Default Garage slab cut out

Curious what the thoughts are on the purpose for this cut out in the slab of an attached garage on a house built in 1938. I'm not certain that the garage is original, but it has the appearance of having been in place for decades.

The slab cut out is in between the two vehicle openings and measured approx. 7' x 2.5". The conditon and coloration of the cut-out look no differnet than the main slab.

FYI -Oil tank was removed from the grassy area of the lest side yard (in the exterior picture), not believed to be related at all.

Dave

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Garage slab cut out

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hahn View Post
    Curious what the thoughts are on the purpose for this cut out in the slab of an attached garage on a house built in 1938. I'm not certain that the garage is original, but it has the appearance of having been in place for decades.

The slab cut out is in between the two vehicle openings and measured approx. 7' x 2.5". The conditon and coloration of the cut-out look no differnet than the main slab.

FYI -Oil tank was removed from the grassy area of the lest side yard (in the exterior picture), not believed to be related at all.

Dave
    My crystal ball is a little fuzzy, but if I was a betting man........ I would say that the cutout might have been the start of installing an underground storm shelter and that is about as far as they got. Honestly, it is one of those "who knows" finds!!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I bet the area was formed out during the garage slab pour. They filled it in later.

Maybe they left it open for drainage, a planter, who knows.

mother in laws resting spot

Dom...
    I agree that it looks like it was formed out orignally (rounded corners), rather than a subsequent cut out. But a planter??

Not much sunlight in there, so maybe Brian was right that it was a "resting spot."

Grandad never had a concrete saw, so good bet the floor was poured with that opening in it. Mind you, the garage may have been added in the 60's. I will bet there is a drain pipe under that patch. Something tells me we'll never know. Has anyone from that family gone missing?

Planter in a shady garage? No, but how about a planter in the living room? This brick bin was full of dirt, 1960 house. I'll bet the cats loved it. I suspect there've been a few burials in there.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Jimmy Hoffa's grave?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Dump pit for auto fluids? I saw something similar in an old commercial garage and it was full of gravel and gallons of oil/grease... apparently they hadn't got the memo about that stuff being frowned upon these days

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jimmy Hoffa's grave?
    Nope. Too easy for that lid to be pushed up from below.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The average length of a human body is 60" long (editr somewhere around six feet), and 18" wide and the average casket is 84" long X 28" wide X 23" high.

This information comes from the casket dimension guide of course http://www.dimensionsguide.com/casket-dimensions/ For those of you depending on the accuracy of this information I would suggest requesting a handy pocket guide.

Last edited by Franz Bailey; 08-30-2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: added information
    The full loathe honey, but to the hungry, even what is bitter tastes sweet.

So when the concrete arrives the owner says, "I want a grease pit to work on my car", Where do you want it? "Centered of course"......oops!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Bailey View Post
    The average length of a human body is 60" long and 18" wide and the average casket is 84" long X 28" wide X 23" high.
    60" long? The average human is 5' tall? Where are you getting your data?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."