Default Wind Mitigation Inspection Understanding

I need to understand completely the stated verbaqe/requirements of the Wind Mitigation Form under ROOF TO WALL ATTACHMENT, "Attach to the top wall plate of the wall framing......" I do know the dimensions of the hurricane clips, but this statement is not very clear and can be interpreted many ways. Can someone basically walk me through this part of the form so that I'm able to provide my clients with accurate reporting.

Last edited by jp buchanan; 11-06-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Wind Mitigation Inspection Understanding

I think the dimension that has you confused is "less than 1/2" gap from blocking or truss/rafter and blocked no more than 1.5" of the truss rafter."
    What that means is that the clip/strap needs to be within 1/2" of the truss/rafter. As you know in a CBS house the clips/straps are in the tie beam (placed while concrete is wet.) if the clip/strap was not located in the tie beam in the right place the clip/strap can be shimmed with up to a 1.5" of wood to get the required 1/2" space. If the clip/strap is not tight to the truss, the truss can lift in high winds.

The "free from severe corrosion" is open to interpretation.

Basically if the clip/strap is not within 1/2" of the rafter/truss you should choose F. Other on the form and explain why.

Or, find a clip/strap within the required distance and be done with it.

Clips that don't have 3 nails get downgraded to toe nailed, and cost people about $1500 on their insurance. Have seen that several times recently.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Default Re: Wind Mitigation Inspection Understanding

Quote Originally Posted by jp buchanan View Post
    ROOF TO WALL ATTACHMENT, "Attach to the top wall plate of the wall framing......" .
    Basically, the clip/strap/wrap must be attached to the top of the wall (plate or bond beam).

What part of FL are you in? If you need a few ride along wind mits, let me know, I'm in the Orlando area.

Alternatively, check out some wind mit classes, as they can help with some of the basics.

Dom.