used to only buy a camera if it had 10X zoom, but at 14.0 mega pixels digital zoom works great. This camera has a 4X optical and a 10.0X extended optical zoom and like I said with 14 mega pixels you can still do a computerized zoom beyond that and get very clear pictures.

I will never buy a camera with a telescoping lens, the dirt and rain have just killed too many.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Ken,
    Like I said, the camera was designed with those extra features.
    It looks like a great camera.

I just haven't had a problem with my cameras in crawlspaces. I did have a slight problem with one that fell out of its case when I was climbing down from an attic and fell 9' to the concrete floor. It shattered the screen, but continues to work just fine. I use it for a back up because I can't see what I'm taking, or review it until I remove the card. It was only 3 weeks old at the time. I no longer use cases that have velcro loops for belts.

If I can find a sealed camera that has a rechargeable battery, is pocket small and has a 10x zoom, I will probably buy it when my Lumix dies.

Darrel Hood Guest

I bought a Panasonic with a telescoping lens last year. It looked like a similar frame. I learned that accidental activation of the camera in the camera pocket also damages the drive for the lens. The telescoping lens system is too fragile for me to consider another one.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Sam Sloane Guest

I have grown tired of AA batteries. Never last long enough. The rechargeable types have a very short shelf life. You can charge it fully, leave it on the shelf and a few days later its dead.

Or, if you are willing to live with a larger form factor for a considerably more capable camera, this is another excellent deal:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Digital Camera

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Robert Smith Guest

I'll stick with the AA's to.

Well, I just bought a new Sony camera today for a really good deal. My first inspection camera with a rechargeable battery. I have three Lumix cameras; have had good luck with them all.

Michael,

Are you using that FZ35 Panasonic personally? I have two older Lumix's that I love but the cheaper DMC-LZ8 continually gets dust and debris on the image sensor and I've sent in twice to Panasonic. The DMC-TZ3 is going on 4 yrs and has been fantastic. I also use a Nikon Coopix L22 (I think) that is a POS (have two) and keeps breaking.