Default Water softener connections

Do water softeners have integral protection for cross contamination?

I regularly see softener drain lines improperly tied to sinks, sewer pipes, etc.
    One today appeared to be routed to the sewer clean out underground.

My take is they need an air gap and stand pipe to prevent contamination.
    Any input?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Water softener connections

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Do water softeners have integral protection for cross contamination?

I regularly see softener drain lines improperly tied to sinks, sewer pipes, etc.
    One today appeared to be routed to the sewer clean out underground.

My take is they need an air gap and stand pipe to prevent contamination.
    Any input?
    To the best of my knowledge no. I write it up a couple times a month on new homes that did not have the home pre-plumbed with a loop, and the installers come back out and relocate the drain line or install a backflow device.
    Once in a while the home owner will call the installer while I'm there and have me talk to them , they will argue it and claim the chances of back flow are very low, I suggest they call the water company and get their take. Next thing I know they are scheduling a time to come and correct it with the homeowner.

Over the past couple months 5 neighbors had the same company install their softeners, the drain lines were connected directly to the sewer cleanouts. I guess they got a neighbor /quanity discount. I spoke to the installer/plumber on the first one, needless to say they all had to be corrected.
    I don't think that company likes me

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com