Warren Alderman Guest

Default Chimney Flashing

Last edited by Warren Alderman; 12-20-2007 at 06:57 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Chimney Flashing

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Alderman View Post
    Nails through the flashing are wrong in any world we live in, correct?

Also, is it required for the ends of the flashing to be sealed or is it just a "nice thang to do"?
    I don't think you will find it a requirement, but it is a nice thing as you say to do. Keep in mind unless it is a soldered seam they will seal it with a sealant from a tube and that will wear out in a few years.
    Under the step flashing you should have a "pan" that runs the length so any water the seeps behind the flashing should flow into or onto that pan.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Alderman View Post
    Nails through the flashing are wrong in any world we live in, correct?
    Correct.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Under the step flashing you should have a "pan" that runs the length so any water the seeps behind the flashing should flow into or onto that pan.
    Or other step flashing (which would be visible between the shingle courses, but is not in your photo).

The 'L' flashing is used in South Florida and other high wind areas, while step flashings are used in most of the rest of the country. At least, I've been told most of the country uses step flashings.

Having been in construction and inspection South Florida for 20 years (before I moved up here last year), all I ever saw were the 'L' flashings, but I know that step flashings are used in some areas - because you guys chastised me for our use of 'L' flashings down there .

Step flashings are subject to being lifted by the high winds (hurricanes) and having high wind driven rain blown in behind them through the gaps, whereas a continuous 'L' flashing does not suffer from those conditions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com